It is quite possible to make a decorative brick wall from plaster, polystyrene or tiles quickly and inexpensively. Our instruction will help.
Making a wall of plaster
- Inexpensive way. Such coverage does not require financial investments.
- Eco-friendly. The plaster does not contain harmful impurities.
- Simple. No special skills or tools are needed here. Just a little neatness and patience.
Before proceeding with the main work, it is necessary to prepare the surface – to remove the old finish. If it is not even, smooth it out with plaster and cover with a primer. Another option is to use drywall , this is a dry leveling method. However, if the area of the room is small, this method is unlikely to work, because the sheets will “eat up” the space.
Please note: if the apartment is in a new building, you can start decorating the room no earlier than 1 year after the house is delivered. Otherwise, the walls can shrink and cracks form.
After the surface is prepared for work, you can start marking. And there are two options here.
First: in some hardware stores they sell a ready-made mesh form, this method is easier, but also more expensive. Second: self-markup. How to make an imitation of a brick wall with your own hands?
- The standard brick size is 250 mm x 65 mm, the size of the joints is about 15 mm, although this is not essential, and, of course, they can be changed.
- Cut a brick out of cardboard with seams on the sides.
- Mark the center of the brick, also taking into account the seams. You should get a blank as in the photo below.
The markup starts from the left corner. Provide in advance the indents from the ceiling and floor – at least 5 cm.First, you can mark the area according to the lattice principle, indicating the grid, and then draw half the brick through the row. Circle the resulting stones and you have a standard brickwork.
It is convenient to use masking tape 15 mm thick. Glue the jumpers with an overlap, be sure to leave “tails” around the edges, so that later the tape can be easily removed.
If you forgot about the primer during the finishing phase, you can apply it directly over the tape now.
Solution preparation and application
You will need the following tools:
- Capacity for diluting the solution;
- Wide, narrow spatula;
- Gloves, oilcloth.
The most reliable solution is gypsum plaster and tile adhesive. You can knead it using a special attachment on a drill (mixer) or manually. What is important to consider? If you have no experience in repair work, do not immediately mix a large amount of the mixture. Do not have time to apply it – it will dry out.
Plaster can be applied either with a spatula or by hand. But it is better to level the solution with a wide spatula upward.
You need to tear off the tape immediately, without waiting for the gypsum to completely solidify! Otherwise, it will be impossible later on.
To make an imitation of a brick wall with your own hands look natural, you need to slightly tweak it. This is true if you have not leveled the surface before removing the tape.
When the bricks are frozen, you can again walk over them with sandpaper or, for example, make neat small chips. The surface texture depends only on your wishes.
Before applying paint , the surface must be prepared: walk with a dry brush, remove dust not only from stones, but also from gaps.
Then comes the primer. It is also important here not to forget about the gaps. After that, they start painting.
You can paint only stones, and leave the seams in their original form. Or paint over the seams. In this case, be careful, take a thin brush so as not to stain the brick if the paint is contrasting. It is advisable to choose one that can be washed. Moreover, if you are doing repairs in the kitchen. One of the suitable options is a conventional water emulsion.
By the way, instead of plaster, you can take plaster putty, the principle of operation will be the same.
Making a decorative foam brick wall
- This imitation holds well on the wall.
- Styrofoam is easy to cut and handle.
- It does not get dusty, which is important for interior work.
- Cheaper than plaster.
- The main disadvantage: low impact resistance, it easily crumples and breaks upon impact.
In this case, it is better to purchase dense foam with fine grain, it does not break or crumble when cutting.
It is most convenient to use liquid nails as an adhesive for single bricks, and polyurethane foam for a solid sheet .
How to make the imitation of brickwork on the wall as natural as possible? There are two ways to create such masonry.
The size of the bricks is exactly the same – 250 mm x 60 mm. If you have a sheet of expanded polystyrene (polystyrene) in front of you, then the optimal width of one product is about 12 mm.
The material is easy to cut with a regular construction knife with a sharp blade. Moreover, each detail will have its own texture.
Instead of individual bricks, you can make a decorative sheet that imitates masonry. Since the foam melts easily, a soldering iron is used for this. They are held at the seams, controlling the depth of pressing. Especially neat with the corners – they should be even, without rounding and bevels.
I must say, this method is suitable for those who are already familiar with the material; to do it perfectly the first time is unlikely to succeed. We need to practice.
When burning out, be sure to wear a mask, ventilate the room well! When melted, polystyrene emits harmful vapors.
They always begin to install bricks from the corner, then they lay door and window openings.
You can attach them directly to the wall using liquid nails, or on a sheet of drywall or plywood. Subsequently, such a sheet can be fixed on self-tapping screws. This method is more convenient, since the sheet lies on the floor, the work is carried out on a horizontal surface.
Painting and decor
Some leave the texture of the foam, while others cover it with putty – to give a special structure to the stone.
In any case, the material must be primed before painting. Choose your paint carefully, it can ruin the styrofoam. Solvent-free paints, such as water-based paints, are suitable. The result can be fixed with matt acrylic varnish.
We make an imitation of tiles
Today in the hardware store you can find several options for tiles. It is not only a standard ceramic, but also a modern soft elastic polyacrylic clinker.
Working with elastic clinker
- Very flexible material, fits on any surface, bends around even sharp corners.
- Easy to cut with long scissors, can be cut to any shape.
- UV and frost resistant, non-fading, breathable.
- Suitable for both interior decoration and house facades.
Surface preparation in this case is the same: it is leveled and primed. The difference is in the materials used. Most often, clinker is planted on tile adhesive, but the seller may advise you to purchase a special one from the manufacturer. Such a composition will make the tile more stable and solid.
- First, the rows are marked with a simple pencil and ruler.
- The glue is applied with a notched trowel; a layer of 2-3 mm is sufficient. It is not necessary to completely cover the entire area! Fill in small areas to prevent the adhesive from drying out.
- Apply the tiles gently without pressing hard. It’s easy to make half a brick, just cut it with scissors.
- After the main stage is completed, the glue on the seams is leveled with a thin brush slightly moistened with water.
- Elastic clinker does not require grouting. This is the undoubted merit of the material.
Features of solid materials
- Rigid gypsum tiles are cheaper than analogues. However, its main disadvantage is that it is not at all resistant to moisture, so it cannot be installed in rooms with an aggressive environment, for example, in a bathroom, in a kitchen. However, there are also products with a protective coating.
- Another type is made of cement . Inexpensive but durable, it is often used for indoor and outdoor decor. It is interesting that you can even make it yourself. The solution is simply poured into a special mold.
- Finally, the third type is clinker tiles. She has the highest operating characteristics, but the price is appropriate. It is rarely purchased for interior decoration.
The principle of working with rigid material is similar to working with elastic. The main difference is that you will have to cut the hard bricks, and you cannot do without the appropriate tools. You will need a circular saw or sander with a disc.
In addition, after installation, it is necessary to wipe the seams with a special compound. This must be done very carefully so as not to get on the stones, because it is difficult to scrub it off.
In general, if you have experience in laying tiles, there will be no problems.
The more light hits the brick wall, the more natural and natural it should look. A backlit decorative brick wall attracts attention, and if it is done inaccurately or of poor quality, it makes the interior cheaper.
Choose a color based on the overall color scheme of the room. Standard terracotta is suitable for warm interiors, cold gray for more brutal ones. By the way, it is better to add a little ocher to neutral white, so it will not seem flat and lifeless.