The porch awning is not only a practical element of the building that protects the front door and the area around it from bad weather, but also an excellent decorative component of the facade . It consists of two main parts – frame and cover. Installation of the frame has a lot of subtleties and rules that you need to know about in advance in order to properly install the awning over the porch of a private house.
Forms of awnings and their types
Any canopies can be divided into two types: suspended and supporting. In the first variant, the entire weight of the structure is held by the wall to which the frame is attached. Therefore, suspended awnings and awnings are best mounted from lightweight materials. Support options are more practical. Thanks to the additional support in the form of support pillars, you can save on space by turning the awning over the porch into a real terrace. Railings or fences are additionally installed to such structures for more serious protection from bad weather.
The shape of the canopies can be different. The most commonly used options are:
- single slope. When arranging them, the slope is placed from the house so that the water can flow down, and snow does not linger near the wall. For a similar shape, a gutter must be installed;
- gable. Canopies of this type are the most common, since their installation is not difficult. The slopes are arranged on both sides of the porch ;
- tent. Rounded or sectioned canopies perfectly protect against unpleasant weather conditions and visually ennoble the facade;
- arched. The canopies made in the form of an arc are mainly made of polycarbonate. This modern material, due to its properties, allows you to create truly unique designs;
- domed (spherical). Sheds of this type are smaller in area and, due to their good streamlined shape, are indicated for arrangement in areas with increased wind loads;
- concave. This design looks quite original with almost any facade. When installing such a structure, you can not be afraid of excessive accumulation of snow.
Basic requirements for the arrangement of awnings
There are certain rules for installing awnings over the porch of a private house. Photos of possible options show the arrangement in accordance with all regulatory requirements. So, when installing such a structure, you need to know the following subtleties:
- the minimum width of the awning should be at least 1.5 times the door;
- the awning must be strong and resistant to any wind loads;
- the slope of the slope cannot be less than 20º;
- the design should ideally match the main style of the facade.
Stages of work:
- The beam is necessary for the manufacture of support pillars and the frame of the future awning. The supports are fixed to the base and to the wall using large screws and dowels. It is possible to install a bar in wells with their subsequent filling with cement mortar or ordinary rubble.
- The installation of rafters is carried out on one side on a support board (or fixed directly on the wall), and on the other side on supports. To connect the elements of the truss structure, corners or self-tapping screws for wood are used.
- A crate is laid on top of the resulting frame. The distance between the boards should not exceed 90 cm, and their location should be such that they fall into the middle of the roofing material.
- Now you can start laying the roof. Its parts are also screwed with special screws.
Important! The lathing should be created strictly perpendicular to the rafter system.
Do-it-yourself metal awning over the porch
When creating a metal awning, ordinary or shaped metal pipes are used, which are deepened into the ground by about 50 cm, after which they are filled with cement mortar. The rafters can be made of duralumin or metal corner. It is also possible to use a wooden beam. The rafters are laid in such a way that the roof of the finished shed exceeds the area between the support pillars in area. Fastening of beams can be done with special fasteners or seams using welding.
If the covering of the awning over the porch with your own hands is made from a metal profile or metal tile, then the sheets must be overlapped to avoid leaks. Before laying the profile, you should take care of high-quality hydro and vapor barrier.
Polycarbonate awning without pillars
The awning made of polycarbonate looks great over the porch of a private house. Photos of the various options presented below demonstrate the uniqueness of style solutions. Such sheds do not require special conditions, they perfectly withstand both the hottest days and severe subzero temperatures. Due to the lightness of the covering material, they can be freely attached to the wall of the house without additional supports.
Arrangement of a polycarbonate awning. Stages of work
- The mounting location is marked on the wall.
- The frame of the future structure is made of shaped square pipes. All elements are welded together.
- Holes are made in the frame, with which it will be attached to the wall.
- The resulting structure is screwed to the wall, then treated with special anti-corrosion compounds and painted.
- Polycarbonate sheets are being installed.
When fixing cellular polycarbonate, you must adhere to some rules. The end sections must be covered with a special sealing tape. The sheets are fastened together using connecting profiles. Mandatory sealing of the junction of the awning itself and the wall in order to avoid leaks during bad weather.
Important! If an arched structure is planned, then it is possible to bend the polycarbonate sheet by a radius of no more than 70 cm. Otherwise, the sheet may burst.