Canopies and awnings for a terrace and a veranda are an opportunity to give a building a noble look and at the same time make rational use of the adjacent territory. Depending on the wishes and financial capabilities of the owners of the house, there are many different options for arranging a canopy and awning for a terrace and veranda. Consider all possible design options, their advantages, disadvantages and features.
Canopies and Awnings for the terrace and veranda: design features
Today the word “Canopies” is a much broader concept than a few years ago. Retractable fabric structures and vertical frame less partitions, designed to protect their owner from strong winds and sunlight, are now also called this term. Due to their wide functional range, as well as the ability to significantly decorate the local area, these automated awnings have gained wide popularity among owners of country houses.
What is the difference between the awning we are used to and the awning? While a conventional awning has a rigid, fixed, fixed frame, the opening level of the awning can be adjusted as desired. Consider what features should be considered if you decide to mount the structure yourself:
- the awning is attached to the wall of the building on one side;
- to fold or twist it does not require dismantling the system;
- the functions of the finished system are fully automated.
Canopies for the veranda – choice of material
The most common material used for the manufacture of Canopies and Awnings is acrylic canvas. With excellent water-repellent, wind-resistant and anti-reflective properties, this fabric has an aesthetic and elegant appearance. In addition, the temperature range for the use of acrylic is very wide.
The price of acrylic canvas is determined mainly by the country of origin. The cost of a standard 1.5-meter roll on average can be from 11$ to 16$ per 1 running meter.
Polyester canvas is also a very common material for creating Canopies and Awnings due to its cost and characteristics. This fabric has increased strength thanks to the polyurethane impregnation. Because of this, it is often used for car and parking tents.
The cost of one running meter of Korean-made polyester cloth ranges from 3.50$ to 4.50$. The fabric made in the USA is considered to be of higher quality, and prices for the same amount of material start at 12$.
PVC cloth is another way to decorate the awning. Smooth, glossy surface will perfectly decorate your local area. In addition, this is the most budgetary option of all. Prices for this type of fabric start at 2$ per running meter. PVC is highly durable, so that the transmission of snow or water is excluded. In this case, the canopy will not sag under the weight of the accumulated precipitation on it. The range of permissible temperatures of use is very wide – from -30 to 50 ° C.
To improve the quality characteristics of the PVC cloth used for covering awning awnings, it is treated with specialized impregnations:
- Teflon coating improves moisture repellency, while creating a protective layer on the fabric from dirt and UV rays. Teflon-impregnated material will not stretch over time, wrinkle or wrinkle;
- antiseptic coating makes the fabric more durable, preventing the formation of mold and various kinds of fungi on the surface;
- UV filters are designed to provide travelers with maximum comfort in sunny weather, giving the fabric anti-reflective properties.
Varieties of Canopies and Awnings for terraces and verandas
Awnings and canopies for terraces and verandas are different and, depending on the mechanism of the structure, the way of control and the intended purpose, are divided into several groups.
Terrace and veranda awnings
One of the options for decorating and protecting the terrace from wind and rain are awnings. Depending on the shape of the structure and appearance, they can be divided into the following types: attached and detached.
Attached awnings are mounted close to the building, thus forming a space close to one side. This option is most often used to create a terrace near the entrance to the house.
Freestanding awnings are essentially just a roof that stands on several supports and are often used to create a parking space.
In shape, awnings are distinguished by straight, inclined and complex awnings. The first option is the simplest and cheapest, it is a single plane fixed on supports. The second design is more difficult to manufacture and install, but it allows rainwater or melting snow to drain away without accumulating on the roof. Complex structures are curved and are used to create an unusual exterior on the site.
Almost anything can serve as a material for making a canopy. The main thing is that its characteristics ensure that the roof is resistant to external conditions. The most common options are:
- professional flooring;
- metal tile;
At the same time, the frame can be made of wood, metal, concrete and even brick and stone.
Making a canopy with your own hands is quite simple. And professional flooring is the most suitable option for this. This popular material is easy to purchase in the store and does not require special skills or equipment to work with it. Installation of the canopy takes place in several stages:
- points of support are determined, and pits 50-60 cm deep are dug in these places;
- install vertical supports and fill them with concrete;
- after about a week, when the concrete hardens, horizontal beams are mounted;
- a crate of pipes is attached to the horizontal beams, which will hold the sheets of corrugated board;
- with the help of self-tapping screws, the corrugated board is laid on the crate.
Types of canopies designs
Depending on the intended purpose, there are showcase (window), greenhouse (balcony), pergola and vertical canopies. Let’s consider each type of canopies in more detail.
Showcase (window) canopies is an external curtain located vertically. It is designed to protect the premises from direct sunlight. Externally, it is a vertical canvas with a visor in the upper part of the structure, which allows you to move the vertical of the canvas at a distance from the window frames. There are options without a visor.
The amount of sunlight penetrating can be easily controlled by opening or closing the curtain wall. The design of such an canopies is mostly standard and consists of support brackets located in the middle of the height of the window opening. The distance from the awning to the slopes is on average 10-15 cm.This is done so that in the open form the canvas protrudes from the wall at a distance of 60-100 cm.
Terrace awnings have a different design primarily due to their size and windage. They are often called elbow awnings, since in this case you cannot do without a rigid structure in the form of a beam, which is attached to the wall. Due to its size, such an awning has to experience significant bending loads. In order for the rigid frame to withstand all this, bearings are additionally used in the creation of the structure.
Depending on your desire, using a variety of materials and racks of various designs, you can create summer gazebos, rotundas or belvederes, which will become real masterpieces of landscape architecture.
Greenhouse (balcony) canopies are structures of two or three sections, which create a “sloping” roof with a canopy. To control the penetration of sunlight, a special longitudinal beam is used, located in the middle of the departure. With its help, the awning and the visor can be raised and lowered.
Pergola canopies are used to create summer canopies around the house, open verandas, pergolas , rotundas, patios and other most popular types of mobile country architecture. A feature of this design is the presence of two or more additional supports designed to increase the strength of the structure and improve its quality characteristics when exposed to wind load.
Vertical canopies – a simple structure, which is a vertical wall. They are used to create mobile gazebos, as well as for fencing pergolas.
Canopies control mechanisms
Depending on the mechanism of the structure, the following types of canopies are distinguished: basket, lever-roll and awning.
The lever-roll mechanism is equipped with two folding brackets. According to the principle of the device, they resemble hands that unwind a web wound on a special roller. Rotating, the mechanism opens the awning and opens the awning.
The basket mechanism , or as it is also called the domed mechanism , is a structure consisting of several arcs that perform a supporting function. Arcs can be of any shape: round, oval, rectangular. They can be of any height and length, but they are all united by a common axis of rotation. Such a system is formed with the help of a lanyard mechanism – all arcs are connected with a special cord, which is fixed at the very bottom. Thus, by pulling the cord, the awning can be assembled, and if the cord is released, the structure will open.
A marquisolet is a mechanism designed to ensure maximum stability of extended structures in strong winds. Its design consists of two parts: the upper one, on which the canvas is placed vertically, and the lower one, on which the awning forms a visor. The ratio of parts of the structure can be easily adjusted manually.
Depending on the way the awning is controlled, the following options can be distinguished:
- manual drive;
- electric drive;
- on remote control.
Helpful advice! Remote controls with all kinds of sensors have been developed especially for lovers of comfort. This way you can control the position of the awning, taking into account the wind strength and the intensity of the sun’s rays.
Proper care of your canopies
In order for your canopies to serve you as long as possible, it is recommended to comply with the following operating rules:
- in cold weather, when the canopies is not in demand, it is recommended to “preserve” the structure with a specially designed cover, or contact a specialist to dismantle the structure intact and safe;
- at least once a year, it is necessary to carry out maintenance of the structure: change the lubricant (especially for retractable canopies) and adjust all elements of the product;
- it is forbidden to hang various kinds of objects on the awning that may harm or provoke the fall of the structure or its parts;
- if your awning model does not have a sensor that regulates the strength of the wind and, according to the conditions, folds the canvas, then the structure requires constant supervision. So, when leaving home for a long time, it is necessary to roll up the awning so that it is not blown off by the wind during your absence.
Helpful advice! It is strongly not recommended to try to disassemble the structure yourself. It is based on powerful springs, which can cause serious injury if handled carelessly.
DIY canopies creation step by step
Like any other simple construction of this type, the canopies can be made independently. To do this, you will need to set aside a few hours of free time, purchase the components and, of course, have a set of necessary tools with you. Consider the step-by-step instructions for installing a conventional window canopies:
- first of all, it is necessary to make a schematic drawing of the future awning, taking into account its dimensions, height from the floor to the lower and upper points of the canopy canvas, the width of the awning and the amount of its extension from the wall;
- according to the drawing, purchase material for the canopy. For independent work, the best option is acrylic fabric. In addition, it has all the necessary technical characteristics;
- choose and purchase the material from which the frame will be made. Here the undisputed leader is aluminum pipes, since they are very lightweight, but at the same time strong enough to withstand the load created by the canopies, and do not corrode. Although you can often find frames made of enameled steel pipes;
- purchasing a folding mechanism and connecting it to the frame and canvas is the best option for solving all functional problems;
- after all the components have been purchased, you can proceed with the installation. According to the scheme, the frame is assembled and the fabric is cut out. The folding mechanism is attached to the wall and synchronized with the frame and canvas.
Thus, if you use a ready-made folding mechanism, you can easily make an canopies yourself. On average, this takes 80$ to 107$.
The frame for the canopies can be not only metal, but also wooden. In this case, a bar is used, which is treated with a special antiseptic. It reduces the level of destructive effects of external factors. Then the tree must be painted or opened with ship varnish.
However, even if these conditions are met, the wooden frame cannot be called very durable. One way or another, the tree is subject to drying out and moisture absorption. And insects, despite all preventive measures, can cause significant damage to the material.
Canopies and Awnings for a summer residence are not only a wonderful decoration for your site, but an opportunity to use the territory adjacent to the house with benefit.
No matter how great your financial capabilities are, the price of an awning for a terrace and veranda will please you anyway. By creating or choosing ready-made unusual designs, you can give your possessions an original appearance and completely new functional qualities.