A lean to roof is not as popular in our area as a classic lean to roof, but it has a number of advantages of its own. Installation of such a design allows not only to save on materials, but also to reduce the roof sail, as well as give the building an original look. In this article “diy lean to roof” you can find everything you need to build such a structure as a drawings and photos and much more.
The project of a house with a lean to roof: what you need to consider
First of all, it is worth considering the nuances of the structure on which the roof is mounted. For example, if you plan to build a gazebo with a shed roof, then you can make it unventilated. This means that there is no need for special structural features that will allow air to pass through the roofing. It is sufficient to clean the non-ventilated structure in a timely manner from debris and snow so that the load on the supports does not exceed the permissible norm.
The ventilated roof is installed in residential premises or where natural air circulation is required. Ventilation is provided through the use of breathable materials for insulation, vapor and waterproofing, and special ventilation holes are made in the roofing material along the edges of the roof. This design requires more careful care, since it is easier to penetrate moisture.
DIY lean to roof: drawings and photos, the importance of accounting for wind roses
If you are planning a shed roof for a bathhouse or other building, then the direction of the ramp is very important. It is selected based on the direction in which the wind most often blows in your area. With the correct location of the ramp, as well as the optimal angle of inclination, the wind itself will blow away debris, water and snow from the roof. If this parameter is calculated incorrectly, then at high wind speeds the roof can be torn down.
Take into account the direction and average wind speed is necessary at the design stage of the roof structure. You can find out these data at your local meteorological center.
The relationship of the angle of inclination and roofing material
The slope angle of a shed roof for a garage, bathhouse, apartment building or farm building depends not only on the strength and direction of the wind, but also on the type of roofing material that you decide to use. Modern building codes recommend adhering to the following parameters:
- for slate, metal , corrugated board or ondulin, the angle of inclination should be more than 12 °. An angle of 6-12 ° is allowed, but then you have to take care of the high level of tightness of horizontal and vertical joints between sheets of material. Otherwise, moisture will leak out in them, which will negatively affect the service life of the entire structure, as well as the level of its hydro and thermal insulation;
- the slope angle for tiles should be at least 10 °, for cement-sand or ceramic, and at least 12 ° for bitumen. If you are doing the do-it-yourself garage roof with steel sheets, then the angle should be at least 17 °;
- for shale or asbestos cement, the optimum angle of inclination is one that exceeds 27 °;
- for all other roofing materials, this value varies from 20 to 30 degrees.
Useful advice! If you do not want the roof to be pushed out by snow, blown away by the wind or flooded by rain, then the slope should be done more than 30 °, choosing the appropriate material for this.
Features of using various roofing materials
The photo of houses with a lean to roof clearly shows that for such a design you can use a wide variety of types of roofing materials. When choosing the best option, certain criteria must be taken into account.
Type of construction . The requirements for the roof largely depend on the purpose of the building. Between a residential building, a bathhouse or a garage, there are significant differences in design features that must be considered when designing a roof. For example, for residential premises, it is necessary to equip a durable, reliable and attractive roof , and farm buildings can be covered with cheap material without any special aesthetic frills.
The service life of the building material . Of course, the durability of the roof in most cases depends on the quality of its installation, but the selected roofing material also matters. When choosing, it should be borne in mind that the average service life, for example, of natural tiles is 100 years, and flexible – 20-40. If you plan to make diy lean to roof with your own hands, then you can use ondulin , whose durability ranges from 15 to 25 years.
The shape of the roof . If you plan to make a regular straight slope, then for this purpose you can use any type of material. For the implementation of projects of single-lean to roofs with a large number of superstructures in the form of turrets, viewing windows or steps, you should not use ordinary tiles, since the material consumption will be too large. If you need a complex shape of the ramp, then to cover it it is better to purchase bituminous tiles or other similar material with a lot of small elements.
Financial opportunity . When this factor is taken into account, it is necessary to consider not only the cost of the roofing material itself, but also the rafter system for it, fasteners and installation. The most economical options are traditionally corrugated, ondulin or metal . To install a roof made of ceramic or cement-sand tile, you will need a complex rafter system, as well as a rather complicated installation, so these materials will cost much more.
The complexity of laying the coating . Projects, photos of houses with a lean to roof always look attractive, but do not forget that, most likely, professional builders were engaged in installation. If you do not have specialized building skills, then this process can be much more complicated, and the result is worse than in the photo. Therefore, you should not choose on the go the most difficult to install material.
If you want the roof to look attractive from an aesthetic point of view, and also have high performance characteristics, then pay great attention to the complexity of laying this or that roofing.
Appearance . This parameter entirely depends on your aesthetic preferences, as well as the general style in which the building was completed. As you can see in the photo, garages with lean to roofs can also look very attractive, not to mention residential buildings. The main thing here is to choose the right texture and color of the roofing material.
After you have familiarized yourself with all the above parameters, you can proceed directly to the purchase of material. The modern construction market offers the following options:
- corrugated board;
- metal tile;
- ceramic tile;
- aluminum sheets;
- roofing steel;
- membrane coating.
If you are wondering how to make a shed roof on a barn or other similar building, then it is worth considering the advantages and disadvantages of each type of material.
What is good metal tile
A metal tile is a sheet roofing material, the sheet thickness of which is up to 0.6 mm. In the section, the tile sheet has a layered structure, and the top layer is coated with a special polymer coating. Thanks to such structural features, the material is characterized by a high level of reliability and durability.
The service life indicated by the manufacturer is about 15 years, but with proper installation and care it can be twice as long. In addition, the material boasts the following advantages:
- It can withstand heavy loads – up to 1500 kg / m²;
- characterized by attractive appearance and a wide variety of design options;
- differs in simplicity in installation that allows to use it even to beginners in the field of construction;
- it is not rare to see on the photo of private houses shed roofs made of metal tiles, which clearly show that the surface of the material imitates natural tiles;
- complete with the material are all the necessary fasteners and components for installation;
- lightweight, which reduces the load on the rafter system;
- It is relatively inexpensive.
There are not so many significant shortcomings in this type of roofing material, which makes it very popular in the market. Features of its design can enhance noise effects from wind, hail or rain, and with a complex roof configuration, too much material is obtained.
Useful advice! For a roof made of metal, it is important to arrange enhanced noise insulation, since not everyone will like the rain drumming on the roof.
The features of the installation of this type of material include the fact that the optimal angle of inclination of the ramp for it should be at least 12 °. Also, when installing the insulation, it is necessary to make a vapor barrier layer, otherwise condensation will form on the inner side of the tile sheets. The lathing, according to most projects of frame houses with a shed roof made of metal, is made of timber.
According to the results, we can say that the metal tile is one of the most unpretentious in the installation of roofing materials, which has a large number of advantages.
Installation of a lean to roof from corrugated board
Decking is corrugated metal sheets. A shed roof made of corrugated board does not look as attractive as a metal tile, but the material itself will cost you less, so it is a good option for a limited budget. The advantages of the material include the following:
- long service life – with proper installation it is about 20 years;
- low weight of sheets of material, which makes it easy to do it yourself;
- high level of strength;
- prostate in installation and unpretentiousness in operation;
- a wide selection of colors for the implementation of your design ideas;
- large selection of sheet sizes.
A good option for the construction of a shed roof from corrugated board – to the garage and other outbuildings. It should be borne in mind that the material also has its drawbacks:
- amplification of noise effects from rain, hail or gusts of wind. You can get rid of this only by installing a thick layer of noise insulation and qualitatively mounting the entire roofing pie;
- susceptibility to corrosion. If you are doing a lean to roof from corrugated board with your own hands, then you need to monitor the integrity of the polymer coating of the material. In places where it is absent, rust quickly forms, therefore, such areas should be immediately covered with a special composition;
- ugly appearance compared to other roofing materials.
As for the features of installing such a roof, they consist in the fact that when laying it is necessary to act with extreme caution, and you should only step on the bottom of the wave, otherwise you risk deforming the sheet. If you want to know how to make a shed roof on a garage or an outbuilding so that it lasts as long as possible, then the angle of inclination should be 20-45 degrees. In this case, snow or debris will not accumulate on the roof due to the smooth and slippery surface of the material.
The roof truss system is made of corrugated board in the same way as for other types of roofing materials. To do this, dry boards and bars are used, it is best if they are made of coniferous wood. The material itself is characterized by very low weight, so you can not do additional reinforcement of rafters and trim beams.
In the photo of gazebos with a single-lean to roof made of corrugated board, it can be seen that for this type of construction, waterproofing and insulation are not needed, just one layer of material is enough. Of course, if you need to build a shed with a shed roof from this material, then you can not do without a minimum roofing cake.
The corrugated board is fixed with the help of self-tapping screws. The sheets should be fastened to each other with an overlap of 25-30 cm, and you need to move when fastening from the bottom up. The step between fasteners depends on the type of sheet and wave size, so this parameter should be specified upon purchase.
Useful advice! Do not screw the screws too tight, otherwise you will damage the insulation and the top layer of the coating. In order to prevent the attachment points from being corroded, it is recommended to cover them with special paint or varnish.
As you can see, corrugated board is mounted as simple as metal tile, while having a slightly less aesthetic appeal, but also a lower cost. A good option for farm buildings and non-residential buildings.
Ondulin is also called Euro-slate, and it looks like corrugated sheets of cellulose fibers that are impregnated with bitumen. The upper layer of ondulin is a special coating that protects against moisture and other negative phenomena. If you plan to make a one-roof roof from an ondulin an extension to the house, then you should know about its positive and negative qualities.
The first category includes the following:
- high level of resistance to various negative climatic influences, for example, to rain or snow;
- large longitudinal flexibility, which allows it not to break under the action of large loads, but only to bend;
- very light weight of sheets – only 4 kg / m²;
- can be mounted on top of the old roof as a secondary coating;
- differs in a long service life – about 50 years;
- It boasts high water resistance.
- not particularly attractive appearance, there are practically no variety of colors and shades (usually only three options are presented on the market), the relief pattern is weak;
- loses its color about 5 years after the start of operation;
- at low temperatures it becomes brittle and can easily break under pressure.
In the photo of the single-lean to roofs of private houses from ondulin it is clearly seen that for this type of roofing material a relatively small slope angle of the slope is characteristic – from 6 degrees. By the way, the type of crate for this material largely depends on the slope of the ramp.
Ondulin is good in that it can be used for the construction of any type of building. It is used in private construction, agriculture, in the construction of industrial buildings and outbuildings to the house. Its price is not too high, so such a choice will not hit your wallet.
Features of a roof from a bituminous tile
The basis of the so-called bituminous tiles is fiberglass or organic cellulose. Sheets of these materials are impregnated with bitumen (hence the name), and the outer side is covered with basalt granulate. This type of roofing costs much more than the previous ones, however this is more than compensated by its advantages:
- when installing bituminous tiles, a very small percentage of waste is obtained;
- it can be laid on slopes with complex geometry and a large number of add-ons;
- It boasts excellent sound and waterproofing characteristics;
- the weight of a square meter of material is up to 20 kg;
- tolerates temperature extremes, as well as high and low temperatures;
- not lit, and also characterized by self-extinguishing;
- It has an attractive appearance and a wide range of colors and design options;
- durable – up to 60 years of service;
- resistant to mechanical stress;
- can imitate the pattern of other types of tiles.
For a one-story house with a lean to roof, bitumen shingles are almost an ideal choice if you have enough finance for this. The disadvantages of the material include the following:
- increased fragility of the material at low temperatures;
- installation requires a continuous crate and ventilation system equipment;
- high price.
The project of a one-story house with a lean to roof made of bituminous tiles implies a slope angle of 18 degrees.
Slate as one of the cheapest materials
The main advantage of such a roofing material as slate is its service life. With proper installation and care, it exceeds 50 years, and this is a very good indicator. In addition, slate is characterized by the following advantages:
- very inexpensive;
- does not conduct electricity;
- resistant to corrosion and high temperatures.
The disadvantages include the large weight of the sheets, as a result of which it is difficult to mount them alone, as well as the fragility of slate, the harmfulness of asbestos dust to health and an unattractive appearance.
Useful advice! If you choose slate as a coating for the roof, then the grayness of its design can be diluted by painting the surface of the sheets with special paints.
Roofing steel and aluminum – cheap and cheerful
At a cost, roofing steel may well compete with slate and other inexpensive materials. Its advantages include ease of installation and operation, low weight and the ability to cover slopes with a complex configuration. The last parameter is achieved due to the great flexibility of steel sheets.
Unfortunately, this material has a number of significant drawbacks. The main one is a very high level of noise during precipitation. During rain or hail, even the best sound insulation does not save from the noise of steel sheets, therefore this type of material is mainly used for outbuildings.
Another minus is the modest appearance. It is so beautiful to make a lean to roof for a bathhouse from a roofing steel as from a metal tile – it will not work with all desire, so steel sheets are used where saving comes first, not design.
A roof made of aluminum sheets is characterized by almost the same advantages and disadvantages as steel ones. The only significant difference is the installation method. The aluminum roof is attached to the crate with the help of special klyimers – tongues, which allow the sheets to move at temperature extremes, thus eliminating their deformation.
Ceramic tiles – commitment to tradition
The project of a two-story house with a shed roof made of ceramic tiles has been considered a classic for more than one hundred years. Nowadays, this material can be made from fired clay or from a mixture of sand and cement. The properties of both options are very similar, but the second is characterized by a larger thickness and rough design.
The following qualities can be attributed to the advantages of tiles:
- high level of heat and noise insulation;
- resistance to various kinds of climatic influences;
- environmental friendliness;
- very high service life – more than 100 years;
- Large selection of design options and colors.
If we talk about the disadvantages of tiles, then this is a lot of weight, because of which it will be necessary to mount a reinforced rafter system, difficulty in installation and a rather high cost. On the other hand, a roof from a tile will give your house an aristocratic look, and it is worth paying for it.
How do lean to roofs from different materials look at the photo
If you want your house or other building to look as attractive as possible, then not the cheapest materials should be used to equip the roof. For example, natural tiles of classic red color will immediately tell guests about your good taste and well-being.
If you use budget options for roofing materials, then try to select them so that they represent your home in the most favorable light. Before choosing a material, it is recommended to look at the Internet for photos of buildings with it, so you will learn a more complete picture of its aesthetic qualities.