One of the important conditions for comfortable living in an apartment is the correct microclimate and the absence of extraneous odors in it. Ventilation is responsible for both points. It depends on the quality of the installation of this system whether mold will form in the rooms or condensation on the windows, whether unpleasant odors will appear and stagnate. The latter problem especially often arises in the bathroom, over time, spreading to the rest of the apartment, if not dealt with. Let’s try to figure out what to do if the ventilation in the toilet works in the opposite direction.
How to check if the ventilation system in the toilet is working?
First of all, it is worth checking whether the problem really lies in the malfunctioning of the ventilation. To do this, you can invite specialists to your home who can easily test the system using professional equipment.
But there are more affordable and quicker ways to check the efficiency of ventilation in the toilet, which you can use yourself:
- You can bring a lighted candle, match, or lighter to the ventilation grill. If the system is working properly, then the flame will tilt towards the grate, that is, the ventilation draws in air from the room. If, on the contrary, the air goes from the ventilation to the toilet, the flame will deflect away from the grate.
- You can also check the traction with the help of a sheet attached to the grill. Provided that the ventilation is in good condition, it will stick to the surface of the grill and hold on to it on its own. If there is no traction, this effect will not work and the leaf will fall.
For these tests to show the correct result, you must close the toilet door and open the window, if any, before performing them.
What causes an unpleasant smell from the ventilation?
The main reason for the lack of draft in the ventilation system is the lack of fresh air flow into the room. This can happen because:
- The doors were installed too tight in the toilet, and air does not enter the room.
- The apartment is rarely ventilated, and the entrance metal entrance and metal-plastic interior doors do not let the air flow through.
- The neighbors from the apartment below installed a very powerful fan in the ventilation.
- The ventilation duct is clogged, as a result of which the air flow is impaired.
These are the most common reasons. Only a specialist will help you identify the problem and suggest a competent solution to it because often the cause of the smell is unclear at first glance – the problem may arise even due to improper operation of the system by neighbors.
How to solve the problem of unpleasant smell from toilet ventilation?
After determining the cause of the problem, you can proceed to solve it. Naturally, further actions will depend on whether you can cope with the smell yourself. For example, in case of serious pollution of the ventilation shaft, you will still have to contact specialists, since it will not be possible to clean it yourself.
What to do if the room is “sealed”:
- Leave a gap of about two centimeters under the door in the toilet.
- If there is no way to make a gap, then special valves can be installed in the doors that will allow air to enter the room.
- A window or just a small window between the toilet and another room in the apartment will help solve the problem with the supply of fresh air.
- Supply ventilation of the room will be improved if a special mechanism is installed on it, which carries out photocatalytic filtration. Such a filter will purify the air to the degree of sterility. The disadvantage of this system is that the price is too high.
- As a last resort, you can leave the toilet door open or partially open.
- If the ventilation in the bathroom and toilet are shared, then the bathroom door can also be left ajar when not in use.
If you are unable to cope with the problem on your own, it is best to contact the professionals!
What can be done if the ventilation problem is related to the neighbors:
- If your neighbors have installed a fan, then your only option is to install an even more powerful exhaust fan.
- Another option is to talk to your neighbors and come to an agreement that suits both parties.
- If the experts find out that in one of the neighboring apartments the norms for the use of ventilation were violated (for example, a kitchen hood was connected to it), you should contact the head of the house or the management company. Such actions are illegal and must be suppressed.
In any case, such issues are best dealt with directly with neighbors first. It is quite possible that they will understand what mistake they have made and remove all installations that interfere with normal air circulation in the house.
How to clean the ventilation in the apartment yourself
When self-cleaning the ventilation duct in the apartment, the sequence of work will be as follows:
- Remove the ventilation grill. If dust or other contaminants have accumulated on it, we wipe it with a cloth soaked in soapy water or wash it under running water.
- The most convenient way to clean the walls is to use a scraper.
- Finish dry cleaning with a vacuum cleaner. The hose is directed inside the ventilation duct and the dust is sucked into the vacuum cleaner.
- Damp cleaning of ventilation is best done with a sponge or cloth soaked in a solution of neutral cleaning agents.
Residents of the house are obliged to maintain the engineering communications located on the territory of each apartment in proper condition. That is why it is important to clean the ventilation at least once every six months.
Installing a fan in an exhaust hood in a toilet
For forced ventilation, special exhaust fans are often used. Centrifugal and axial systems are suitable for toilets.
The main criterion for choosing a fan is its power. It is the fans indicated above that have sufficient efficiency to perform their functions in residential premises, but at the same time, they do not make noise and do not discharge the atmosphere (such an effect can adversely affect the well-being of apartment residents).
Any fans are mounted either on the wall or on the ceiling. Moreover, the methods of their installation are also different: they can be radial or channel type. In some models, there is also a channel valve, thanks to which odors from other rooms will not penetrate the toilet.
How to install a fan in the toilet:
- Choose the right location for the fan. The exhaust and supply systems should be located opposite each other, that is, the most successful location for forced ventilation will be the area directly under the ceiling or on it opposite the front door.
- Now you need to mark the ventilation holes, take care of the wiring in the case of a mechanical fan. If the exhaust opening does not match the size of the fan, then a piece of pipe, the diameter of which will coincide with the size of the fan, is well suited for their strong connection. The wires can be hidden with special plastic boxes.
- The fan itself is attached to the exhaust vent with glue. The cover is unscrewed from the fan, the junction is greased with glue, then the mechanism is installed in place. It is best to hold it for a few minutes until the glue starts to harden.
A properly installed fan will help you get rid of the toilet odor problem from the ventilation system.