We will tell you how to choose a place for a picture, and what to hang it on without harm to cover the walls. We also give step-by-step instructions for hanging a multi panel decor.
Features of decor from modules
Many people liked the unusual canvases, consisting of several parts. Their peculiarity is that the overall composition is divided into fragments, which are fixed at a distance from one another. This has a special effect if there are many elements and they are placed at different levels. Given their characteristics, some find it difficult how to hang modular paintings on the wall. Much depends on the number of fragments that make up the decor.
Types of modular paintings:
- diptych, includes two parts;
- triptych – three elements;
- penaptych – five parts;
- polyptych – more than five elements.
The last two are the hardest to hang correctly. The sizes and number of elements do not depend on each other in any way. You can find polyptychs made of small-sized elements or impressive diptychs.
Choosing a place for the canvas
In order for the image to fit well into the interior, you need to choose the right place for it. Large compositions will not work in cramped, furnished rooms. For them, you need to completely empty the wall.
When choosing a location for the module, it is important to remember about the correct lighting . It should be enough to make the colors play. To do this, you may need to put on a backlight . Natural light isn’t always good for the canvas. So, oil paints quickly fade and deteriorate in direct sunlight.
The image is perceived well when positioned at the correct height. Usually it is 150-160 cm from the floor level. You can do otherwise. At eye level, a mark is placed on the wall through which a horizontal line is drawn. She should divide the canvas in half. A piece located at this level is perceived best.
It remains to determine at what distance from one another to fix the blocks. There is only one strict rule here: they must run parallel to each other. The slightest bias is unacceptable. It is too noticeable and spoils the impression of the composition. Fragments are “separated” at different distances. This is individual and depends on several factors:
- block size;
- the size of the wall;
- the presence of the frame and its width.
The optimal gap is considered to be 20-40 mm.
Choosing a mounting method
Each of the fragments of the module is constructively a separate canvas . It can be secured in any suitable way. The main thing is that the fasteners are reliable. It must withstand the weight of the painting for a long time. The easiest way is to install a self-tapping screw as a fastener by screwing it into a dowel. This is done with solid foundations: concrete, brick, etc. Nails of the required length are driven into the tree.
In any case, after dismantling, holes will remain on the wall. You do not need to spoil the base, but then you will have to use a different type of fasteners.
Double sided tape
Cloth tape with adhesive on both sides . Very handy for securing light objects. It is important to choose the material so that it will securely hold the product.
How to properly hang a modular painting using double-sided tape
- We cut the tape into pieces 10-12 cm long. Each block will need at least four such pieces. It all depends on its size.
- We remove the protective film from one side of the adhesive tape and apply it to the back of the frame . Be sure to grab the corners.
- Remove the film from the second side of the tape.
- With a precise movement with little effort, we press the frame to the place intended for installation.
A durable adhesive that will securely fix the structure to the base. The only condition that must be observed when choosing this method of fastening is a perfectly aligned base. The frame is tightly pressed against it, even small flaws will become noticeable, manifested in the form of distortions of the modules.
How to attach a painting to liquid nails
- Place the block on a flat surface with the outside facing down.
- Preparing the glue for work. We apply it in a continuous strip along the entire perimeter of the frame. If the fragment is small, you can apply the adhesive in sections.
- We press the part to the base, focusing on the markup. Until the adhesive has hardened, and this takes a few minutes, the structure can be moved by leveling. Remove the traces of glue immediately.
The fasteners are specially designed for gentle, but reliable fastening of structures. He received the name for the distant resemblance to a spider. This is a hook, in the wide upper part of which there are several thin studs. They are made of durable metal and are pointed. Therefore, they easily enter any material. The number of carnations varies from two to five. The more there are, the more firmly the fasteners are held in place.
How to attach modules to the wall using hooks
- Pull the carnations one by one towards the top of the hook.
- We put it in the right place.
- We hammer nails into the base with a hammer.
Spiders do not look very reliable, but they hold a lot of weight. Depending on the size, frames weighing from 2 to 9 kg can be hung on them.
Outwardly, they resemble double-sided tape. The difference is that the adhesive layer is applied only on one side. On the other, a contact tape or Velcro is attached. One half is mounted on the wall, the other on the frame. Then the halves of the contact tape are joined. They hold the canvas well in place. Installing fasteners is not difficult.
There are many more options for what to pin the image to . It is convenient to use the so-called “smart lock”. These are small polyurethane rectangles that can be easily attached to any base. The blocks on the suspension system look original. This is a ceiling-mounted bracket made of metal, wood or plastic. On it are suspended cords or slats, to which the components of the composition are attached.
With their help, the elements are fixed at different heights, the distance between them is adjusted. Sometimes a lifting mechanism is installed on the suspension systems. Then the modules can be raised or lowered by choosing a suitable height for their location. Or simply change the position of the image to add variety to a boring design.
Correct sequence of actions
Before starting work, the canvases are carefully unpacked, fasteners and the necessary tools are prepared. In any case, you will need a level and a pencil with which the markings are applied. A marker or felt-tip pen will not work, they will leave too bright marks.
It’s good to experiment with the spacing at this stage. They move them closer, move them apart, and look the best. In this way, the easiest way is to choose the optimal distance so that the picture looks the most advantageous .
After that, you need to determine the key piece of the composition. This is irrelevant for diptychs. For a triptych, this will be the middle detail. If you want to hang a modular picture of 5 or more pieces, you have to think. As practice shows, the central element is not always the key if the details are of different sizes. In this case, the required block will be the largest.
An image is built from it, so it is fixed first.
Hang a multi panel painting
- We mark the base. We attach the key module to the wall, choose the optimal place for it. We outline with a pencil.
- We take the level, we specify the horizontal. Correct the markup if necessary. We put the canvas again to make sure it is in the correct position.
- We fix the block on the base in any suitable way.
- We hang a side fragment. We outline its location. To do this, we move from the already fixed element to a preselected distance. We attach the detail to the base, outline it with a pencil.
- With the help of a level, we rebuild the vertical and horizontal. Trying on the frame again.
- We fix the element on the base, check the strength of the fasteners.
We do the same with all the remaining parts of the composition, no matter how many of them are left. It is very important to fix them strictly parallel to each other. Even minimal distortions will ruin the look of the decor, violate the integrity of its perception. Therefore, in the course of work, we must use a level, thus controlling the accuracy of the vertical and horizontal.
Technically, the process of securing the modules is simple. Every novice master will cope with it. But at the same time, it is very important to correctly mark the wall and collect the entire composition on it. Especially if it has five or more parts. It will take precision and accuracy so that they are all placed strictly parallel, at an equal distance. Only then will the picture be perceived as a whole.