Use a special product or a homemade one – newspapers and paste? We describe working methods for removing whitewash.
Removing the old whitewash layer from the ceiling surface is not difficult, but very time consuming. You have to work in an uncomfortable position, since the base is over your head. The master gets tired, spends a lot of time at work. We will figure out how to wash off the whitewash from the ceiling quickly and with minimal effort.
When removal is necessary
Whitewashing is a layer of lime or chalk applied to the ceiling base. Before finishing work, it must be removed so that the new design fits well on the base. If you intend to mount a tension or suspended structure, it is not necessary to remove the old decor that is firmly held in place. Only those layers that are cracked and sagged are removed. Over time, they will fall and end up inside the stretch panel. They can ruin it.
In what cases the finish is removed
- Before painting with water-based paint . She will “collect” lime or chalk into ugly lumps. The surface will be damaged.
- If fungus or mold appears. The finishing layer is removed, the base is washed, treated with disinfectants.
- Before gluing wallpaper or styrofoam tiles . Due to insufficient adhesion, the veneer will not adhere well.
The masters remind you that you can whitewash over the old layer. Provided that it is not too thick, does not crack or fall off. There is one important point. The new and old coatings must be of the same type. That is, either chalk or lime. If nothing is known about the old finish, its composition can be easily determined. For this, water is sprayed onto the coating. If the drops are not absorbed, then it is lime, the chalk absorbs the liquid.
How to prepare to whitewash your ceiling
There are several methods for cleaning the ceiling. In any case, there will be a lot of dirt and dust. Therefore, it is necessary to prepare the room for work.
- We take out furniture, decor items, things. It is advisable to completely empty the room.
- We cover everything that cannot be endured with a thick film. To prevent it from moving, we fix it with tape. On the floor, we also lay a film or cardboard, thick paper, newspapers.
- We tighten the windows and sills with foil, fix it with tape.
- We de-energize the room. For work in the dark, we are preparing a portable lamp or a lamp on rechargeable batteries.
- If there is no door to the room, we tighten the opening with dense plastic, we make a passage in it. We put a rag under the door. We will moisten it with water to wipe our feet.
- We prepare overalls from dense fabric. The sleeve should be long, trousers, headwear, goggles. If dry cleaning is intended, there will be a lot of dust. You will need a respirator or medical mask to protect your respiratory system. You can take homemade gauze.
To work comfortably, you need a stand. This could be a stable bench, an old table, or a stepladder. Its height should be such that the worker can freely reach the ceiling, while not bending over or stretching his arms.
Four ways to remove the cover
In most cases, it is necessary to remove the trim layer. The easiest way to do this is if it is chalk and is applied in a thin layer. Then you can just wash it off. The wash is carried out with warm water and does not present any difficulties. The surface is moistened, then rubbed with a wet sponge, regularly replacing the contaminated liquid. Chalk dissolves and rinses off easily. Lime is harder to deal with. It grips more firmly on the base. We offer effective methods of how to quickly clean the ceiling from whitewash.
1. “Wet” method
A very simple technology that allows you to quickly clean lime. Its essence is to pre-soak the finish layer. Then peel off from the base. For wetting, you need a long-handled roller with a special tray or a spray bottle, preferably with a large reservoir. A spatula is required to remove the old layer. A medium-sized, sharp-edged metal tool will do. The stripping procedure is simple and follows the following plan.
Wet sweep plan
- Soak the whitewash. To do this, we moisturize it. Pour warm water into the tray, moisten the roller, squeeze it slightly, roll the device over the surface. You can use a spray bottle. We moisturize the base moderately, it should not drip from it.
- After the entire base is moistened, wait 10-15 minutes and repeat the procedure. Double processing gives better results. Painting smoothes well.
- We take a spatula and run it over the base. Lime is removed in a layer. If this is not the case and liquid is flowing down the instrument, we wait some more time. The soaking process has not yet ended. Then we remove all the trim.
- We take a rag or sponge, wash the cleaned base.
- We are waiting for it to dry completely. We touch the dry surface with our finger. If there are white traces, wash it again.
The “wet” way to remove the whitewash from the ceiling is simple and effective, but it gives a lot of dirt. We need to prepare for this. Cover the floor and other surfaces with waterproof materials and secure them securely so that they do not move.
2. Special wash
Manufacturers of repair compounds produce removers that destroy old finishes. After that, it is easier to clean it off. It is important to choose the right drug and read the instructions for its use.
How to wash with a wash
- We prepare the solution for work, if indicated by the manufacturer. Spray the finished mixture onto the base.
- We are waiting for the time indicated in the instructions for the whitewashing remover to transform the lime. It will begin to lag behind the plate and turn into an easily peelable crust.
- We clean the base with a spatula or other suitable tool.
- My stove. We are waiting for it to dry completely.
Chemical wash is effective, but it is not always used. Perhaps it is not on sale or the price is too high. You can make an analogue of the drug with your own hands. We have collected several of these recipes .
How to make a wash with your own hands
- Five liters of water will require 4-5 caps of any bubble bath and a tablespoon of vinegar essence. Washes away chalk well.
- Dissolve 100 g of soda ash and 200 g of soap shavings in 10 liters of hot water. Stir vigorously, allow to cool. Strain the product. Works effectively on lime.
- Take 1 kg of table salt for 10 liters of warm water. Stir until completely dissolved.
Home-made compositions are used in the same way as purchased. They are applied to the ceiling surface. Wait until they are absorbed, then remove the exfoliated material.
3. Newspapers and paste
There is another technique, how to wash out the whitewash ceiling quickly and without a lot of dirt. This will require a stack of newspapers or any other large sheets of paper. You will also need a homemade paste or the cheapest wallpaper glue. Scrape off the lime like this.
How to proceed
- Cook the paste. For a solution of medium consistency, take 100 g of flour per liter of water. Pour part of it into a container, add flour and stir thoroughly. Pour the rest of the water into a saucepan or bucket, put it on fire. After boiling, pour in the flour solution and stir until a homogeneous consistency is obtained. The consistency of the finished paste resembles a batter. We leave the mixture to cool.
- We take a newspaper sheet, grease it liberally with cooled paste. Leave only one corner untreated. Press the newspaper smeared with the mixture to the ceiling, straighten it. Thus, we glue the entire surface.
- We are waiting for the paste to dry. We periodically check it by touching the newspaper with our hand.
- When the paper is completely dry, pull firmly on the raw corner. We try to rip off the entire newspaper at once with a sharp, precise movement. Lime layers will remain on the paper.
- We wash the base freed from finishing with a rag fixed to the mop.
With wallpaper glue, proceed in the same way. It is bred in accordance with the instructions, then newspapers are lubricated, glued to the ceiling. An important point: Wet paper will not remove limescale. We must wait until it dries completely.
4. “Dry” method
The simplest coating removal technique, and also the most dusty. Using a sharp spatula, it is scraped off the stove. To make it more convenient to work, they make a homemade device: a scraper with a container attached to it. You will need a narrow spatula and a plastic box (tray) or just a bag. Two holes are drilled in the tool handle through which the wire is threaded. It secures the container to the spatula.
Thus, all lime removed from the base enters the container, from where it is easier to remove. But still a lot of dust is obtained, so it is not recommended to work without respiratory protection. To help the dust particles settle faster, it is recommended to spray water from time to time. At the end of work, be sure to take a bath or shower. Lime dust particles penetrate under clothing and may cause irritation or an allergic reaction.
It is not difficult to clean the ceiling surface from the old finish, provided that the technique is chosen correctly. Each of the ones we have described is effective, but has disadvantages. It is necessary to choose the appropriate method taking into account individual conditions and opportunities in order to spend a minimum of effort and money.