When buying a dishwasher, many people expect that there will be enough detergent for its proper operation. However, after reading the instructions carefully, you will notice that this is not the case. To extend the life of the dishwasher, and avoid breakdowns and malfunctions, you need to use a special salt for dishwashers. Let’s now figure out what this salt is for, how often to fill it up, what it gives, how much, and where to put it.
The composition of factory salt for dishwashers
If you think that dishwasher salt and kitchen salt are the same things, then you are wrong, they are two completely different things. Visually, dishwasher salt has larger and more uniform particles. This fork of salt undergoes a thorough purification process in several stages, which eliminates the possibility of harmful impurities. Each manufacturer adds its own components to the tool, here are some of them:
- sodium citrate, which kills microbes;
- sodium percarbonate;
- various flavoring substances;
- sodium disilicate and bicarbonate;
- sodium polyasparginate as a base for ion retention and thickener.
The principle of operation of salt for dishwashers
What is salt in the dishwasher for? The dishwasher has a built-in compartment with ionized resin. During the passage of water through it, the positively charged magnesium and calcium ions are attracted to the negatively charged sodium ions in the resin. To make up for the lack of sodium in the resin compartment, it is necessary to rinse it with sodium chloride water as the final washing step. After this procedure, the “ion exchanger” can again replace calcium with sodium in the subsequent dishwashing.
Therefore, manufacturers of dishwashers, in relation to salt, choose dry “regenerating”, that is, restoring. This procedure significantly softens the water, so already purified liquid enters the tank. If you neglect the instructions created by the manufacturers and do not use special salt for the dishwasher, then the ion exchanger will quickly become covered with scale and become faulty. All this can lead to the fact that the equipment will fail.
Frequently Asked Questions About Salt
Where to put salt before putting it in the dishwasher
Along with the equipment, there is always a special compartment for falling asleep salt substances. To load sodium chloride, you need to unscrew the cap and pour the agent into the tank before starting the program, so you will avoid the corrosion process. Be sure to read the instructions carefully before using the dishwasher for the first time.
How much salt to pour into the tank in the dishwasher
So, how to measure the required amount of salt in the dishwasher? Before using the machine for the first time, fill the salt compartment with about a liter of water. Then add enough product to completely fill the reservoir (approximately 101.3 kg). Then close the hole, removing the excessive amount of material. By the way, it is more convenient to use sodium chloride tablets, because in one dose there is the necessary amount of funds for a one-time wash.
Why put salt in the dishwasher
The main advantages of using sodium chloride for the dishwasher:
- helps soften hard tap water, which is saturated with various impurities and particles;
- promotes the recovery of sodium that was used during the washing process from the ion exchanger;
- favors the washing out of difficult contaminants from dishes;
- prevents wear of parts of the dishwasher, because it prevents the appearance of scale, which leads to various breakdowns;
- prevents the formation of limescale inside the dishwasher;
- increases the service life of the ion exchanger.
In addition, most often, it is thanks to the use of a special salt substance for the dishwasher that you can extend its service life and forget about repairing it. And also sodium chloride, thanks to the purification of water and the dishes themselves, helps to protect the human body from various harmful substances, which are full in dirty tap water. Treatment of dishes with sodium chloride helps to remove scale, which can adversely affect the human body. So, scale can contribute to the formation of stones in the urinary system, from which it will be very difficult to recover in the future.
What kind of salt to use
First of all, it is important to understand that you need to use sodium chloride, which is designed specifically for dishwashers, and not a cooking mixture. After all, the usual kitchen contains particles and impurities in its composition that can clog parts of the dishwasher and lead to its breakdown. Finding salt for dishwashers is not difficult, it is made by the same manufacturers as chemicals. It looks like a large crystal. In addition, there is a fairly large selection of different brands of sodium chloride on the Internet. Here, everyone can find a remedy to their taste and according to their wallet.
What is the best detergent to use for a Bosch dishwasher?
In fact, the dishwasher of this German manufacturer requires the same tool as other models. Here are some tips from the manufacturer:
- ask the water utility for information on the degree of water hardness ;
- in accordance with the instructions, set the operation of the softener, according to the water hardness parameters according to the table;
- in general, the consumption of liquid for one cycle of washing dishes consumes 0-4 liters of water.
What to replace salt
Sometimes people, in order to save money, try to replace a specialized salt substance with a regular cooking, kitchen mixture. However, this way you will not only not save money, but, on the contrary, you can even provide yourself with an additional expense item, since kitchen salt contains impurities that, when settling, can clog the internal mechanisms and parts of the dishwasher, which will lead to its breakdown in the future. Compared to repairs, sodium chloride for dishwashers is not that expensive. The dishwasher detergent goes through several stages of cleaning, and its large particles are easy to use. Finely ground table salt does not have the properties that are so necessary when using a dishwasher.
Tips for using regenerating salt
- Adjust the softener according to the water hardness level. In more modern and expensive models, this function is configured automatically, while some models come with special strips for testing the hardness level on their own.
- The agent can be filled up if the indicator shows a value of 2-3, but not 0.
- If the salt shortage indicator flashes on the control panel, you need to top up the product. If this symbol is not on the panel, you need to add the substance when the color mark on the water softener tank is not visible.
Be careful! Do not pour washing liquid into the sodium chloride tank. Otherwise, it may cause damage to the water softener, which can only be corrected by repair.