The spiral staircase is rightfully considered the queen of staircase systems. Always luxurious, with an unrivaled design, this structure serves as the central decorative element around which the entire interior is formed. The spiral staircase systems are extremely functional, but they do not take up much useful space. The review “How to choose a spiral staircases to the second floor” will help to study existing staircase options and give preference to a functional, safe and compact design.
Spiral staircase: types of structures
Spiral staircases are the most attractive and unusual designs. They can differ in the materials used to make them and in the style of construction. Spiral staircases are classified depending on the method of supporting the treads (steps):
- support of steps on walls and a pillar – in this design, the steps of a wedge-shaped spiral staircase rest their wide part on the perimeter walls, while the narrow part of the steps has a support in the form of a middle pillar. The support pillar is made of stone or can be recruited from thickened steps;
- cantilever mounting of steps around the support post – the steps of such a screw system are cantilevered to the central post in the form of a pillar. The fastening of the steps turns out to be quite rigid, so such a ladder can be installed optionally next to the wall;
- the support of the steps on a curved bowstring and a fence – such a staircase design does not provide for a central support. The steps are mounted in spirally curved bowstrings, which at the same time serve as barriers. The manufacture of such a screw structure is fraught with certain difficulties, however, it has a very attractive and original appearance;
- the steps are threaded with a narrow part on the casing support pipe – the most common way of fastening the steps: metal treads cantilever rest on an internal support in the form of a pipe. In this design, it is important that the pipe is at least 50 mm in diameter, since it serves as a supporting element in the staircase system.
Various materials are used for the manufacture of spiral staircases, including:
- metal – stainless steel, alloy steel, brass, brushed aluminum, cast iron;
- wood – oak, maple, beech, larch, pine and others;
- stone, brick, ceramics, glass, marble.
Various combinations of materials are used to create screw systems, resulting in original and unusual designs. Their main advantage is their high strength and resistance to heavy loads.
Calculation of spiral staircases
Calculation of the dimensions of a spiral staircase largely depends on the purpose of the structure: whether it will be primary or secondary. If the staircase plays the role of the main one, it is recommended that the size of its steps be taken not less than 90 cm in length, and the diameter of the opening in which it will be installed is 200 cm.It turns out that the diameter of the opening should be approximately 20 cm more than two steps length.
This size of the opening is explained by the need to equip the spiral staircase with a fence and railings. Then between the railing and a gap of 10 cm remains on the surface of the opening, which will contribute to a comfortable support on the handrail. In the case of an auxiliary spiral staircase, an opening with a diameter of 140 cm and a step length of 60 cm is sufficient. Typically, such stairs are used to ascend to the attic or descend into the basement.
The design of spiral staircases is such that when moving along them, not the entire length of the steps is used, but only its wide part. If, for example, the projected staircase has a step width of 90 cm, then part of this step will be attached to the support post, on the other side a fence will be attached. Thus, about 80 cm will remain for walking.
But given that the steps of the helical structure have a running-in arrangement, that part of them that is attached to the post will hang over a part of the next step. Consequently, the step width suitable for movement will be reduced by another 25%. As a result, it turns out that out of the entire step 90 cm wide, about 50 cm will be used for movement.
To achieve a more comfortable movement, the diameter of the opening and the dimensions of the spiral staircase are increased. However, the size of the opening should not be taken more than 300 cm, in this case the space under the occupied staircase will allow you to install the marching structure.
Spiral staircases to the second floor: photo in the interior
The spiral staircase to the second floor of the house, in addition to its functional load, carries the main decorative component. In this regard, not only the reliability and convenience of the design, but also its corresponding design are considered.
If you prefer minimalism or high-tech style, it will be appropriate to choose a metal structure. These ladders look light and will always attract attention. Do not forget about the role of the color of the stairs. For example, if the staircase is black, dark furniture, black and white paintings or carpets with a combination of black and white stripes will support it well.
If in the interior you are planning the staircase is given a place of secondary decor, you should choose options for designs painted in light shades. A matte staircase that does not reflect other objects looks much easier than a dark one and will be almost invisible. Many people choose models painted in bright colors, and sometimes with multi-colored steps.
Useful advice! To avoid injury when moving up the stairs, it is necessary to equip the structure with a high-quality fence, it can be solid. This is especially true for families with small children.
Spiral staircases made of precious wood are suitable for the classic style. Such structures should also be supported by appropriate furniture, preferably almost to match. The fences made of carved balusters give a special charm to wooden stairs . Forged railings in combination with a wooden staircase look no less elegant.
Using a wooden spiral staircase to connect levels, you can fill the house with warmth and comfort. After all, wood is a material that absorbs the energy of the sun, wind, rain and transfers it to the entire room.
If you want to give the stairs lightness and transparency, you can use designs with glass steps. Fences in these structures can be selected in a variety of ways: wooden railings in combination with aluminum balusters, horizontal aluminum fencing or a transparent plastic fence.