Which one is better to choose: a bidet or a hygienic shower?
Bidet is a modern device for personal hygiene, which is rapidly gaining popularity. The main reason is comfortable conditions during hygienic procedures and concern for the health of all family members. Today we’ll talk about what types of devices exist, as well as how and which bidet is better to choose for your home.
Which bidet is better to choose
Modern bidets are diverse and multifunctional, but they all fulfill their main function – maintaining personal hygiene after visiting the toilet. They also help to make a feasible contribution to environmental protection and save on the purchase of hygiene products, which we wrote about in the article “How to choose toilet paper”.
What are stationary bidets
A stationary bidet is a classic model made in the form of a small bathtub with a water nozzle that directs a stream of water in the required direction. The range of stationary bidet models is very diverse, from budget models with a conventional faucet-mixer and the function of adjusting the pressure and temperature of the water supply, to automated devices with water nozzles and thermostatic batteries that allow you to maintain the optimum water temperature in the absence or interruptions in hot water supply and carry out air hygienic drying.
In the majority of bidets there is only one water nozzle mounted at the back, in universal bidets (sometimes they are called female) there are two nozzles: front and rear.
The main disadvantage of a stationary bidet is the need for additional free space in the toilet for its installation, which is not always possible in modern apartments.
A toilet with a bidet function is a modern plumbing device that combines the functions of two devices: the familiar toilet and a stationary bidet. In appearance it resembles a regular toilet equipped inside with special water nozzles – bidets. Such a device is installed in the toilet instead of the toilet and does not require additional space.
The toilet with a bidet function is equipped with a control system, which is usually displayed on a separate panel.
- Manual models have minimal functionality and allow you to adjust only the temperature and pressure of the supplied water.
- Electronically controlled models are sophisticated plumbing devices that maintain optimal temperature and water pressure. They are equipped with an additional tank for heating water, as well as a hairdryer for drying. Management from the touch or remote control.
But about how to choose a model: floor or hanging, as well as other features of plumbing devices, read the article “How to choose a toilet bowl.”
How to install a bidet so as not to change the toilet
There are bidets that do not require a separate place and are installed directly on a regular stationary toilet. These are toilet seats with a bidet function and electronic bidet covers. Consider what their differences are.
A toilet seat with a bidet function is our usual seat, with water nozzles built into it and a mechanical control unit. Such a device is connected to an existing water supply system and performs all the functions of a conventional stationary bidet.
Budget models perform a minimum of functions: temperature and water pressure adjustment. The more expensive ones are equipped with an air drying system, seat heating and odor elimination function.
- temperature and water pressure adjustment + constant maintenance of a comfortable temperature;
- several types of water supply for washing out (continuous, pulsating, vibrational, etc.), which allows for water massage;
air drying with adjustable air temperature;
- deodorization of air and elimination of unpleasant odors;
- seat heating;
- human presence sensor;
- automatic nozzle cleaning;
- antibacterial UV treatment.
The only negative is the very high cost.
Hygienic shower – budget and comfortable
If you cannot install a bidet in your home, you can replace it with a simple hygienic shower.
Hygienic shower – a familiar faucet with a tap, a flexible hose and a special hygienic watering can, on which there is an additional lever that opens the water supply. It is installed near the toilet or directly on the toilet itself and allows you to perform the necessary hygiene procedures.
- Pros: low cost, easy installation, you can put a regular inexpensive shower faucet.
- Cons: the need to set the temperature and pressure of the water every time it is turned on and remember to close the shut-off valves after use to prevent accidents in the water supply system.
The criteria for choosing a hygienic shower are the same as for a conventional faucet, and we already wrote about this in the article “How to choose a faucet in the bathroom”.
It is better to install a faucet with a thermostat, which will independently maintain the temperature and pressure of water, but it also costs several times more.
How much is bidet and hygienic shower cost?
|Personal Care Device||Cost|
|Toilet bowl with bidet function||$85.06||$7303.86|
|Toilet seat with bidet function||$121.13||$1935.34|
* The price is based on a price analysis of the largest online stores.