The sink is an integral element of the kitchen interior. In order to choose the most suitable sink for a particular kitchen, you need to pay attention to a number of factors, such as: spaciousness, resistance to mechanical stress (shock) and other points. The sink for the kitchen should not only fit into the interior of the room, but also be functional and convenient to care for.
What are the requirements for a kitchen sink?
The selection of individual elements of the interior of the kitchen in any case raises a huge number of questions. For example, it is very important not to forget that in many houses the space of the kitchen is limited. Therefore, the sink should organically fit into the interior and be as functional as possible on a minimum area of space.
There are other requirements that a modern kitchen sink must comply with.
Design. First of all, any sink should be selected according to the already formed style of the kitchen. Compatibility with the interior of the kitchen is a very important point.
Helpful information! It is best to select the sink after a major repair, when the interior of the room is already clearly defined. Photo sinks in the kitchen, their colors and design can be studied on the Internet.
Spaciousness. This parameter is one of the most important for a kitchen sink. Even if the kitchen is very modest in size, care must be taken to ensure that the sink bowl is of sufficient height. Then without problems it will be possible to wash not only plates and cups, but also rather voluminous objects (pots, jugs).
Wear resistance. The surface of the sink, which is located in the kitchen, must necessarily be resistant to external influences. A high-quality sink must tolerate the effects of high temperatures, as well as be resistant to active chemical compounds that are part of detergents. Do not forget about the mechanical effects (bumps, scratches).
The above factors allow us to give an answer to the common question “which sink to choose in the kitchen”, but rather generalized. In addition to the bowl itself, it is necessary to determine the auxiliary elements that will be required to connect it. Such devices include: siphon, water filter, food waste chopper, etc.
Design features and dimensions of the kitchen sink
The dimensions of the sink for the kitchen are selected depending on the dimensions of a particular room. For a small area of ”catering” is recommended to buy compact models of sinks. From a constructive point of view, all sinks are divided into the following types:
- with one bowl. These models are ideal for installation in confined spaces. They differ in affordable cost and are perfect for standard kitchen facilities in multi-storey buildings;
- with a double bowl. Models that have two bowls are recommended to be purchased only if the kitchen space allows this. As a rule, both bowls in such a sink are located on the same line. However, another option is possible, when one bowl is located at an angle to the other;
- one and a half sink. Such models differ in that they have two bowls, one of which (larger) is used directly for washing dishes. The second bowl, the smaller one, is most often used for washing vegetables and fruits. One and a half sinks can be of two types: mortise and overhead. They are great if there is no possibility of installing two separate bowls;
- corner sink. It is mounted as a separate element of the corner kitchen module. It includes one or two bowls between which the working space is located. The dimensions of the corner sink for the kitchen also allow you to mount it in small rooms. During installation of such a model, it is recommended to pay special attention to sealing joints. A similar need is due to the fact that corner models are mounted (most often) at the junction of two worktops;
- model with a wing. The number of wings in such models can be different (1 or 2). A wing is a workspace that is a continuation of a countertop.
In addition to the length and width of the sink, a very important geometric indicator is its depth. It affects the capacity of the sink, which, in turn, affects the functionality and usability of this kitchen element.
Helpful advice! For standard kitchens in high-rise buildings, experts advise buying sinks that have a depth of 15 to 18 cm.
It is not recommended to buy models that have too deep a bowl, since washing dishes in such sinks is not very convenient. When choosing a sink, you also need to pay attention to its shape. To date, you can find the following varieties of these kitchen elements:
- complex (multifaceted).
So which kitchen sink is better? Sinks that have a rectangular or square shape are the most popular. This is due to the fact that they combine perfectly with kitchen furniture and are a fairly compact solution, suitable for standard and small-sized kitchens. Round models have one significant advantage – the largest capacity.
What materials are kitchen sinks made of?
Kitchen sinks can be made of different materials. Its selection is carried out depending on the interior of the kitchen. So, for kitchens whose design is dominated by the classical concept, sinks made of natural or artificial stone are most suitable. Modern design solutions (for example, hi-tech) involve the use of cold shades, so in such cases it is best to use stainless steel sinks.
Stainless steel kitchen sink
Today, stainless steel sinks are the best-selling models. They can be single or double.
The sizes of kitchen sinks made from stainless steel can be very different, as well as their shapes. High-quality stainless models include elements such as nickel and chromium, which make them resistant to aggressive corrosion.
Depending on the type of surface, two types of stainless sinks are distinguished: glossy and matte. If desired, you can order a model on which a textured drawing will be applied.
- the democratic cost of metal models in many respects influenced their high popularity. The cost of such sinks is much lower than for counterparts made of artificial stone or ceramic. Therefore, it is quite possible to buy a sink for the kitchen inexpensively, if there are no preferences regarding the material;
- universal appearance, which is suitable for almost any interior;
- resistance to mechanical stress, active chemicals and high temperatures;
- ease of cleaning;
- long service life.
- the need for grounding;
- noise arising during the washing of dishes;
- dried water drops are clearly visible on the surface of such a sink.
Note! The level of noise that occurs when using a sink directly depends on the thickness of its walls. To eliminate unpleasant sound, you can purchase and install a special element – a sound absorber.
Among budget products of this type, low-quality samples are often found that do not last long. There is a simple method that allows you to determine the quality of the sink made of stainless steel: it is necessary to draw a magnet along its surface. The smooth sliding of the magnetic element indicates the high quality of the kitchen sink.
It is also worth remembering that stainless models often come with a cabinet (cabinet), which will need to be selected in color to the main furniture. Cabinets for the sink in the kitchen are made of chipboard or solid wood. The second option will last longer.
Artificial and natural stone
Kitchen sinks made of artificial stone are more expensive than stainless counterparts. Products from this material have a wide range of surface patterns and are considered an excellent option for the modern style of the kitchen interior. Such models of shells are made of stone chips and resins that act as a bonding element. A variety of color schemes and patterns is achieved through coloring pigments.
Models made of natural stone are located in a higher price segment and are suitable for installation in luxury kitchens. They look great in combination with granite or marble countertops.
- washing dirty dishes in such sinks is silent;
- models of artificial and natural stone are a real decoration of the interior of the kitchen;
- ease of care is achieved due to the smooth surface of such sinks;
- dried drops of water are invisible on the surface;
- expensive models can tolerate high temperatures (up to 280 ° C), and cheaper analogues – up to 150 ° C;
- a variety of shapes and colors;
- differ in hygiene and high environmental friendliness, as 80% of them consist of natural or artificial granite chips;
- scratches that occur during operation of an artificial stone product (without a protective coating) can be eliminated. To do this, sand the damaged area.
- fairly high cost;
- installation complexity due to high mass;
- surface cleaning is carried out only with mild detergents.
Any coloring agent can leave a mark on such sinks, so it is recommended to immediately remove tea or coffee stains from the surface.
Pottery or Porcelain
Sinks made of ceramics or porcelain are great for kitchens, which are made in the following styles:
Helpful advice! It is recommended to mount color models of ceramic (and not only) sinks in such a way that they are open to direct sunlight. So their color will seem more saturated.
- low noise during use;
- are scratch resistant;
- made from environmentally friendly materials and are hygienic;
- resistant to small temperature differences;
- able to tolerate the effects of active chemical compounds, as well as dyes;
- ceramic and porcelain models are characterized by a long service life;
- do not change color over time.
- high cost (but lower than that of analogues made of artificial stone);
- limited range of colors. Glossy models, for example, are produced only in black or white;
- low impact resistance, which often leads to a split shell;
- surface cleaning is carried out using only mild detergents.
The weight of ceramic models is quite large. In order to protect the sink from damage during operation, it is recommended to install it on a special cabinet. The choice of a cabinet for a kitchen sink is made depending on the interior of the kitchen and the size of the niche reserved for it. Installing a kitchen cabinet with a sink is a complex process, for which it is best to call a specialist with the necessary knowledge and skills.
Enameled kitchen sinks
Enameled products are easy to clean, but their coating has poor resistance to wear and erases over time. Also, the enamel layer may break away from mechanical stress.
- small mass;
- wide range of colors;
- installation of an enameled sink is even possible for a person who does not have special knowledge in this area.
The disadvantages of such a washing are its high noise level during use and electrical conductivity.
What to buy a sink in the kitchen: tips for choosing
The selection of the number of bowls, shapes and dimensions, as well as material – these are the basic conditions that allow you to purchase the necessary sink for the kitchen. However, there are other nuances that you need to pay attention to when choosing this kitchen item, namely:
- selection of a mixer that is suitable for a specific kitchen sink;
- choosing a sink siphon for the kitchen. When choosing a siphon, you must remember that this device differs in the number of connections. For example, for a double wash, models that have two drains are mounted. An action algorithm describing how to install a sink siphon in the kitchen can be easily found on the Internet;
- it is desirable that the spout of the tap matches the depth of the bowl. Faucets for kitchen sinks can be of two types, depending on the installation option: wall-mounted and built-in directly into the sink. Most often, the mixer is built into the sink and is located at a 45 ° angle to the bowl, which is considered a low position. The spout of the tap should be positioned so that there are no problems when washing large pots. With a bowl depth of 12 to 16 cm, it is recommended to purchase a mixer with a high spout in the shape of the letter “G” (rounded). If the sink depth is 16 cm or more, then you can buy a mixer with a higher spout;
- there are additional devices that are mounted on the sink for different purposes. For example, a waste shredder, which is used to process food waste that has been dumped. It prevents clogging of the sink. Also popular are such auxiliary elements as: shelves for cutlery, built-in pallets.
Note! The width of any kitchen sink varies from 40 to 100 cm.
Which sink to choose: single or double?
Sinks that assume only one section may have a different shape. Single-section models are suitable for small kitchens that require careful saving of usable space. If the hostess is used to storing dirty dishes in the sink, it is better to think about purchasing a two-section model. Then in one of the sections it will be possible to fold unwashed dishes, and use the second bowl to wash it.
Dual models are considered to be multifunctional. There are also one and a half options for sinks, which can also be attributed to universal.
Today, manufacturers equip single and double sinks with an additional wing, which serves as a stand for wet plates and other utensils. The wing of two-section models of sinks is twice as large as a similar addition to a single sink. Therefore, it is recommended that you think carefully before purchasing a dual model and perform the necessary calculations.
Double models are perfect if daily work in the kitchen includes washing a lot of dishes and preparing a large amount of food. Thus, in one bowl you can directly wash the dishes, and in the other – rinse. Another convenience of the two-section model is the ability to rinse your hands in the second bowl while the first is busy with dirty dishes. Such trifles seem insignificant, but they can greatly simplify the life of any housewife.