Today, many have already appreciated the convenience and benefits of humidifiers. In climates where the heating is on for most of the year, this is really an absolute must. Humidified and purified air in the most positive way can improve health not only for people but also create a comfortable environment for pets, plants and prolong the life of interior items. Often the device works non-stop and naturally requires some maintenance. But some won’t even think about it. How to clean your humidifier?
How often should you clean a humidifier?
As you know, a humid warm environment is the best condition for the development of bacteria, viruses, and fungi. With improper care, the humidifier inside can become a real breeding ground for infections, and mold can literally infect the atmosphere with fungal spores harmful to humans.
In order to avoid the formation of scale and mucus, it is recommended to clean a humidifier with constant use 1-2 times a week.
Cleaning a humidifier
- First of all, you need to read the operating instructions for a specific modification of the humidifier and take into account the existing features
- Disconnect the appliance from the mains and pour out the remaining water
If it is hot, then you need to wait until it cools completely.
- Remove all internal parts that can be detached
But at the same time, do not use a screwdriver and generally without fanaticism. If you have doubts and it is not clear how to remove it, it is better not to do it.
- Rinse all components
Do this under running water using neutral detergents or just a solution of laundry soap. Small and hard-to-reach parts can be cleaned with a toothbrush.
This should be done carefully and in no case mechanically chipped off or using abrasive products in order to avoid damage to the surfaces. You can soak the reservoir in water with baking soda and table vinegar for several hours. The chemical reaction will help the scale gently come off. You can also use special anti-limescale cleaners.
- Clean membrane (in ultrasonic humidifiers)
This should be done with a small brush (as a rule, it is included in the device kit). You can use a soft cloth or sponge.
- Process the case
The external component of the humidifier must be wiped with a cloth dampened in a vinegar solution. This will reduce contamination and remove static electricity that attracts dust.
Dry the parts of the humidifier washed with clean water with a soft clean towel or let dry naturally.
In order to prevent the multiplication of pathogens, it is periodically necessary to disinfect the insides of the unit. This should be done with frequent use of a humidifier, about once a month.
Cardinal methods of dealing with limescale
- Disconnect from the power supply.
- Disassemble by removing the tank, spray, filter, and other parts.
- Add vinegar or citric acid to warm water, mix thoroughly. Make sure there is no sediment, strain if necessary.
- Pour the resulting solution into the tank and leave it there for an hour or more, depending on the amount of plaque.
- At this time, soak a soft sponge in the solution and wipe the outside of the device on the dirt.
- Then empty the tank, rinse it thoroughly and dry it.
- Repeat the procedure several times if necessary.
- Then assemble all the parts and the device is ready to go.
To combat bacteria and microorganisms, it is recommended to use disinfectants. In a number of articles, you can see the advice – use bleach. But this is a rather risky step since it can damage the tank, the smell will also be absorbed into the rubber and plastic parts, and then during a certain time during operation, there may be an unpleasant smell. Better to use less aggressive means. If you do not fight microorganisms, fungi, and other contaminants, a humidifier can become a catalyst for the development of allergies, aggravate asthma attacks and other diseases associated with the respiratory system.
What can i put in my humidifier to kill bacteria?
- Make an aqueous solution of hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine, or other non-alcoholic medical disinfectants, preferably odorless.
- Pour the resulting liquid into the tank and turn on the device. It is advisable to fill the tank completely.
- Set the maximum power mode if possible. After 3-5 minutes of work, you can turn off and drain the water.
- Rinse the filter, tank, and other parts with clean water.
- Fill the reservoir and turn on the already cleaned device for 10 minutes to flush the channels inaccessible to you.
- Then turn off, drain all the water and dry the parts.
- The device is ready for storage and further use.
In some cases, manufacturers recommend using a special composition for the care of equipment. Write about this in the instructions for the device. Before embarking on “experiments” read the recommendations from the manufacturer, perhaps there is a ban on the use of a number of substances or advice.
Replacing filters and backfills in cartridges
Manufacturers often equip their devices with filter elements, for example, many Cooper & Hunter air humidifiers have a block filled with ion exchange resin. Hardness salts partially settle on their surface, so it is advisable to replace them at least once a month. Other types of filters used in the systems are also subject to replacement. Replaceable filters and backfills are available these days, besides, the procedure for replacing one element with another is simple and does not require special skills or tools. Take care of yourself and your loved ones, create a pleasant and useful atmosphere in your home.
Remember that illness and ill health are easier to prevent than to deal with later. Purchase equipment for organizing air exchange, cleaning, and humidification. With proper care, the device will serve you for a long time, maintaining useful parameters in the room, which will undoubtedly have a beneficial effect on your health. Before purchasing the unit, read the characteristics, descriptions, reviews.
If you still have questions, our experts will be happy to answer them and help you choose the best model for you. Moreover, our catalog contains products from the world’s leading manufacturers at attractive prices. Another option, which will not only improve the operation of equipment that creates a microclimate, but will also allow you to take water procedures with greater comfort, is the installation of main filters for domestic water.