It does not matter which of the strapping schemes is used: in order to empty the tank, you need to fulfill only two conditions.
Sooner or later, all owners of storage water heaters have a question how to drain water from a water heater. There may be several reasons for this:
- preservation for the winter in the country or after the prevention of central hot water in the apartment;
- cleaning the tank from accumulated deposits;
- replacement of the heating element, magnesium anode and other repairs;
- use of water from the tank when shutting off water supply.
Regardless of the reason, the drain of the storage tank is carried out according to the same algorithm.
1. Prepare materials and tools
- Bucket or basin;
- adjustable wrench;
2. Lower the water temperature
In order not to burn yourself during operation, turn off the boiler heating and drain some of the hot water: the tank will fill up cold and the temperature will drop. To save money, you can do this in advance by spending water on something you need.
3. Disconnect the boiler
For safety reasons, all manipulations with the water heater should be carried out only after a complete disconnection from the network. To do this, disconnect the appropriate machine in the electrical panel or remove the plug of the power cord from the outlet.
4. Shut off the water supply.
The next required step is to shut off the feed at the inlet. If there is a tap on the cold water pipe next to the boiler, use it. If the strapping is done without such a tap, turn off the main cold water valve at the entrance to the apartment or house.
Owners of dwellings with a central hot water supply must additionally shut off the tap at the entrance.
5. Drain the water heater
It is not possible to simply open hot water on the mixer and empty the boiler due to the fact that the tank is simultaneously filled with water when it is flowing . Cold water pushes hot water – that’s how it works. It would seem that it is enough to shut off the tap at the inlet so that the boiler does not fill up, but no. Everything is a little more complicated.
The hot water intake pipe is located at the very top of the tank, as the liquid rises when heated. The supply fitting, on the contrary, is located below – so the water layers do not mix. Therefore, with a blocked feed, no more than a liter will merge from the mixer.
You can completely drain the water only through the supply pipe. In this case, it is necessary to ensure the flow of air into the tank so that there is no vacuum and water drains. Depending on the type of connection, this is done in various ways: from simply opening the tap to removing the fittings.
Connection with two tees
The most convenient drain scheme. Thanks to the taps installed on the tees, it allows air to open into the tank and quickly empty it.
- Make sure that the supply and exit valves for the boiler are closed. If they are not, close the valves on the cold and hot water risers.
- Put the hose on the drain tap on the tee at the entrance to the water heater and lower it into the basin, bucket or toilet bowl. Open the tap.
- Now open the tap on the tee at the exit of the boiler.
- Drain all or part of the water. If you need to pause, turn off the tap at the inlet of the water heater and the water will stop flowing.
Single Tee Connection
Not the worst connection option, which is still inferior in convenience to the previous one. A tee with a tap is installed only at the inlet, therefore, to drain, you will have to let air into the tank through the mixer or by removing the pipe from the outlet fitting.
There is a variation of such a circuit without a tap at the outlet of the boiler. In fact, it is no different: air is blown in the same ways.
- Check that the taps at the inlet and outlet of the water heater are closed. If they are absent, close the valves on the risers.
- Attach the hose to the drain cock and lower it into a bucket or basin. Open the tap.
- At the nearest mixer, open the hot water and wait until all or the right amount is drained.
- If the water flows poorly or does not go at all, it means that air flows weakly through the mixer. In this case, remove the hose at the outlet fitting.
- To stop water, you can turn off the drain valve or simply close the outlet fitting with your finger.
Connection without tees
The most inconvenient strapping scheme when the water heater is connected directly without tees and taps. At our disposal there is only a safety valve with a drain outlet. Through it, although slowly, it is also possible to drain the water. In extreme cases, the valve is easy to remove, and then the flow will be much larger.
- Make sure that the water in the cold and hot water risers is shut off.
- Turn off the tap at the boiler inlet and open the hot water at the nearest mixer.
- Put a hose on the nozzle of the valve and lower it into a bucket or basin. Raise the valve flag.
- If the water drains very slowly or does not flow at all, remove the hose from the outlet of the boiler to ensure air flow.
- If there is no flag on the valve or the water still flows poorly – disconnect the inlet hose from the valve and insert a thin screwdriver into its body. This will raise the spring, blocking the return flow of water, and the stream will significantly increase.
- To speed up the drain, you can simply remove the valve to completely release the inlet fitting of the water heater.