Armstrong suspended ceiling installation can be done by hand. All that is needed for this is an instruction, where all the necessary actions are described step by step. No special equipment or special skills are required. Each model has its own layout and installation tricks that need to be considered. Each engineering solution is carefully calculated and technically justified. It will not be difficult to understand its features. Hanging the cover is as easy as making an aluminum sheathing and sheathing it with drywall.
Pros and cons
The system has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- The system allows you to hide irregularities and other floor defects without complex finishing work that takes a lot of time.
- The surface can be painted or custom-made. Usually it does not need to be decorated – the outside has good decorative qualities.
- The lathing and panels are lightweight. They do not overload or weaken the floor.
- The system is easy to remove and hang up when repairing or moving. Its elements are connected using bolts and screws. Assembling and disassembling the frame is not difficult. To do this, you need a regular screwdriver.
- The inner space is suitable for laying hidden communications – pipes , wires, ventilation ducts.
- The cladding does not require any special maintenance. It is easy to clean. The exception is products with an open porous structure – they are wiped with a damp, wrung-out cloth.
- If necessary, one element can be replaced without having to disassemble the entire structure.
- Parts do not burn and do not emit toxic substances. They are odorless and harmless to health.
- Most models are not afraid of water and high temperatures.
- The material does not fade in the sun and does not lose its decorative qualities over time.
- Plates have heat and sound insulating properties. The interior is often filled with acoustic and thermal insulation materials.
- The coating fits well into the interior of the office, but in an apartment and a private house it looks too strict. It is difficult to combine it with a classic interior. It suits more modern styles. Most often, this solution is used when decorating bathrooms and kitchens.
- The system is less compact than a stretch ceiling . Before you mount it, you need to calculate the height and find out the total thickness of the lathing and sheathing. In typical apartments, where every millimeter is important, this figure is decisive.
- Mineral wool panels are harmful to health.
Details and their characteristics
The framework is made of light alloys, forming cells. Panels are inserted into them, creating an outer covering. Models differ in the way of fastening and connecting elements.
Set of elements
- Facing panels.
- Bearing wall profiles in the form of corners – they are fixed on the base and the entire frame is mounted on them.
- Guide T-profiles.
- Cross profiles perpendicular to the guides and forming rectangular cells with them.
- Metal hangers on self-tapping screws and anchors, connectors and clamps.
There are also more complex schemes.
Height is adjustable with hangers. Lights and a fan can be placed inside. The electrician is laid in a corrugated hose. This is done in order to prevent the cable from contacting the surface of the plates and sheathing.
The cladding differs in quality. Its properties depend on the material.
- Plates based on mineral wool and organic matter have low moisture resistance, heat and sound insulation. They are not suitable for kitchens and bathrooms. In addition, such materials are harmful to health – mineral wool dust is released from thin solid fibers and penetrates into the lungs. Decorative qualities leave much to be desired.
- Metal products – solid and lattice. They are used in any premises. The metal has a protective coating and is not afraid of corrosion, however, traces of dried drops are clearly visible on the surface.
- Glasses and mirrors – they help to visually expand the space of the room. Luminaires can be installed in translucent glass. The coating is fragile and requires constant maintenance. Contamination will be clearly visible.
- Wood and its analogues – they are treated with antiseptics and varnish. In production, the workpieces are dried, so they do not deform during operation, unlike a conventional solid. There are no restrictions on use, but it is better not to hang wooden parts in the bathroom.
- Plastic – premium products will last a long time. They have all the necessary qualities, but at high temperatures they can melt and lose their shape. This property is typical for polyvinyl chloride (PVC). There are plastics that can withstand temperature exposure well in domestic conditions. Before making an armstrong ceiling above the stove or around the chimney , you need to study the instructions. There may be limitations.
- Soft cellulose-based panels are easy to cut and install, but are good at absorbing moisture.
The plates are attached from the inside, but there are models in which they are mounted from the outside using snap fasteners. The cladding can be located in one plane or in several at once. The system allows you to create multilevel structures by adjusting the suspensions. The cladding is straight, polygonal, wavy, perforated and embossed.
Step-by-step installation instructions
Consider the armstrong ceiling mounting technology with your own hands in more detail. As a rule, a step-by-step guide is included with the kit, which describes all the stages of installation. Our instruction is one example.
- Building level.
- The rule is a straight rail, with which you can check level differences.
- Roulette and pencil.
- A hacksaw or scissors for cutting metal.
Calculation of profiles and panels
The kit includes the following sizes.
- Tiles – 60×60 cm.
- Bearing corner adjacent to the wall – 3 m. It is attached to screws along the perimeter.
- Bearing T-shaped profile parallel to the short wall – 3.7 m.
- The guide profile is 1.2 m. It is placed on the supporting corner with a 60 cm pitch corresponding to the side of the panel.
- T-shaped cross member – 60 cm.
If necessary, parts are cut off. The central part of the lathing is held by suspensions on anchors equipped with hooks and rods.
Before assembling the armstrong ceiling, you need to calculate the consumption of slabs and laths. Suppose the total area is 24 m 2 .
- Tile area – 60 x 60 cm = 0.36 m 2 . This means that we need 24 / 0.36 = 66.6 tiles. Let’s round up their number to 67 pieces. If you get a fractional number, one row will have to be cut.
- The length of the wall corner is equal to the perimeter of the room. In a 4×6 room, the perimeter is (4 + 6) x 2 = 20 m. The standard size of products is 3 m. It is not difficult to calculate their number: 20/3 = 7 whole corners.
- The supporting T-shaped profile is placed at a distance of 0.6 m from the wall 4 m in increments of 1.2 m. Each row will require 3.7 + 0.3 m. As a result, we need 6 / 1.2 = 5 pcs. We will start another sixth workpiece for trimming of 0.3 m.
- Go to the guides: 6 / 1.2 = 5 whole blanks in a row. The installation step is 60 cm. In total, we have 4 / 0.6 = 6.66 rows. This value is rounded down. The total amount will be 5 x 6 = 30 pcs.
- Now let’s count the transverse elements: 6 / 1.2 = 5. 4 / 0.6 = 7 (in this case, the resulting value is rounded up). 5 x 7 = 35 pcs.
- The suspensions are in increments of 1.2 m. We divide both walls into it, rounding the result up. We multiply the obtained values: (4 / 1.2) x (6 / 1.2) = 4 x 5 = 20 suspensions.
Materials are taken with a margin of 5-10% in case of marriage or damage during work. To avoid a mistake, you should prepare a diagram showing all the elements. Fans, air conditioning , lighting devices and communications should be marked on it . Heavy pipes and massive devices are attached to additional suspensions.
The slab will not be visible behind the cladding, so it does not need to be perfectly leveled and finished. The plaster layer must be removed so that it does not collapse and ruin the cladding. The base for the lattice blocks is painted if necessary. The overlap is cleaned of dirt, dust and degreased with an alcohol solution. The crumbling parts are removed. The surface is impregnated with an antiseptic, which prevents the appearance of bacteria, and then covered with a strengthening primer.
The cracks are sealed with a cement-sand mortar and a fresh layer is primed.
To avoid leaks, the floor is waterproofed. The height of the structure is approx. 20 cm. It can be adjusted to the specific thickness of the insulation boards. It is more convenient to use unshaped mineral wool fibers. In this case, you do not have to trim products to accommodate the wiring. The material is covered on both sides with a sealed plastic wrap to prevent moisture from penetrating inside.
How the Armstrong ceiling is going
- Start with the markup. It is carried out at the building level from the corner. The height is marked on it so that you can change it if necessary. At this mark, lines are drawn on the walls. The position of the anchors is marked on the floor.
- The corners are attached to the base. An incision is made at the corners and bent at 90 degrees.
- Suspensions are installed on the ceiling according to the markings. They are placed in increments of 120 cm. The minimum distance to the wall is 60 cm. In our case, it is 120 cm. The structure is a bar with a loop and a rod that is threaded into it. From below it has a hook on which the crate is hung.
- The T-rail is attached to the hooks. They are introduced into special holes. The ends of the plank abut against the corners. If the length is not enough, it is increased by fixing the additional elements (trims of 0.3 m). Each step is checked against the building level.
- The rest of the frame parts are mounted on screws or connectors included in the kit. Cropped rows are placed at the entrance to the room or near the window, where curtains will hide them . In whole rows, cells of 60×60 cm should be formed. Errors are not allowed.
- The inner space is filled with insulation. If you plan to use lamps and other equipment, start with it. Usually square devices with 59×59 cm halogen lamps are used. They are well suited for technical rooms, but not for residential ones. Holes of the required diameter are cut out for spotlights and ventilation ducts. The air conditioner is placed in the corner near the window.
- The panels do not need to be fixed. They are put into cells without using self-tapping screws.