In order to complete the work of install linoleum, you have to solve impossible tasks. How to move heavy furniture over linoleum without damaging the legs and flooring? Where to rearrange a huge wardrobe occupying two walls at once? These questions seem insoluble only at first glance. There are several ways to solve the problem. You need to work at least two people – lifting a heavy sofa or chest of drawers alone is not possible.
The main thing to take care of is safety. It is not difficult to get injured by dragging weights. It is better to work slowly. In order not to rip your back, it should be kept straight. A large mass is lifted by squatting down. Leaning forward can injure your spine. People with osteochondrosis, heart defects, other diseases that limit their capabilities, it is better not to move large objects with a large mass.
When it’s better not to get down to business
- If you are going to work alone. One person is unlikely to be able to endure a wide desk or sofa. If you drag furniture portage, broken legs and scratched flooring. The feet will have to be lifted to attach the slippery pads to reduce friction. It is more convenient to glue the material with two hands. Of course, you can do it alone. It is difficult to imagine that in this case the second hand will hold several tens of kilograms. To get out of the situation will help a car jack, on the working surface of which a cloth is laid. It should protect the wood from scratches. They can be left by the metal top resting against the varnished wooden case. This way of working will take a lot of time. It is better not to get down to business without an assistant.
- If there are a lot of interior items, but there is nowhere to put them away. However, if you manage to free at least a quarter of the area before laying, this is already good. Sideboards, tables, armchairs are placed in several tiers. It is important to position them so that they do not fall and cause injury.
- If the room has bulky furniture built in, for example, a huge wardrobe. It is often impossible to take it out – for this, the structure will have to be disassembled. This operation leads to a weakening of the connections between the parts. As a result, they begin to loosen and quickly deteriorate. Prefabricated elements made of chipboard and natural solid wood easily lose their shape, crumple, crack. There is a risk of breaking some of them. The assembly and disassembly process will take a long time. The way out is very simple – if it is difficult or even impossible to carry out the laying under the wardrobe, you need to put a new canvas around it. After all, why replace a piece of trim that no one will ever see. The exception is when the cabinet is wobbling. Then it will have to be disassembled in order to level and strengthen the base.
How to move furniture on linoleum so as not to damage it
The furnishings must be lifted so that the legs are suspended. This way they will not break by clinging to the finish and ruin it.
People’s advice and methods
Sometimes furniture has to be dragged – it is impossible to lift it due to its heavy weight. In this case, the racks are covered with slippery soft gaskets. There are several ways to make them.
- Felt – the fabric is easily attached and glides well on the polymer surface. There is an old proven method. Felt boots are put on the legs, putting the slats inside. Without them, holes will fray on the soles. The method only works with natural felt. Synthetic glides poorly.
- Natural wool – An old writing desk or massive wardrobe can be slipped into two or three pairs of woolen socks.
- Pieces of soft plastic that won’t scratch. Sleek, streamlined coffee lids will do. They glide better when covered with soap or dish detergent. Thus, you can at the same time carry out wet cleaning in the apartment . Oil is not suitable for lubrication – it is difficult to remove. It is also better not to use powders – undissolved hard crumbs leave scratches.
- Polished wooden boards – they resemble skis and work on the same principle, evenly distributing the load over the entire area and reducing it at individual points. One board is placed under the right side, the other under the left.
- Plates cut from potatoes. They should be about 3 cm thick. They will leave a mark, but it can be easily removed with a damp cloth. To prevent potato juice from absorbing into the wood or chipboard, the legs are wrapped in polyethylene.
- Lard peel – it is attached to the legs, turning the inside side down. Greasy traces are removed with detergents.
With a large amount of work, before putting linoleum in a room with furniture, it is better to call movers. It is possible to rent the equipment they use.
- Roller platform. It rises and falls in a few seconds. All mechanisms are driven by a handle that acts as a steering wheel. The device is very maneuverable – the front wheel turns around its axis.
- Slings – belts with which they wrap around the body, passing them from below. It is more convenient to grip them than smooth walls and a bottom with sharp protrusions.
How to install flooring
Tools for work
- Hammer and chisel.
- Spatulas and a container in which it is convenient to prepare mortar.
- Planer, saw, if the floor is laid on logs .
- Roulette, ruler and pencil.
- Straight rail along which you can make an even cut.
- Joiner’s knife, scissors.
- Glue notched trowel
- The ironer is a short board with a handle. The canvas is being smoothed for her.
If it has differences in height over the entire area, it will not be possible to align them – for this you need to completely free up space. You will have to forget about the leveling screed. It can only be laid on free square meters in order to eliminate local irregularities. The work is reduced to sealing voids and eliminating bulges. Cracks with crumbling edges are embroidered with a spatula. The surface is cleaned of old finishes, grease stains and debris. To knock down the frozen mortar residues, use a hammer and chisel.
The floor is wiped, then impregnated with antiseptics and a strengthening primer, paying particular attention to the depressions. The impregnation must be completely dry. Only after that the solution is laid. It is treated with soil and antiseptics in the same way as the base. The remaining errors are eliminated with putty.Before you lay linoleum in a room with furniture, where the floors are laid on wooden joists, it is necessary to lift the boards and inspect the details of the structure. Areas affected by mold are cut off. Parts that cannot be restored are replaced with new ones.
The elements of the frame and boards are dried if necessary. They are impregnated antiseptics and varnished to prevent moisture penetration into the fibers. It may be necessary to increase the thickness of the parts by nailing or gluing planks of the desired size on top.
It should be carried out at a temperature not lower than 18 degrees. Linoleum is laid with canvases. The fewer seams between them, the better. The covering should not be cut if it cannot be expanded from wall to wall. You can fix the strips in parts. First, completely free one side and carry out installation on it. Then the objects are rearranged to a new finish, freeing the opposite edge, and work is carried out on it. Before you change linoleum without taking out the furniture, you need to think over the whole sequence of actions. It is necessary to know in advance in what order the plots go and what their area is.
Stages of work
- The canvas, rolled into a roll, is spread on the base. Then it is cut into pieces of the desired length, taking into account the pattern.
- The pieces are straightened for several days by placing a load on top. Usually two days are enough. The process is considered complete after bends and folds disappear.
- The sheets are placed with a slight overlap on three walls. To the fourth, it should come up to a distance of 5 mm. In a room with uneven walls, an overlap is made on four sides. When calculating the position of the canvases, you need to pay attention to their drawing – it should look symmetrical over the entire area.
- The sides overlooking the walls are bent into corners and cut with a sharp knife along the strictly perimeter. This should be done along a straight rail or a long ruler. This is the only method that allows the sheets to fit curved walls. There is no need to rush. It is better to gradually remove material to match the contour of the room than to try to save time and cut more than necessary.
- One or two strips can be laid without glue over an area of up to 25 m 2 . If the space is larger and there is a middle canvas not tied to the walls in the middle, glue is needed. Special formulations are used based on water, acrylic, latex, rubber. They must be compatible with the backing material. It can have a pile, felt, foam, fabric covering on the back. Linoleum is produced, smooth from all sides. See packaging for compatibility information. The glue is applied from a tube or a notched trowel is used, which can create even stripes of the same width and height. They pass over the surface with a trowel.
- The joints are left untreated, or moldings are installed on top. Over a large area, the sheets are joined by cold welding.
- The perimeter is covered with plinths. Soft materials should be allowed to rest for one month and shrink. If you close them right away, waves and folds will appear. Hard linoleum does not shrink.