We will tell you about the types of skirting boards for stretch ceilings, choose an adhesive composition and give step-by-step installation instructions.
Before gluing the plinth to the stretch ceiling , you need to figure out what its peculiarity is, whether ordinary adhesives are suitable for it. There are special products with protrusions for technological gaps between the wall and the baguette, but they are rather difficult to find. They are simply inserted into the mounting profiles.
More often you have to deal with conventional slats that do not have protrusions at the back. They are made of lightweight polymeric materials – foam or polyurethane. Gypsum and other minerals are scarcely used. The ceiling surface can have any pattern, size and color. White borders are easy to paint, so it’s easy to choose a fillet by style. It is more difficult to avoid mistakes during installation. If you fix the prefabricated elements correctly, they will last a long time without losing their shape or flaking from the surface.
Types of skirting boards
The material is expanded polystyrene, polyurethane or resilient elastic plastic. Less commonly used wood, MDF, plaster. They differ from polymers in a large mass and are needed only when a natural finish is required.
Plastic strips for baguette
Most often, ordinary skirting boards with a smooth back surface are installed, but if you are lucky, you can find special plastic profiles for technological gaps between the baguette and the wall. The strips are attached with glue or held with locks. Self-tapping screws and dowels for fastening to a stretch ceiling are rarely used. On the back side they have a groove-lock. It is designed to work with harpoon mounts. The walls of the grooves are tucked into a baguette profile with notches. The connection turns out to be reliable. It does not require additional grip enhancers.
- Plastic compares favorably with polystyrene, polyurethane and natural counterparts in high strength.
- It is the most durable and does not experience temperature and humidity deformations, such as wood.
- The surface is moisture resistant, which allows you to wipe it with a wet cloth.
- The plank is easy to install – no need to wait for the glue to dry.
- It does not need any final finishing.
- Parts are supplied with corner fittings. They do not have to be cut out to create a beautiful joint. It is this part of the work that causes the most difficulties.
- The paint will not adhere to the plastic. It will be impossible to change its color if desired.
- Only white products are produced.
- They are only suitable for harpoon systems. But there are other ways of installing PVC sheets.
- Before you insert the skirting board into the stretch ceiling, you need to level the base. The wall must be perfectly flat, otherwise there will be cracks in places where it bends inward.
Foam elements are versatile moldings with a smooth back. They do not have devices for docking with a baguette, they are installed on glue. Parts are white. They can be painted if necessary.
- Lightness – the array is mainly composed of gas.
- Durability – service life up to 20 years.
- Moisture resistance – the material consists of impermeable bubbles with thin walls that do not allow steam and water droplets to pass through. This property allows it to be used in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Easy to care for. You should wipe the cornices carefully – they are deformed when pressed.
- Low resistance to chemically active substances.
- Fragility – products bend poorly. They are easy to break.
- Polystyrene turns yellow over time when exposed to sunlight.
- During combustion, toxic substances are released (however, the bar is not so high that their content becomes critical).
- Polyfoam does not withstand exposure to high temperatures. It can be located near the heating riser, but it cannot bear the heat from the lamp. According to the standard, spotlights are installed at a distance of 10 cm from the wall.
Installation of a polyurethane ceiling plinth on a stretch ceiling is carried out using glue. The material looks like gypsum, but has the flexibility inherent in polymers. The surface is usually smooth, but can be decorated with a relief pattern.
- Strength – it is much higher than that of polystyrene.
- Flexibility – this property allows you to finish difficult corners and curved bases. Polyurethane is perfect for columns and bay windows.
- They are not afraid of high humidity and temperature extremes. They do not lose their shape when heated and cooled.
- This finish does not absorb odors and can be easily washed off with a wet cloth. It can be used in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Large mass – to attach the skirting board, you need a special glue , since the usual one may not cope with the task. Self-tapping screws are used for heavy parts, which spoils their appearance a little.
- Planks are difficult to cut. For this, a miter saw is used, which allows you to cut the edge of the workpiece exactly at a given angle.
Calculating the number of plinth strips
First, we calculate the perimeter of the entire room. To do this, add the lengths of its walls. If you plan to have a gap in the path, you need to subtract its size and then figure out how many whole parts and scraps we need. We calculate how many whole profiles fit on each side of the room, and what is the length of the cuttings.
Suppose the perimeter is 20 m.Add another 15 cm to the corners.If there are only four of them, you will have to add 15 x 4 = 60 cm or 0.6 m.The total length will be 20 + 0.6 = 20.6 m. the length of one rail is 2 meters. It will not be difficult to count the number of two-meter slats: 20.6 / 2 = 10.3 pcs. or 11 whole rails.
Usually a stock of two moldings is made for contingencies. Total: 11 + 2 = 13 pcs.
The choice of adhesive for foam and polyurethane
For lightweight products, you can use any means.
- “Liquid nails” – for light porous materials, a special composition has been developed – “Installation Express Decor”. It grabs just as quickly as the regular Moment.
- Polymer compounds – some of them are designed for expanded polystyrene. It takes longer, so the molding will need to be pressed for a few seconds during the installation process.
- PVA – has high strength, but dries for a long time. This will take him three minutes.
- Acrylic putty solution – dries instantly, has good adhesion, allowing it to withstand significant loads.
Can a skirting board be glued to a stretch ceiling using these compounds for parts with a large mass? It is better to use special products for polyurethane, plaster or wood. Information is always indicated on the packaging.
Adhesive options for heavy skirting boards
- Polymer solutions.
- Specialized putties.
- Assembly adhesive, eg Titan.
- Docking agents that melt polyurethane at the joints and create a monolithic sealed connection.
Calculation of the amount of glue
To do this, you need to know the perimeter of the room. It is also necessary to find out if there will be breaks. Then you need to calculate the area of the back surface of all moldings. They should be glued to the wall. If you attach them to a PVC film, it will deform and folds will appear on it. In addition, all prefabricated elements will move away from the wall over time as the covering gradually stretches. To calculate the area, add up the total length of the planks and multiply it by their height. Then you need to look at the packaging, how much is consumed per square meter.
Installation of a skirting board on a stretch ceiling
- Reliable stepladder, table, stool.
- Pencil or felt-tip pen for marking.
- Roulette, ruler.
- A stationery knife, a hacksaw, and a miter box or miter saw for cutting corners .
- Brush, putty knife or special glue gun. It is more convenient to remove the putty from a wide spatula.
- Sealant or finishing compound. They are used to close up cracks at joints and other voids.
- Napkins or newspaper sheets to wipe down stained areas.
- Polyethylene – they cover the PVC film.
Start by cleaning and priming the walls . You cannot stick skirting boards on the ceiling covering – otherwise it will become unusable. The slats will move to the center as the film is subjected to constant stress causing it to deform.
You can fix the foam parts on the wallpaper, but heavier products will peel off over time. The basis for them must be absolutely reliable.
The frieze is applied to the place where it will be located, and its lower contour is marked with a pencil. It is more convenient to use a short segment 10-20 cm long. Marks are applied along the entire perimeter, after which they are combined. A long ruler or paint cord is suitable for these purposes. It is covered with paint so that it does not drip down, pulled perpendicular to the base, and then released. On impact, the cord will leave a noticeable, even mark.
First you need to make straight edges. The cornice is laid horizontally and a transverse line is drawn. The distance from it to the edge of the product should be equal to its width. Then, from the back from the line to the edge, draw a diagonal and cut an edge along it with a knife or saw. The adjacent element is also trimmed.
It is more convenient to work with a miter box. It is easy to assemble it from two or three short boards, constructing a tray from them and cutting holes for a knife or saw in the side walls. These holes are positioned to fit the blade at a 45 degree angle. The frieze is brought into the tray, pressed against the wall so that it takes the desired position, and then the blade is inserted into the grooves and the cut is made.
When the two parts are ready, they are applied to the place where they will be located. If they do not fit well, they remove excess material.
Installation of a skirting board for a stretch ceiling starts from the corner. Glue is applied to the back, following the instructions. Its surplus is removed with a spatula and filled in the voids formed at the junctions with the wall. Dirt and mortar residues are removed with a damp sponge. After that, go to the next item. The mixture is applied to the back and the end. Surplus is carefully removed. They fill the remaining voids, paying special attention to the joints.