There are no trifles in interior design. Therefore, special attention is paid to the choice and finishing of the floor covering. Staining is a good idea to update an outdated finish. New paints and varnishes make it possible to obtain an unusual texture, to combine different colors. The result will delight the owner for several years unchanged. Let’s figure out what paint to paint the floor with and how to do it right.
What paint to paint the floor: wood, concrete and other materials
Traditionally, only wooden surfaces were painted. Modern paints and varnishes qualitatively paint not only them, but also metal, concrete bases. It is clear that not everywhere there are such floors, however, there is a possibility to paint them if necessary. The choice of paint and varnish composition must take into account three important factors.
What to consider when choosing
- Indoor humidity level. The composition must match it exactly. For bathrooms, a moisture-resistant agent is chosen, for open verandas and unheated rooms in the country it is best to take a mixture for outdoor work, for dry rooms any is suitable. If you do not follow this rule, the coating will quickly deteriorate.
- Base material. Most often this is some kind of wood: board, plywood, fiberboard, etc. But maybe metal, concrete, composite. We must make sure that the composition can be used for such grounds. This is usually indicated by the manufacturer.
- The intensity of the load. The coating will retain its properties for a long time only if it is chosen correctly. So, for premises with high traffic, a finishing material is chosen that corresponds to this indicator.
All paints and varnishes are divided into two groups. You need to know this when choosing. The first includes transparent preparations. They cover the base with a durable protective film, but at the same time do not hide its texture and color. Colored opaque agents, they completely cover the structure and tone of the base, painting it in the selected color. For wood, you can choose preparations from the first or second group. For other types of floors, only colored compounds are suitable.
Transparent varnishes are produced on water and other types of bases. They are quite difficult to apply and use. They do not hide the defects of the base, so it must be well prepared. Color mixtures are also varied, they are divided into several types.
Varieties of paints
- Acrylic. A mixture of acrylic resin, color pigment and water. Therefore, they are also called water-based. Universal, used for painting any materials, for external and internal work. Non-toxic, easy to apply, dry quickly, resistant to adverse effects.
- Alkyd enamels . The basis of the preparation is alkyd resin. This gives it strength, shine, and moisture-proof properties. Enamels dry quickly, have a pungent odor, and are not resistant to aggressive chemicals. Used in damp areas.
- Polyurethane. Two-component mixtures are characterized by increased wear resistance, can be used on concrete, metal, wood, ceramics. Non-toxic, resistant to ultraviolet light, humidity, temperature extremes. Fully hardened in 10-14 days.
- Oil. The composition includes drying oil and some toxic components. Therefore, the preparations harden for a very long time and have a pungent odor. They are cheap and come in a variety of colors. But at the same time they wear out quickly, are not resistant to mechanical damage, and turn yellow over time.
- Rubber. The polymer mixture, after hardening, turns into a dense elastic film. It does not crack, is resistant to mechanical damage, is durable, does not fade in the sun. Covers small surface defects.
All varieties have their own consumption per square meter. meter. This determines how much it costs to paint the floor. The number indicated on the label is multiplied by the area of the apartment and by the estimated number of layers of staining.
Tools and materials for painting
The choice of paint is only part of the preparation for painting work. In addition to it, other materials will be required. Putty is used to seal cracks and cracks. It can be oil glue, acrylic or oil. The paste is selected based on the composition of the coating with which you will have to work. For wooden floors, use a homemade wood glue mixed with sawdust.
You will also need a primer. This is a preparation intended for preparing the substrate for painting. It closes pores, improves adhesion. There are primers with special properties: antiseptics , flame retardants, etc. The choice of primer is determined by the material of the floor covering. It is desirable that its color, and it is usually white or gray, was close to the tone of the dye mixture. Then it will not show through.
Of the tools for painting, a roller is most often used. Necessarily need a tray into which the coloring paste is poured in portions. We need brushes of different sizes. They paint over complex areas, baseboards, all small fragments. You will need masking tape, which will cover the areas that cannot be painted over, a spatula and a chisel for preparatory operations.
Detailed instructions for painting a wooden floor
To get a good result, it is important to choose the right color preparation and other mixtures. But it is equally important to carry out the preparation and the staining itself without mistakes. Let’s take a step-by-step look at how to paint wood and wood-based flooring. Masters have to work with them most often.
It is most difficult to work where there is already a layer of old coating. Always remove old paint before painting the floor. First, the baseboards are removed, then the boards are carefully examined. Over time, their attachments to the logs weaken and loosen. The fastener caps may lift. They need to be drowned deeper. From the base prepared in this way, clean off the old paint. If it is applied in one layer, it is easiest to use any type of sander. It will not only remove the painted layer, but also level the boards.
You will have to tinker with multi-layer staining. The floor painted with oil paint is treated with a remover, however, it does not always give the expected result. Heat is then applied. The old layer is heated with a building hairdryer, then removed with a scraper or spatula. The base thus cleaned is carefully examined again. Now it is necessary to determine the presence and size of defects: cracks, irregularities, cracks.
Leveling is necessary for significant irregularities. It is carried out using a scraping machine. Then remove all dust and debris. It is good to use a powerful construction vacuum cleaner for this.
Now we need to get rid of cracks and cracks. If they are small, it is enough to seal the defects with a putty and let it harden. Wide slits are embroidered, that is, they are expanded at an angle. Then they insert a wedge greased with glue into them, adjust it to size. Narrow seams are putty.
The surface with sealed slots is passed through with a grinder again, then dust is removed. Treat with a suitable primer . Hard-to-reach areas are smeared with a brush, the rest with a roller. Usually the primer is applied in two to three layers. This is specified on the instruction label. Each subsequent one is applied only after the previous one has completely dried.
Only one color or several tones can be used for painting. The pattern applied over a plain base on a stencil or floorboards painted in contrasting tones looks original. Examples can be seen below in the photo. In any case, the main shade is applied first. Let’s see how to paint a wooden surface.
- If necessary, cover the areas that can be stained with masking tape.
- Preparing the coloring paste for work. We stir it so that there are no lumps and clots left. Pour into the tray.
- With a brush, paint the joints of the walls and flooring around the perimeter of the room. If there are any other hard-to-reach fragments, for example, bends or protrusions, we paint them too.
- We dip the roller into the tray, remove the excess solution, rolling it along a special shelf. We paint the floorboards. We start from the opposite wall to the front door. We move to the exit.
- We are waiting for the complete drying of the first layer. After that, if necessary, apply a second one.
Further actions depend on what result is planned to be obtained. If additional decor is not needed, the dried floorboards are washed with soapy water, then the furniture is arranged.
Additional decoration is performed using stencils, they are glued to the boards with tape. There is also such an option: areas that should not be painted are covered with masking tape. The remaining fragments are painted over with a composition of a different color.