Finally, the long-awaited purchase of the first dishwasher has taken place. Indeed, until recently, such a device from Bosch or Siemens significantly emphasized the status of its owners.
Today, this technique has become much more accessible. It is extremely important to find out how to properly operate the dishwasher and how to start it for the first time.
Still, this technique is still new to most of us. But dishwashers, even such budget ones as Candy or Flavia, belong to the category of complex household appliances that require initial testing.
Therefore, do not rush, it is better to carefully read the technical instructions for the unit. If the accompanying description isn’t clear enough, this article will provide you with the necessary hints for doing a test run, especially if this is the first dishwasher in your kitchen.
Preparation for the first inclusion
After removing the packaging from the machine, subject it to a thorough inspection. If there are complaints about the condition of the unit, it is better to immediately call a specialist from the service. If everything is in order with the dishwasher, you need to check the package, remove the protective clips and proceed with the installation.
After installing the device, most consumers have an irresistible desire to turn on the dishwasher and evaluate the results of its work. Many manufacturers such as Asko, Whirlpool, Electrolux strongly recommend a mandatory test run.
A test run is also an opportunity to make sure that the device is installed correctly:
- The structure must be placed on a solid, level surface. Even a slight deviation from the horizontal level can lead to malfunctions and additional noise and vibrations.
- It is not recommended to install the dishwasher under the kitchen hob. It will generate excess heat, and its magnetic radiation may cause incorrect operation.
- It is necessary to make sure that the electrical outlet is working, the connecting wire of the machine should not heat up when it is turned on. It is advisable not to use extension cords when connecting to AC power.
- Especially carefully check that the cold water supply valve is working properly, it must completely shut off the water. This is necessary for prompt shutdown in case of leakage.
- It is necessary to check the water supply hose itself, if possible, then an additional filter must be installed.
- When connecting the device to the sewer, it is important to make sure that the drain hose is not bent or pinched. It must be well fixed in the corresponding hole of the machine.
- When closing the dishwasher door, a characteristic clicking sound should be heard. The impeller should rotate evenly and smoothly.
Why is an idle start necessary?
As noted in the operating instructions for the Bosch dishwasher, a test run of the device is an inevitable operation before starting permanent operation. Only thanks to this procedure, you can make sure that the dishwasher is working properly, and at the same time clean it from transport dust and dirt.
Some parts of the dishwasher come from the factory in technological lubrication. Small debris may be present inside the device, during further operation it may clog the filters.
Many consumers want to immediately load the cookware at the first start and check the effectiveness of a new purchase. It is not right.
The first wash cycle is necessary to get rid of technical grease and factory debris that may be inside the unit. Getting these foreign substances on the kitchen utensils can only disappoint the owner of the machine. Therefore, it is enough to install all the baskets in the tank.
Important! In the course of the test inclusion, you need to clarify:
- water collection speed;
- degree of water heating;
- whether the water is drained at the end of the cycle;
- the type of drying in the dishwasher and the correct temperature settings.
All of the above functions should work properly.
Failed on first run
There are a considerable number of reasons why the dishwasher does not show signs of life when it is turned on for a test.
Please read the operating instructions carefully before using for the first time. It will give detailed information about the functional purpose of the buttons, it contains a description of all the main components of the mechanism and decoding of possible errors.
Minor breakdowns such as a clogged filter or a pinched hose can be fixed on your own, but what if the dishwasher makes strange sounds during operation or, in a critical case, smoke and the smell of overheated plastic are noticeable.
- If smoke begins to appear (no matter what – dark or white), and the smell of burnt plastic is felt – you must immediately turn off the device from the network. These signs characterize a serious defect in the machine, incorrect assembly of the device is possible, therefore, a warranty wizard must be called.
- The operation of the machine “hangs” in the middle of the program, which means a system failure of the electronics. The following may help: you need to unplug the device from the mains for 15 minutes and then turn it on again. If failures continue to occur a few more times, then professional help is needed.
It is almost impossible to eliminate a system defect on your own; you need to call a qualified specialist. But if the unit is new and gave a serious failure at the first start, it is better to replace the machine, or repair it free of charge under warranty.
Important! Before purchasing the device, carefully read the possibilities for providing warranty repairs.
Serious trading companies such as Bosch, Gaggenau, Miele provide quality service in most major cities.
First run order
Carefully inspect the internal surfaces of the device, remove unnecessary stickers from them, remove packing pads and pieces of wire, foam balls.
Important! Before the test run of the device, it is necessary to open the water, otherwise the washing program will not start.
Never allow the machine to come into contact with wet hands. Also only test run indoors, never outdoors.
Attention! Test washing of the unit does not yet indicate that it must be carried out without detergent ingredients. Detergents, as well as salt, are required at the first run.
At the beginning of the test, it is necessary to determine what is desirable to be used for washing: liquid gel, powder or tablets. Using the buttons on the control panel of the device, it is necessary to set the position of which agent is being used.
If before there was no experience in operating such a device, and there are no skills in using household chemicals, then it makes sense to purchase a starter kit. It consists of essential ingredients for the full operation of the device. Now you can start the test run:
- Initially, you need to push the lower basket towards you. At the bottom of the unit you can see the salt compartment. Remove the lid and fill the dishwasher compartment with the right amount of ionic salt, which is also used to reduce water hardness (approximately 400 grams). To do this, you can use a special funnel that comes with the device. So that the salt does not stick together into a lump, it is advisable to pour about a liter of water into the receiver. Excess of this water will go into the tank, it is not dangerous.
- Place the required amount of detergent in the correct compartment and make the necessary settings on the front panel. Some models recognize chemistry on their own.
- Previously, using test strips, the hardness of tap water is determined. Then it is necessary to enter into the memory of the dishwasher the salt supply mode, which is determined precisely by the hardness of the water. If the equipment for any reason remains without the supply of electrical energy, then in almost all models these settings will have to be re-introduced. Also, set the control panel to medium temperature.
We set any washing mode, smoothly fix the door and press “Start”.
If the test run was rated “good” and the operation of the machine did not reveal any shortcomings, then the test run can be considered completed. The dishwasher must cool down, and the detergent must be added, but the salt and rinse aid will last for a long time.
Everything, your new assistant, is ready for further work.