A steam generator is a specialized apparatus designed to create dry and wet steam under pressure. Basically, steam generators are used for the service sector and for ensuring production processes.
Industrial steam generators are used in tobacco, woodworking, light and food industries, as well as in construction, medicine and fuel economy. With this device, you can heat treat various tools, process fruits and vegetables, make sausages, and remove ice in winter. In addition, steam generators are used for drying and cleaning lumber, degreasing the surface, etc.
Steam generator device
The industrial steam generator includes several main blocks:
- Frame. This is the basis on which all the main functional units of the device are located.
- Boiler. It is a tank that is equipped with special sensors that control the optimal minimum allowable liquid levels.
- Electronics. This is a collection of ultra-precise sensors that are necessary for the proper functioning of devices. And also in order to ensure full control over each stage of steam production.
- Pressure sensor. It controls the internal pressure of the device and the pressure of the outgoing steam.
- Electric pump. With its help, water is supplied to the boiler. It is selected based on the performance of the steam generator.
The unit produces water vapor due to the fact that it heats the working medium (for example, water) with electric heating elements, however, there are other similar devices.
Types of steam generators
- Electric steam generator – the main feature of this type of industrial equipment is that it converts electrical energy into heat, that is, into steam.
- One of the most common methods is the production of steam using heating elements of different capacities. This steam generator has a simple structure, is inexpensive to manufacture, convenient to use, and easy to replace if necessary;
- Electrode steam generator. Its basis is the electrical conductivity of water. The principle of operation of such a steam generator is that voltage is applied to electrodes immersed in water. This ensures the passage of electric current through the water. Since water is an excellent conductor, Joule heat is released during the passage of current through it. And accordingly, under its influence, water is converted into steam.
- RF radiation. This method is also called induction heating. In this case, the water in the steam generator is heated according to the principle of operation, similar to the operation of a microwave oven. That is, the formation of steam is carried out by irradiating high-frequency waves. Since HF radiation requires special measures to isolate it from others, this method is rarely used in industrial-type steam generators.
- Gas steam generator. Such generators are capable of operating on gaseous fuels of all types, including liquefied gas. If you have access to the main gas pipeline, then this device will be the best option. The main advantages of a gas steam generator are: cheap energy carrier (gas); high efficiency; compactness; ease of installation and use; environmental Safety. It is also possible to obtain saturated and unsaturated steam of different pressures. In addition, the gas steam generator is explosion-proof, since there is no large water volume under high pressure.
- Diesel steam generator. Works on diesel fuel and fuel oil. Such a generator has high power. Its steam generator is a single continuous spiral pipe (coil). It has a combustion chamber in which the heating elements are located. This type of equipment is autonomous, which allows it to be installed in small boiler containers.
- Combined high pressure generator. It has the ability to work on gas and liquid fuels of all types. This is due to the fact that the equipment has burners of different types. Such an industrial steam generator is the most demanded in large-scale industries.
There are also open and closed types of steam generators. The first type of equipment is used in an open system where condensate is not returned to the generator. The second type of plant generates steam in a closed system where the condensate is returned back to the steam generator to be converted back into steam.
Basically, for the production of saturated steam in heavy industry, gas, solid and liquid fuel, as well as combined devices are used.
What should be considered when choosing equipment?
The most important aspect when choosing an industrial steam generator is its performance. It is characterized by the amount of steam generated in the equipment in a set time period (one kilogram of steam per hour). Based on performance indicators, three groups of steam generators are distinguished:
- Low power. Provide steam production up to two tons per hour.
- Medium power. Create steam up to 16 tons per hour.
- High power. The capacity of such an overall boiler plant ranges from 16 to 82 tons per hour.
For small businesses and the consumer service sector, which need to produce a small amount of steam, a mobile steam generator is best suited. It is indispensable at facilities that are far from stationary heat sources. They can be mounted in containers and transported. On some models of mobile units there are tanks for fuel and water. Others are able to draw water from external sources.
For medium and large industrial facilities, stationary steam generators with a capacity of at least 10 tons / hour are well suited.
When choosing equipment, in addition to performance indicators, you should carefully consider the pressure of the outgoing steam that the generator has. Depending on the field of activity, steam is used at different pressures. Therefore, it is necessary to choose a type of industrial apparatus that would best meet all the requirements of a particular industry. Based on the pressure parameters, the following groups of equipment can be distinguished:
- A device with a low pressure indicator, not more than 1 MPa. It is used in greenhouses, meat and dairy industries, in the construction industry. At pharmaceutical and oil refining enterprises, such installations are used for the purpose of disinfection and for the treatment of various surfaces. And household-type dry cleaners use them to steam things from different fabrics.
- The device with medium pressure, from 1 to 10 MPa. It is mainly used for heating in homes and industrial facilities, as well as for servicing the workflow of small firms.
- High pressure device, from 10 to 22.5 MPa. With the help of such equipment, administrative, industrial and residential high-rise buildings are heated. In addition, this unit supplies steam to electric generators and industrial devices.
- Supercritical pressure devices, more than 22.5 MPa. These are used in heavy industry of various kinds, from metallurgy to oil refining.
Steam generators with iron
An industrial steam generator with iron is used in a mini-laundry, atelier, mini-hotel, as well as in the production of clothing, in ironing shops. It serves to qualitatively and intensively iron large volumes of fabric. The iron with a steam generator has a heating soleplate and steam supply. This is such a professional device in which the boiler heats the water and the resulting steam enters the iron. This combination has the maximum effect when ironing:
- High quality.
Plus, these devices are very durable, practical and multifunctional.
In what areas are mobile and stationary steam generators used?
All medium and high pressure steam generators are successfully used in almost every industrial segment:
- In the mining complex and in oil refining. With the help of steam generators: they inject steam into the layers of oil deposits, equip installations for the extraction of minerals, clean the surfaces of pipelines and tanks.
- In the construction industry. Reinforced concrete products are steamed in specialized chambers, crushed stone and sand are heated in winter. As well as with the help of steam equipment, an asphalt concrete mixture is produced.
- Chemical and pharmaceutical plant. Steam generators carry out sterilization and create a favorable micro-atmosphere in the biological laboratory.
- Food production. Constant steam generation is essential for working conditions in the production of meat, fish, sausage and milk.
- Woodworking industry. The equipment is used for drying lumber in steam chambers, as well as for the production of pulp and paper.
The industrial steam generator is used everywhere. The scope of its use is quite wide and is not limited to the above industrial segments. A wide range of equipment with different functionality allows you to choose a steam generator that will be fully adapted to the work processes at a particular facility.