Metal tile – a material that is used to decorate the roof along with such popular materials as slate, bituminous tiles and galvanized sheet. Excellent technical characteristics make it excellent options for any home. And although they usually prefer to invite professionals to carry out this kind, we will consider how to independently carry out the metal tile roof installation: step-by-step instructions and some recommendations from specialists.
What are the advantages of metal tile roof installation
A tile roof, especially if it is made of metal, is one of the best options for decorating a home. Experts and users themselves note many positive aspects of using this material, including:
- low weight (4-6 kg / m²), which provides a very small load on the roof;
- simple installation procedure and ease of repair work;
- wide range of color schemes;
- the material is environmentally friendly and does not contain any harmful components;
- the coating is equipped with stiffening ribs, which makes it very durable. Provided that all installation recommendations are followed, the surface is capable of withstanding a load of 200 kg / m², even if sheets with a thickness of 0.5 mm were used;
- the material is extremely temperature resistant. He is not afraid of any drops, and the rate of thermal expansion is minimal.
There is practically no need to talk about the shortcomings of metal tiles, with the exception, perhaps, of an increased noise level on days when it rains. But it is quite possible to cope with this if you first lay a layer of glass wool.
Criteria for choosing a material for a roof made of metal: photo examples
Before you start considering the installation process of this roofing material, you need to decide how exactly the material should be used.
Viewing photos of roofs, on which metal tiles look attractive, is far from the best method in this case, since in the selection process you need to pay attention to the list of additional elements, as well as the marking provided by the manufacturer. Consider what the buyer needs to know.
First of all, you need to pay attention to the presence in the price list of such additional elements as:
- various types of skates: simple, curly and with aerators;
- special pass-through units for installing pipes, hatches, ventilation, antennas, as well as lighting windows;
- elements designed to ensure the safety of surface maintenance – walking bridges, ladders, snow holders;
- indoor and outdoor valleys;
- other necessary elements are wall profiles, pediments, cornice strips of metal, the installation of which is a mandatory part of the arrangement of the roof.
Important! The presence of all these elements among the seller’s offers is an indicator of the level of the company that produces metal tiles, which may also indicate the quality of the products themselves.
In addition, it is worth paying attention to the study of labeling, which must be present on each certified material. Usually, in production, all the characteristics of the material itself are indicated, as well as the level of quality of the anti-corrosion coating that is applied over the sheet.
So, here is what information can be gleaned by reading the information provided on the back of the sheet of metal:
- the presence of polymers;
- how much zinc is there per 1 m² of sheet;
- the date of manufacture and the period of the warranty period for using the material;
- manufacturer’s name;
- sheet thickness.
In the process of visual inspection, you need to pay attention to the integrity of the protective layer, both on the front and on the seamy side of the sheet, as well as the presence of all mandatory markings.
Important! If we are talking about material purchased from a large manufacturer, then the marking will also contain information about the brand of steel used.
Can I install a metal roof myself?
Given the fact that the price of installing metal tiles has never been low, many people prefer to try to do everything they need on their own. Although initially it is worth familiarizing yourself with how much professional installation of metal tiles costs. The price of work per m2 starts from 250 rubles and may increase depending on the complexity.
The installation process of a metal roof, the technology of which will be discussed later, consists of several stages, each of which has its own significance and must be carried out properly.
Laying metal tiles: preparatory stage and calculations
The first thing that needs to be done if it was decided to independently carry out the procedure for laying metal on the roof surface – preliminary calculations. This is necessary in order to determine how many materials are required and, accordingly, to avoid unnecessary costs.
To begin with, we will clarify some basic concepts so that in the future the question of how exactly the roof made of metal tiles does not arise. If you look at the roof, which has already been covered with this material, you can see that it consists of rows that run across the slope and waves. The distance from one row to another is called a step.
There is such a thing as a “model”. By this name they mean sheets of metal, the pitch of which is 35 cm, and the number of waves is 6. On sale, you can find sheets of modules 1, 3, 6 and 10.
Useful advice! In addition to purchasing sheets of standard sizes, you can consider the option of individual production of metal tiles to order. Of course, it will cost much more, but in this way you can get exactly the kind of material that is right for you. The main thing to remember is that the length of one sheet should not be less than 45 cm or more than 7 m.
In the process of choosing a suitable sheet size, you need to be guided by the fact that after installation, the joints and waves converge in such a way as to form a single coating along the entire length of the slope. At the same time, it is quite simple to calculate the amount of material, taking into account the length of the roof and sheets.
When purchasing a metal tile, it is important to pay attention to some additional elements that are included in the kit and allow for proper installation. This includes steel strips 2 m long, as well as sheets of steel 200×125 cm, which should have the same color as the tiles.
In the process of purchasing metal, you need to make sure that these auxiliary elements are in sufficient quantity and meet all the requirements. For example, the standard plank incline is 30 degrees. Although other options are possible at the request of customers – from 11 to 70 degrees.
Important! 11 degrees is the minimum slope at which the installation of metal tiles is permissible.
DIY materials and tools for laying metal tiles
In order to carry out the installation of metal tiles with your own hands, you need to take care of the availability of some tools and materials in advance that will allow you to carry out all the work as simply and efficiently as possible:
- electric drill;
- scissors for cutting metal;
- a hammer;
- mounting tape.
It is also worth taking care of the presence of a stepladder and means for personal protection of the face and hands (glasses, gloves).
As for the consumables that will be required to prepare the base and fasten the metal tile, this list includes: waterproofing material, roofing strips, tiles, as well as aero roller, planks for the ridge and butt ends, guide board and boards 2.5×10 cm. by itself, you will also need fasteners – self-tapping screws and special sealing washers for them.
Useful advice! To give an attractive appearance to the coating, it is worth using decorative overlays.
How to fasten a metal tile: stages of preparatory work
The low weight of the metal tile allows a minimum amount of preparatory work before proceeding to laying. Nevertheless, it will still be necessary to prepare a suitable foundation. Since there is no need for a reinforced base, a regular wooden lathing made from slats is fine .
The procedure is extremely simple – based on the step of the selected metal tile, slats are located on the surface. It is important to maintain a uniform distance so that during the fastening of the roofing material you do not have to screw the screws into the void. Another important factor that should be taken into account during the installation of the crate is the location of the windows. It is highly undesirable to place the rafters directly above the windows.
Thermal insulation during the installation of a metal roof
When it comes to installing a roof made of metal tiles, the thermal insulation material is designed to solve two problems at once – to reduce heat loss, as well as to reduce the noise level that rain drops produce when they fall on the surface. To do this, a vapor barrier material is first laid on the rafters, and then a layer of thermal insulation. At the same time, it is important that the layer thickness does not exceed 25 cm. An antioxidant film is attached from above, fixing it with wooden blocks directly to the rafters.
Important! In order to ensure that rainfall drains into the drain, the material must be fixed with a small allowance (approximately 2 cm). Due to such a small sagging, there will be no problems with water draining .
Such a “pie” is the most effective roof insulation system, which is allowed by the metal tile installation technology. As for the choice of thermal insulation material, there are several options that depend on cost, quality and manufacturer.
Metal roofing device: basic rules of work
Before starting work related directly to the laying of metal tiles, you need to familiarize yourself with some rules and concepts that will prevent common mistakes and do everything necessary with the highest quality:
- There are two ways to lay sheets of metal: from right to left and from left to right. In the first case, each subsequent sheet should be overlapped with the previous one, and in the second the previous sheet should be superimposed.
- Do not immediately attach each sheet fully. Before screwing on the metal tile, it is best to lay four sheets and lightly grab them with fasteners so that they hold. Then you need to make sure they are positioned as needed and trim if necessary. For the final fixing, one self-tapping screw is used, which goes through all the sheets.
- The service life of the entire roof is highly dependent on the quality of the fasteners used. Therefore, the choice of self-tapping screws must be given due attention. It is important that they are galvanized and must have special seals on the heads that will be able to hermetically fill the holes when the screw is completely screwed into the hole.
- In those places where several sheets were fixed at once with the help of one fastening element, one way or another, a seal will appear. In order to smooth it, you need to cut off a part of the corner or you can straighten the capillary ditch, which is located under the stamping line.
Fixing diagram of metal tiles and other necessary elements
Certain rules also exist for the installation of other mandatory elements, without which no roof can do. Here are some recommendations regarding the installation scheme for metal tiles and other elements:
- end strips should be fixed with an overlap, which should be about 2 cm. In this case, the wave size should be adjusted in accordance with the width of the ramp. Otherwise, you may be faced with the fact that the ridge will fit on the pediment;
- for the curtain rod, it is also necessary to have an overlap of 10 cm on the lower bar of the sheathing, to which it is attached with nails;
- between the sheet of metal and the roof strip, it is necessary to lay an additional layer of sealing material;
- for the arrangement of all the elements located below the ridge (pipes and windows), sheets with one module are used. Usually, 2 pieces are required for each structural element;
- if the roof slope is sloping, then it is necessary to additionally install an aero roller between the ridge strip and the material itself. This will avoid the penetration of atmospheric precipitation under the ridge;
- the ridge should be fixed to the slats, which are located in the end part of the entire structure. In this case, the calculations should be carried out taking into account the required protrusion, which is 2-3 cm. Moreover, if you have to deal with a flat ridge, then the fastening is made with an overlap, and for semicircular elements according to the profile lines;
- it is necessary to study in advance the specifics of installing a drip under the metal tile, and clearly follow all instructions.
Useful advice! If you have to work with a roof, the angle of inclination of which is more than 45 degrees, then it is worthwhile to carry out calculations in advance, which will determine whether it is possible to install a specific model of the ridge strip in this case. This must be done, since otherwise, it may even be necessary to completely replace the entire roofing.
It is worth paying attention to the fact that, if necessary, the ridge bar lends itself to some adjustment. That is, it can not be bent or bent to provide the most accurate repetition of the angle of inclination of the roof. You can know more about such subtleties from the video instructions for installing metal tiles.
Another extremely important element, the installation rules of which cannot be neglected, is the valley. For each such element, an additional board must be attached. In this case, fastening should start from the bottom, gradually moving up and not forgetting the need for overlap (in this case, 25-30 cm). Below the level of the eaves, the lower bar is necessarily cut off. Then follows the flanging, under which, like under the ridge, a seal is laid.
A gap of about 8-10 cm remains between the sheets and the axis. Then, screws are screwed into the cut sheets at a distance of about 1.5 cm from the stamping line. At the same time, the mount should be located 25 cm from the axis of the valley. If you follow this technology, then in the end the sheet, in the place of the fastener, will converge with the board on which the valley is located.
As for the installation of the valley below, it must be started before laying the roofing material. This is important in order to further ensure that water drains directly into the additional element.
Important! All errors in the process of calculations and measurements can lead to the appearance of gaps on the surface, and when heavy precipitation begins, most likely the roof will leak.
In order to cover those places where cropped sheets are visible, use special decorative overlays. When installing them, you also need to remember a few simple rules:
- installation must be made from the bottom up;
- a sealant between the overlay and tile is not needed;
- overlays must be overlapped at least 10 cm;
- fasteners (in this case, self-tapping screws) must not cause damage to the valley.
Very often you have to deal with situations when the beginning and end of the endows are located directly on the roof slope. As an example, consider the case when a dormer is being installed. In such a situation, it is necessary to lay a separate board, and a hole is made in the sheet of metal for the window itself. At the same time, the cornice cut is covered with a bar. And along the walls, a sealing material must be laid.
How to install metal tiles on a roof with a triangular or trapezoidal slope
If there is a need to cover a triangular or trapezoidal roof with metal tiles, then you will definitely need to install two additional bars. They are installed along the fold line of the roof on both sides of the ridge. After that, the cornice board is mounted and the assembly of the battens begins. The step of the lathing for metal tiles in this case is calculated in the same way as with the standard scheme. Then the eaves system is installed. They begin to lay the metal tile only after carrying out all these procedures, orienting and leveling the first sheet along the cornice bar.
Important! The distance between the corner sheets that were trimmed and installed near the ridge should not exceed 10 cm.
In order to install the ridge knots, you need to align the ridge strips relative to the ridge angle. In the case of using a straight ridge, it must be cut according to the available corners, and special plugs are provided for the semicircular ridge. Moreover, it is best to use plastic models.
The ridge plate should be located strictly along the axis of the ridge. It is not too difficult a task if the angles of the ramp are the same. If they have different values, then the task becomes much more complicated. As an auxiliary material, a bright mounting foam is used, which allows you to determine the quality of abutment to the slopes.
Installation instructions for metal tiles “Monterrey”
A separate type of metal tile that is undoubtedly worthy of attention is monterrey. This option is very popular due to some exceptional features:
- extremely high level of material resistance to both ultraviolet radiation and other external factors, for example, moisture and temperature;
- due to a layer of polymer applied to the surface of the tile, it does not lose its appearance throughout the entire service life;
- the material is extremely durable and hard, so that it can withstand severe stress;
- multi-layer structure prevents corrosion;
- due to its low weight (one square meter of material weighs no more than 5 kg), the load on the rafter system is significantly reduced;
- using this option is a great savings as there is no need to take a large step between the bindings. Initially, the installation instructions for Monterrey metal tiles provide 35-centimeter steps.
There are only two disadvantages of this material – a large amount of residues after installation, as well as the need for high-quality sound insulation.
As for the features that you need to know about before laying the Montrerey metal tile, the following aspects play a role here:
- for different models of this material, it is necessary to prepare a different crate. So, for a Standard or Super metal tile, a step of 35 cm will be sufficient, but for Lux or Maxi, the step should be 40 cm;
- in the most difficult places of the roof (usually these are internal corners, as well as the place where the chimney outlet is located), you need to make a continuous crate;
- on the abutment strips, to exit the chimney, you need to install internal aprons;
- the installation instructions for the “Monterrey” metal tile does not provide for the use of material whose length is more than 4 m;
- Before installing the material, it is necessary to remove the protective coating, as it may be impossible to do this in the future.
It is categorically impossible to cut the sheet in the transverse direction, as this can lead to the profile crumbling. Also, in no case should you use a grinder or other tools with abrasive wheels for this purpose.
Interesting! The metal cascade Cascade also looks great, the installation instructions for which are not too different from all the others. But on the other hand, the appearance of such a roof is considered more aesthetic and original.
How to properly care for roofing with metal tiles
Having studied the step-by-step installation instructions for metal siding, you can carry out its high-quality installation. But in order for the material to serve for many years, you need to know how to care for it.
The top layer of metal is a polymeric material that is designed to protect against corrosion processes. But as a result of constant exposure to external factors: atmospheric precipitation, ultraviolet rays, as well as dust and dirt, this layer can begin to collapse, which will lead to the need to replace the coating. In order to avoid this phenomenon and extend the operating life of the roof, the following procedures must be carried out regularly:
- remove dirt, dust and dry leaves from the surface using a damp fluffy brush;
- when it comes to eliminating more complex contaminants, it is acceptable to use cleaning products, but only those designed for polymer surfaces. It is strictly forbidden to use aggressive chemicals, as they destroy the protective layer and render the material unusable;
- cleaning of gutters is carried out using a stream of water, which should be directed from the ridge to the cornices;
- it is possible and necessary to clean the snow, but it should be done only with the use of such tools that are not capable of damaging the delicate coating.
Subject to these simple, but extremely important rules, a metal tile covering can properly serve as a roofing material for about 50 years.
DIY common mistakes in the process of installing a metal roof with your own hands
Inexperienced masters often make mistakes, which can lead to the fact that the work will have to be partially, and sometimes completely, redone. Such negligence can lead to additional expenses for the purchase of material and consumables, so it is better to familiarize yourself with common mistakes in advance in order to prevent them:
- the installation of metal tiles should be carried out exclusively in shoes with soft soles that cannot damage or scratch the coating;
- it is strictly forbidden to step on the crest of the wave, as this can cause deformation;
- moreover, stepping on sheets with a complete foot is generally not recommended;
- when moving along the surface of the material, the leg must be placed parallel, and not perpendicular to the slope;
- you can take the material only with gloves.
Taking into account these simple rules, and also acting in accordance with the technology of laying metal tiles, you can independently make a beautiful and reliable roof.
Installation of snow holders on metal tiles: instructions and their varieties
A high level of safety is one of the main requirements that apply to a roof made of any material, including metal tiles. For this purpose, special designs are used, which are called snow retainers. And the main goal is to ensure safe snow from the roof and prevent possible dangerous situations. In addition, they help to preserve the original shape of the structure, and do not allow it to deform under the weight of icy snow. And given that its weight in some cases may exceed the weight of the roof itself, this problem is quite urgent.
Important! The distribution of the load that snow exerts on the roof surface should be thought out even at the stage of laying the foundation. This factor must be taken into account in the calculations.
It is almost impossible to predict how the snow will be distributed on the roof surface. It depends on many factors, including the angle of the roof, the direction of the wind, etc. Therefore, in order to make calculations, a special formula is used:
Q = G×s
In this case, Q is the load exerted by snow, G is the mass of snow on a flat roof surface, which can be found out from a special table, and S is a correction factor that depends on the angle of inclination of the roof:> 25 ° – 1, if 25- 60 ° – 0.7. If the degree of inclination is greater than 60, then this is not taken into account, since in this case the precipitation on the surface will not be exactly delayed.
An important stage in finishing a roof using metal tiles is the installation of all additional elements that not only protect the coating, but also allow you to hide non-aesthetic joints and edges
In order to determine indicator G, it is necessary to refer to a special table that provides information on snow cover for each region of the country.
Installation of tubular snow holders on metal tiles: installation rules
As a rule, a pipe that is laid along the roof is used as the basis for the snow retainers. In the case of using metal tiles as a roofing material, fixation is made in the places where the roof and the load-bearing wall are connected.
It is strictly forbidden to fix these elements on the cornice strip for metal, as this can entail the destruction of all systems. Moreover, if you have to deal with a ramp, the length of which is quite large, then the installation of snow retainers on the metal tile must be done in several rows at once to provide a more reliable fixation.
The pipes themselves are mounted on the roof either end-to-end or staggered. Special attention should be paid to the installation of such a system in the event that the house has an attic. In this case, the installation must be made in such a way that a snow retainer is located above each window opening. As for the distance from the edge of the roof to the elements, 40-50 cm is quite enough.
Lattice snow holders for metal roofing: how to fix it correctly
Lattice snow holders are considered the most effective, so those users who are interested in the quality of the installed systems prefer this option. There are two types of such structures – ordinary and “royal”, although it is worth recognizing that there is not much difference between them, with the exception of the supports and the complexity of the gratings.
The high level of efficiency and safety of this type of snow retention is due to their considerable height, due to which they may not be useful not only in winter when it comes to snow retention, but also in summer. Indeed, it is in the warm season that all kinds of repair work are most often carried out.
Corner snow holders for metal tiles
Corner snow guards are thin steel sheets that are coated with a polymer coating that protects them from corrosion. This is one of the most budgetary options, which at the same time allows you to effectively prevent snow from rolling off the roof. It is very easy to choose a model that will fit the existing metal tile, since the range of colors is extremely large.
To fix the corner snow holders on the roof of the roof with metal tiles, self-tapping screws and ordinary metal corners are used. Fastening is performed on the upper wave of the sheet.
These are just a few of the design options that can be used to prevent snow from rolling off the roof. The metal tile is perfectly combined with many models and varieties of these elements, so there will definitely not be problems with the choice and fixation.
Installation skylight in a metal tile
It is believed that the installation of skylights is not a task for beginners, and this question is best addressed to specialists who have the proper experience in this field. But this does not mean at all that it is unrealistic to do it yourself, especially if you use step-by-step instructions for dummies. Installation of metal and the installation of the window itself in this case may well pass without any problems.
First of all, it is worth paying attention to the fact that the maximum possible width of such a window should be 80-120 mm less than the opening between the rafters. In cases where the rafter step is very small, two small windows are installed in adjacent niches.
Window installation is carried out after the roofing “cake” is completely made, then you need to install the mounting beam, for which I use the same boards as for the rafter system. Then make the installation of the frame and mount the sash. It is very important to take care of high-quality waterproofing so that in the future the window does not become a source of precipitation into the house.
Of course, you have to make some changes in the process of installing the lathing under the metal tile, and pay special attention to the issue of installing the ridge of the metal tile if you plan to have a roof window. But all these difficulties are more than justified by the excellent result that awaits the owners as a result.