Ondulin is one of the most convenient for installation, roofing.The dimensions of the ondulin sheets allow the construction of a roof from this material, even alone. The use of these soft, but at the same time sufficiently durable sheets is justified in various fields of civil engineering, from private homes to small shops and office buildings.Therefore, the installation instructions for ondulin will be useful to anyone who plans to carry out roofing works.
Ondulin sheet sizes and its consumer properties
The production of this roofing material has been carried out since 1994. Then it was invented in France. In our country, he appeared relatively recently, but he earned a well-deserved popularity. Evroshifer production technology, also known as we ondulin , based on the bitumen impregnation of pressed pulp. Sheets are made wavy, similar to the usual familiar slate.
The color of the sheets depends on the pigment added to the bitumen impregnation, as well as on its saturation. The surface of the sheets is treated with thermal resin and other mineral components. This ensures moisture resistance and durability.
Ondulin, whose photo can be found in various online stores, consists of several substances:
- Mineral fillers.
- Thermal resin with pigments from minerals.
- Bitumen purified from impurities.
- Cellulose fiber.
Useful advice! Since bituminous components predominate in the composition of ondulin, when it is heated, it emits a persistent smell of oil products. For this reason, it is not recommended for use in child care facilities and in places where air circulates poorly.
The standard sizes of the ondulin sheet are not much different from the sizes of the slate sheets and are:
- Normal length – 2 m.
- The generally accepted width is 0.95 m.
- Product thickness – 3 mm.
- The wave has a height of 3.6 cm.
- The mass of one sheet is 6 kg.
The difference lies in the weight, which is significantly less, and the finer wave height. That weight is the main advantage over other roofing materials. After all, the details of the rafter system under the ondulin roof can be much thinner. Since this material can be conditionally classified as a soft type of roof, its installation is very convenient. Fasten the sheets to the crate with nails with large hats. You can cut them with an ordinary hacksaw or circular saw. The dimensions of the ondulin allow its laying alone or together, which greatly reduces the cost of installation work. As disadvantages, we indicate: the smell when heated and a low fire safety class.
Installation instructions for ondulin
The technology for installing this material on a pitched roof is highly dependent on the angle of its inclination. If it lies in the range from 5 to 10 degrees, then a continuous crate is made. It can be made of tesa with a thickness of 15 to 25 mm or multilayer plywood. Between themselves adjacent sheets are lapped on 2 waves. Sheets from adjacent rows are laid on top of each other by 300 mm. The top sheet is laid on the bottom until it reaches the top of the ramp. The standard sizes of ondulin allow you to lay three rows of sheets on a 5-meter slope.
If the angle of inclination of the planes of the roof slopes increases to a range of 10 – 15 degrees, then the crate can be made not continuous. An interval of 45 cm is taken along the axes. That is, this is the distance between the upper edges of two adjacent boards. The overlap at the ends is 200 mm, and on the sides in 1 wave. Larger than 15 degrees, the tilt angles allow the use of a crate with an axial interval of 60 cm, an overlap at the ends of 170 mm and a side in 1 wave.
Each battens board is nailed parallel to the cornice board. To do this, make a reference “interval” from the bars, which is used to mark the mounting location of each next battens board. To accurately lay out the wavy sheets, you need to take a small piece of ondulin with a straight edge and draw on it with a colored pencil. This will allow accurate lines to be drawn.
Useful advice! When cutting ondulin sheets, the hacksaw needs to be lubricated with machine oil. This will not allow her to get stuck in the viscous structure of the material.
Step-by-step algorithm for installing an ondulin roof
Further instructions for installing ondulin are:
- We determine the edge of the roof, which is located on the other side of the prevailing winds in your area.
- From the selected edge of the roof, we begin to lay the first row. In this case, special attention should be paid to the first sheet. Its lower cut should be absolutely parallel to the cornice. First, they attach it to one nail in order to adjust the position if necessary.
- Over the entire length of the plank, the laths pull the rope. This is necessary so as not to spread a nail past the board. When 3 sheets are laid, and you are convinced that they lie parallel to the cornice board, nail them. About 20 nails must be driven into each sheet. At the ends of the sheets, nails are driven into each wave, in the middle it is possible through one, and the lateral overlap is fixed on both sides.
- After the initial row is securely nailed, you can begin to stack the second. Particular attention should be paid to lapping with nails. Sheets in these places should not have backlash. Similarly, lay all subsequent rows of ondulin . When moving around the sheets with your feet, you need to go only to places where there are crates and only in soft shoes, and preferably barefoot, if the weather allows.
- When the sheets on both slopes of the roof are fully fixed, proceed with the installation of the ridge element. It is made of the same material, so it is very pliable. They begin to fix it from the same side, from where they began to stack the sheets. Overlap is done at least 125 mm. Nail a horse in each wave of all sheets on both sides.
- After that draw up the valleys, if any, which are produced and sold together with the sheets. For their device make a special crate.
- Closing the ends of the roof is made with a tongue or ridge ondulin, which begins to nail from the bottom. Its fastening is made both from above and from the side. If on the roof there are various elements or vertical walls, then joints with them can be decorated using the same valley. At the same time, it is necessary to organize good waterproofing in this place so that the ondulin does not leak. Owner reviews are sometimes negative due to the fact that this moment was not given enough attention. The leak always began in precisely such places.
- If the roof is complex or four-pitched, you will have to cut the ondulin at an angle. The dimensions of the sheet are such that it is not difficult to do. The lower edge of the first sheet is combined with the beginning of the ramp. In this case, the slope of the inclined ridge will be the line along which it is necessary to cut this sheet. With all subsequent sheets located above, we do the same manipulation. The corner joint is closed with a ridge element and is punched with nails into each wave.
Useful advice! Installation instructions for ondulin involves the installation of a vapor barrier under it. Builders recommend using a vapor barrier membrane made by the same manufacturer as the sheets themselves.
What other additional details can be used when installing a roof from ondulin
Since this material tends to exhale a strong odor when heated under sunlight, the roof and attic need regular ventilation, especially in the hot season. For this purpose, manufacturers produce various roofing fans that are compatible specifically with ondulin. They are mounted anywhere on the roof plane with nails in each wave. At the same time, the joints are well waterproofed.
Roofing windows are used to illuminate the attic space. When installing them, it is necessary that the top sheet overlap on the basis of this element. The windows are also fastened with nails for ondulin. Responses of owners say that the use of such windows is completely justified, since in addition to lighting, they give the opportunity to go to the roof if necessary.
Another useful element is a cornice filler. This is a gasket that is placed under the ondulin at the level of the cornice or under the ridge element. It is needed so that the birds do not penetrate the attic.
Roofs from ondulin, photos of which can often be found when viewing finishing options, can save not only on the cost of the material itself, but also on the details of the rafter system. In addition, no additional people are needed for installation. After watching the video, how to cover the roof with your own hands ondulin, you can cope with everything yourself.