Many of us still remember when the awnings were a gray slate structure supported by metal or wooden posts. They, of course, protected from the weather but made the space under the dark and dull. Nondescript structures were replaced by light translucent polycarbonate canopies in the courtyard of a private house: a photo of non-trivial forms reliably demonstrates the grace and functionality of modern canopies made of strong and durable polycarbonate.
The versatility of using polycarbonate awnings in the yard
The appearance on the market of building materials of polycarbonate, which has high optical and mechanical properties, has made it possible to successfully use it for various kinds of light structures: light-transmitting roofs, greenhouses, sheds, gazebos, verandas, canopies, summer showers, and many others.
Thanks to the plasticity of this material, it has become possible to translate into reality elegant design structures from polycarbonate sheets. The versatility of awnings with the use of polycarbonate lies in the fact that in addition to the function of protection against the negative influence of climatic conditions, they perfectly complement and complete the architectural composition.
The use of polycarbonate sheets for covering canopies is explained by a number of quality characteristics of this material:
- high impact strength – with low weight, polycarbonate is hundreds of times stronger than glass and many times stronger than acrylic plastic and polyvinyl chloride;
- light weight – provides ease of cutting, processing, and installation;
- excellent light transmission – transmits and scatters light, preventing from ultraviolet radiation;
- resistance to chemical and atmospheric influences;
- high bending strength, resistance to mechanical stress;
- safety of processing – it does not crack, does not break, does not give sharp fragments upon impact;
- durability – maintaining quality properties throughout the entire service life;
- fire resistance;
- heat resistance – withstands temperature drops from -30 to + 55 ° С;
- does not require additional processing, easy to clean;
- excellent design characteristics – it has plasticity, bends easily, has a variety of colors, manufacturers are constantly expanding the color range.
Helpful advice! When purchasing polycarbonate for canopies, try to choose a color that will create a comfortable shade of light under the building. Green is suitable for a recreation area, bronze for a car, and turquoise above the pool will give the water a natural shade.
By its structure, polycarbonate can be monolithic and cellular (honeycomb), having several layers connected by stiffening ribs. Giving preference to using one or another type of plastic to cover the canopy, you should take into account the requirements for the structure. Monolithic polycarbonate – heavy-duty, shock-resistant, durable, but heavier and more expensive. Honeycomb samples are quite plastic, light, due to light scattering, prevent heating of objects under the sheds.
Polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house: photo examples, installation rules
Given the plasticity and ease of processing of polycarbonate, the fastening of sheets to the canopy frame can be done independently. Plastic is well cut and drilled without chipping or cracking. But it’s worth familiarizing yourself with some of the rules and nuances of installation:
- it is necessary to lay the sheets with the marked side up, where the plastic is processed with a protective colored film, otherwise, the polycarbonate will quickly collapse. Traditionally, manufacturing companies put their logo on this film;
- when drilling holes for fasteners, you need to ensure that the distance from the edge of the sheet is over 45 mm;
- the location of the lines of the edges of the sheets along the length should fall on the longitudinal elements of the frame;
- it is necessary to calculate the exact pitch of the longitudinal supports and transverse elements of the frame to ensure the rigidity of the structure made of polycarbonate panels;
- for point fastening of sheets to the frame, self-tapping screws with special thermal washers (to match the color of the plastic) are used, and the holes for the screws are made a little more, taking into account the thermal expansion of the material;
- the sheets are positioned in such a way as to ensure the removal of condensate from the channels to the outside. The channels in the material have a longitudinal direction;
- if the canopy is arched, the sheet is positioned so that the stiffeners go along an arc, with a pitched canopy – along the slope;
- for longitudinal connection of panels, polycarbonate profiles (transparent or colored) are used;
- the end edges of the sheets must be correctly processed: if the polycarbonate is inclined, the upper edge is closed with a sealed tape, the lower one with punched tape. In an arched structure, both ends are supplied with punched tape. This treatment prevents dust from entering the sheet and at the same time ensures the drainage of condensate;
- when caring for the material, it is not recommended to use abrasive products or remove dirt with sharp objects (knives, screwdrivers).
Helpful advice! Do not leave the end edges of the polycarbonate completely open or completely seal the lower ends. Incorrect processing of the ends of the sheet will lead to a deterioration in the light transmission qualities of the material.
Polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house (photo illustrates designs with original lines) fit perfectly into the overall design of the exterior and provide mitigation of the negative effects of bad weather and UV rays.
Forms of polycarbonate canopies and their advantages
Polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house (photos of structures with various outlines confirm this) can be given any configuration. But there are several types of frames, most often used in the courtyards of their own houses and in summer cottages.
One of the first on this list is arched (semicircular) awnings. They are used to cover the yard, parking space, pool, terrace, balcony, porch. Arched canopies are often used with the support of one side on an existing capital structure or fence. The advantage of this type of frame is, first of all, the free flow of snow from the curtain surface.
Please note that when it rains, water flows down to both sides of the canopy. The arched structure is quite strong and damage to such a structure from strong gusts of wind is unlikely. The difficulty of self-production in the arched version is the complexity of bending the profile pipe of the frame.
Cascading canopy systems look very stylish. They consist of several semicircular structures located at different levels. Such awnings are used to cover a high porch with a large number of steps in order to avoid rainfall on the lowermost step.
If, when protecting the porch, you use only one arched canopy, it will have to be positioned at an appropriate slope, which will allow water to drain directly under the lower step. And the cascade design will direct the water flows to the sides. The manufacture and installation of such a system are more complicated and is associated with an additional expenditure of materials.
Shed structures of sheds are quite simple, but no less popular in the arrangement of the yard. The frame is easy to assemble. There is no need to use trusses to reinforce the structure, bend polycarbonate panels to cover. The main condition will be the correct choice of the angle of inclination and thickness of the coating, at which it will withstand the snow load.
A gable canopy is often used to protect barbecues, barbecues, porches. Its construction is a little more complicated in comparison with the single-slope design, but it is more resistant to powerful wind currents. The gable design itself provides better protection from rain and snow. The steeper slope of the slopes ensures faster snow removal from the roof surface.
Polycarbonate canopy structures in the courtyard of a private house
Many people prefer to attach a canopy to one of the walls of the house. Typically, such structures cover a fairly significant, if not all, part of the yard, which allows you to be outside in any weather. There are awnings covering the passage to the summer kitchen or garage, which also relieves discomfort when moving in inclement weather. Suspended structures attached to the house can have a lean-to or arched shape. The main thing is to correctly calculate the load in the winter period of operation of the canopy.
Other popular types of awnings are canopies. Usually, they are equipped above the entrance or porch, protecting it from rain and icing during the winter season. A visor over the porch will protect the steps from water ingress and prevent their destruction. You can equip the entrance doors to the workshop, sauna, summer kitchen, or basement with a visor.
The shape of the visors is different: single-pitch, gable, semicircular. Care should be taken to ensure that the design is consistent with the general style and securely fixed. The arched visors with ornaments of forged elements look perfect.
Sheds that cover recreation areas, playgrounds, and also act as gazebos are distinguished by their functionality and aesthetics. The variety of designs and colors of these structures is truly impressive. There are products in the form of a dome or a tent, using a combination of polycarbonate colors for various sectors of the coating. Small polycarbonate hinged structures over a complex of several benches and a table look simple and concise, where you can enjoy the local landscape, regardless of the weather.
Many pool owners build canopies over them. This greatly simplifies the care of an artificial reservoir and allows you to indulge in water procedures in any weather. Thanks to the protective properties of polycarbonate, you can swim in the pool under such a canopy, even when the sun is at its zenith: it will not harm your health.
The design protects the reservoir from debris, foliage, and rainwater. The awnings can be installed both permanently and have a collapsible structure. Monolithic polycarbonate with a thickness of more than 5 mm or cellular polycarbonate, if its thickness is at least 8 mm, is often used for coating.
Polycarbonate awnings covering a balcony or terrace combine functionality and aesthetics. Translucent structures reliably protect open spaces from precipitation, preventing premature destruction. Elegant forms decorate the facade with dignity.
Carports are made of polycarbonate. Photos of the best options
Carports that provide car protection are very popular. They are a worthy alternative to capital garages. Such structures can have various shapes, be attached to the house or directly to the garage, as well as be installed separately. Some models of canopies have a single-slope shape with a closed backside or are tied to the fence of the site.
The dimensions of carports are determined based on the dimensions of the vehicle itself. For small cars, it is enough to cover an area of 2.5×5 m, for impressive SUVs or family minivans, the size of the platform is increased to 3.5×6.5 m. The height of the canopies is also selected individually, but it is not recommended to make the structure too high, this will contribute to the ingress of some precipitation under covered space.
Taking into account certain characteristics of polycarbonate, such a coating is the best suited for car protection. You can be sure that the car will be protected from precipitation and will not overheat in the sun. By choosing a material of one color or another, you can adjust the illumination of the space under the canopy.
Many craftsmen install polycarbonate carports on their own. The price in this case will include only the cost of materials.