This article discusses in detail the features of choosing such a type of climate technology as a humidifier for children: which type of construction is better for a nursery, a general classification of humidifiers, advantages and disadvantages, consumer reviews, as well as prices for the most popular models. Check out our reviews of the best humidifiers for kids’ rooms here.
Why all parents should buy a humidifier for kids
Young children have very delicate and sensitive skin, which is extremely susceptible to negative influences from outside. With excessively dry air, the skin of babies tends to dry out, peeling and inflammation appear. Often, such climatic conditions lead to a stuffy nose, as a result, the child does not sleep well. Other serious problems arise as well.
The main purpose of this device is to maintain room humidity at the required level. In some modifications, the functions of cooling or heating the airspace are provided, although they are not basic.
The air humidifier with purification function works as follows:
- Due to the built-in fan, the air is sucked in from the room and then passed through the filtering system, after which the already purified air enters the room.
- Large dust particles are retained thanks to the pre-filter.
- The electrostatic filter removes microparticles and fine dust from the air. During this, an electrification process is applied.
- When the air passes through the charcoal filter, all unpleasant odors and gases harmful to humans are removed.
Note! In some models, the function of aromatization of purified air is provided. Such designs use special oils.
The maximum allowable temperature in the children’s room is 22 ° C. To achieve the optimal indicator for the child, it is better to maintain it within the range of 18-19 ° C. An adult needs humidity in the range of 50-70% for well-being, for a child 50% will be enough.
The problem of lack of a humidifier is especially relevant during the heating season because radiators dry the air by about 10-20%. And the higher the temperature in the room, the more dry the air and the worse the health of the child. Drying of the nasal cavity and mouth occurs, lung problems, which can lead to frequent respiratory diseases. For this reason, it is worth buying a humidifier to generate the required air humidity.
Benefits air humidifiers for children
Humidifiers are good for kids for a variety of reasons:
- Newborns especially need hydration, as their bodies are not yet able to cope with the dirty and dry air in city apartments. The result is dehydration, which can easily be prevented by a moisturizer.
- Airborne contaminants and microbes are reduced, which helps to strengthen and heal the child’s body, as well as prevent nasal congestion and the occurrence of diseases associated with the respiratory tract.
- Normalized humidity will prevent drying out of the skin and the appearance of diseases affecting them.
- The child’s immune system is strengthened, and the likelihood of colds is reduced.
- The child’s sleep is normalized.
- The overall development of the baby improves, his ability to assimilate new information.
- No additional means will be able to fully correct the humidity in the way that a humidifier does. These include wet towels on radiators, wet cleaning, or spraying indoor water.
- In addition to humidification, these designs allow you to clean the air from germs and dust. Devices can also affect the room temperature.
What type of humidifier is best for children?
There are several types of humidifiers:
- “Air washers”
- climatic complexes.
Note! Each type of design has its own advantages and disadvantages, technical characteristics and capabilities. Therefore, it is worth paying careful attention to all the nuances when choosing a humidifier: the humidity level of the room and its other climatic conditions, the needs of residents and their state of health, the presence of animals in the house, etc.
The principle of operation of the device is air humidification by means of moisture evaporation. There are two main types of hydration:
A device with a “cold” operating principle is considered a classic version. The fan in it drives air through the spray with water. This device is absolutely safe and can be used in a child’s room.
Advice! To increase the efficiency of the “cold” device, it is installed near the radiator. In this way, the evaporation rate can be increased.
The appliance heats up moisture by converting it into steam. The performance of such a device is higher than that of the “cold” one.
Consider the types of humidifiers.
The simplest humidifiers are “traditional” ones, they are also “cold-type humidifiers”. Water in such humidifiers is poured into a tank, from where it falls into a sump on special moisturizing replaceable cartridges. A built-in fan blows air through them and humidifies it naturally. Simultaneously with humidification, dust is removed from the air.
The disadvantage of a cold type humidifier is a maximum level of air humidity limited to 60% (since such a device maintains “natural” humidity, but does not forcefully saturate the air) and high noise. On average, this is about 35-40 dB – these numbers are not high in themselves, but this level may be unacceptable for many people when turning on the device in the room at night.
It is a sophisticated device equipped with charcoal filters and an antibacterial membrane. As a result of the operation of the device, air masses are cleared not only of dust, pollen, and wool but also of toxic gases and smoke.
|Simple controls||The need to purchase consumables (filters and cartridges)|
|Ionization of air due to the built-in silver rod||Inability to raise humidity above sixty percent|
|Possibility of air aromatization||Impressive dimensions of the device|
|Purification of the atmosphere from microscopic impurities||The high price of the product. This is the most expensive moisturizer. Such devices are more often installed in offices and hospitals.|
This device has the highest performance. The air in the evaporator is heated to sixty degrees, and the water is brought to a boil. This temperature kills many disease-causing viruses and bacteria.
|Easy to move and stable apparatus||Consumes a lot of electrical energy (up to 600 watts)|
|Equipped with several degrees of protection (overturning, overheating) and automatic shutdown||Very noisy|
|Can be used as an inhaler (has additional attachments for this purpose)||Does not support a fixed humidity level (does not have a gyrostat)|
|No consumables needed||Dangerous for children|
|Can run on tap water|
The principle of operation of the device is to spray moisture using ultrasonic waves. This is a modern and completely safe form of atmospheric humidification. Only boiled or distilled liquid can be used in such a device.
When asked which humidifier is better, ultrasonic or steam, there is only one answer: ultrasonic, of course, especially when it comes to a children’s room
|Automatically adjusts air humidity thanks to the presence of a gyrostat||High price|
|Humidifies the atmosphere up to 80 percent||The need to purchase consumables (cartridges)|
|No noise during operation||Inability to use tap water due to plaque formation|
The ultrasonic humidifier is not harmful to children and is completely safe. It can even be installed in a newborn’s room.
This is one of the most effective types of moisturizer.
In the body of the device, there are several plastic discs that rotate at high speed and turn liquid into water dust. The air flow passing through this system is cleared of suspended matter.
|Ionizes the air, destroying viruses and microorganisms||Does not remove odors from the atmosphere|
|Has a compartment for flavors||Impressive dimensions|
|It does not require special care||High product cost|
|Easy to operate|
|Humidifies the air up to 95 percent|
Humidifiers for baby: how to choose the best option
All of the above types of structures are, to one degree or another, suitable for a children’s room. First of all, the choice is due to the accompanying conditions and personal preferences:
- In the absence of budgetary funds, models of traditional or steam structures are suitable. The price for these types of humidifiers for children is low.
- If there is a need to purchase a compact device, it is better to pay attention to steam and ultrasonic models.
- High-quality humidification and air purification are provided by climatic complexes and “air washes”.
- If the purchase of replacement filters for a humidifier does not bother you, then it is worth buying an ultrasonic device.
- If the child’s sleep is easily disturbed by unnecessary noise, it is recommended to think about buying an ultrasound device or a climate complex. These designs are silent. They are also suitable for large areas.
- If the water in the tap is very hard, and the price of cartridges and filters for softening is too high for the family budget, the best option would be “air washing”, traditional or steam.
The highest quality humidification is provided by climatic complexes. Doctors recommend using them in rooms where asthmatics and people prone to allergies live. This type of humidifier will be useful to everyone who lives near factories, highways, or in the central part of metropolitan cities.
Note! The cost of climate systems is the highest in comparison with other types of humidifiers, therefore, if the conditions of the room do not require it, you can limit the purchase of a simpler device that will successfully cope with the humidification function.
Requirements for air humidifiers for a nursery: how to choose a safe design
All appliances and pieces of furniture in the nursery must be completely safe for babies. For this reason, special safety requirements are imposed on humidifiers:
- it is better if the device will not only humidify but also purify the air from harmful components;
- the device must be equipped with an automatic shutdown function when the water in the tank runs out. This will avoid short circuit and fire;
- it is worth paying attention to inconspicuous designs with a simple design. Too bright moisturizers can cause excessive interest in the baby;
- for the nursery, it is recommended to purchase humidifiers with an air aromatization function. Spraying natural fir or lemon oil around the room will protect your child from colds. These oils are antiseptic. Lavender oil has a positive effect on sleep, helps to strengthen the nervous system;
- so that the child is not distracted during games and sleep, the device must be silent;
- when buying, you need to pay attention to the design features, its structure. The body of the device should not have small elements that can be unscrewed. The weight of the humidifier is also important: the product must be either very light or very heavy so that the child cannot overturn the structure and get injured;
- it is undesirable to use steam humidifiers in hot air in the children’s room.
Helpful advice! On sale you can find humidifiers equipped with a “baby” mode of operation.
We tried to determine which humidifiers are best for children. From the foregoing, it follows that an ultrasonic or climatic evaporator will be the best choice for a children’s room. The ultrasonic device will operate silently, efficiently, and completely safe. The climatic evaporator will additionally purify and ionize the air in the baby’s room.