Every year modern manufacturers develop new technologies to achieve maximum comfort and improve the quality of life. Solar film for home windows can help solve one of the most common problems, such as heat in the home. Tinting has become widespread due to the low cost of both material and installation. By gluing the film, you can reliably protect the room from excessive sunlight and ultraviolet radiation.
What is the solar film for home windows, what functions does it perform
In summer, in a metropolis, the constant heat turns an apartment or house into a real steam room. Therefore, most residents are wondering how to protect the premises from the penetration of sunlight and reduce the temperature in the home. Despite the fact that the reflective film on windows from the sun was first used to protect the car, recently it can be found more and more often on apartment windows. The distribution of the material received due to the large number of advantages that car lovers have highlighted for themselves.
Today, protective films for windows from the sun are used not only in residential premises, but also in office buildings, shopping and entertainment centers, which are distinguished by a large glazing area. The main advantage of using is that without losing the transparency of the window, it is possible to significantly increase the comfort and convenience of living or staying in the room. Another advantage is the improvement of the appearance of the housing and giving it a more modern look.
The main substance from which the protective film for windows from the sun is made is polyester, and specific properties are achieved through the application of a thin metal layer. Here the main materials are:
Helpful advice! As a rule, manufacturers recommend gluing reflective tape to windows with the metal side. This method of gluing will simplify the dismantling of the material.
Many people want to use a specific color of film. Such a product will consist not of two, but of three layers. The third layer will be the material that is applied using laminator during production. This technology ensures longer color retention, and an extra layer will create better sun protection.
Modern manufacturers have made it possible to solve several problems with the help of reflective materials: some stick the film on the windows so that what is happening in the room cannot be seen from the street, and others – purely to protect the home from the penetration of solar flux. The simplest versions of products are capable of providing only protection of the room from the sun, and more expensive branded products prevent ultraviolet radiation from entering the room, thereby preserving the surfaces of furniture and household appliances from burnout and loss of color.
It is with the help of the decorative function of the coating that it will be possible to create a special shaded atmosphere, give the room comfort and, if necessary, fill it with the desired color scheme. It is permissible to use decorative film to decorate both the front and the interior design of the room, when it is required to set off or, conversely, emphasize the style of the room.
Benefits that can be obtained by installing film on the window
The wide popularity of sun-reflecting films for windows can be attributed to the large number of advantages that the user receives as a result of its use. Let’s consider the main advantages of using such products.
The ability to transmit visible light, but at the same time trap infrared radiation and ultraviolet light. All modern window tint films work this way, although earlier versions of the materials simply darkened the windows, but did not save them from overheating. The latest technologies are designed in such a way that the sticker does not absorb visible light, but the temperature in the room can drop by 10 degrees in some cases.
Keeping warm during the cold season. Window protection from the sun helps to retain about 50% of the heat in the room, which indicates sufficient energy-saving properties. The principle of ensuring this advantage is as follows: the material of which the film is made repels infrared rays in the direction from which they come. Therefore, the heat generated in the apartment does not come out through the windows, which is especially important for houses with panoramic windows or apartments with a large glazing area.
Creation of a mirror layer that does not allow prying eyes to observe what is happening in the room. This property is useful for both residential and commercial premises located on the ground floors or near other buildings. In addition, the interior space, thanks to the mirror tint film, is reliably protected from optical-visual observation devices.
Additional security. If for any reason a violation of the integrity of the window occurs, the glass will not crumble into small fragments, but will be fixed on the glued protective film. This will prevent injury and cuts.
Important information! Despite the fact that the window with the film does not crumble into small pieces, it is still quite easy to break it from inside the apartment, which is required by fire safety standards. This is because in the event of a fire in the house, windows may be the only way to safely leave the premises.
Positive qualities of solar film
In addition to the practical side of using films from the sun on the windows in the apartment, you can also highlight the aesthetic component. This includes the ability to choose the optimal glass color, which will be an excellent addition to the exterior and interior. Thanks to a large selection of shades (from silver to pale purple, blue or gold), it will be possible to choose the best option that matches the color of the roof or walls of the building.
According to reviews, sun-protection films on windows have such an advantage as the ability to protect expensive curtains from fading, because even high-quality textiles can lose color under constant sunlight. Due to the large temperature range (from -40 to +80 ° C), at which it is permissible to operate the film, both textiles and furniture will have a pristine appearance for a long period.
If we take into account the fact that the coating protects the windows from the sun, which causes an increase in the temperature in the room, it will turn out to save a little on electricity, which is spent on air conditioning. There is also the possibility of purchasing a device of lower power and operating it in an energy-saving mode. Cost savings will be especially noticeable if you paste over the film in an apartment or cottage with large windows or in a spacious retail or office space.
Another important advantage of the film on glass from the sun, most users consider the possibility of simple, self-assembly. You can glue the material on already installed windows. In this case, you do not need to remove glass, unwind frames or purchase a special tool. All that needs to be done before work is to thoroughly wash the windows with soapy water, removing excess moisture with a slip, and let them dry well. The entire installation process is unlikely to take more than a few hours. If there is no self-confidence, it is better to invite a specialist to do the work, which will avoid damage to the material.
Other advantages of sunscreen solar films for windows and some disadvantages
In addition to the advantages listed above, with the help of a film for glass, it will be possible to avoid fogging of the glass, which affects the appearance of the entire room, especially if there are no curtains on the windows. This is true in apartments in which “crying windows” are observed in winter. An additional protective layer will prevent the glass from freezing, which is why condensation will form on the inner surface of the window.
Helpful information! Few people know that after gluing the protective layer on the glass, the harmful effect on the eyes, which occurs as a result of too bright lighting, is reduced. This will keep your eyesight normal for longer. It will also turn out with great comfort to use computer equipment and watch TV, because the rays will not fall on the screen.
As you can see, the coating has a large number of positive qualities, the main of which is the protection of the room from overheating. But before buying, you should also familiarize yourself with the main disadvantages, such as:
- The fragility of the material. The surface of the film is thin, which makes it quite easy to damage it, especially if you are not careful during installation.
- Excessive stickiness. In some cases, the self-adhesive film on the glass can adhere so strongly that it will not be possible to tear it off even with the use of heating devices.
- Excessive darkening on cloudy days. Due to the fact that the coating traps part of the light, you will most likely have to use lighting items more often, especially if it is cloudy or dusk outside.
In general, the service life reaches 7-10 years. It all depends not only on the installation technology, but also on the quality of the purchased products. A poorly glued or poor-quality film is capable of peeling off or does not have enough light-repellent effect.
What is athermal film on windows
Athermal film on windows is distinguished by a special type of energy-saving coating, the primary task of which is to ensure maximum heat retention in the room. It is the relevance of energy-saving coatings that has led to the development of multilayer films characterized by the presence of several protective layers. Various ultra-thin sprays are created thanks to the use of rare earth and precious metals, through which the visible spectrum of light passes, but the penetration of infrared and ultraviolet radiation is reduced to minimal indicators.
Athermal window film ensures maximum heat retention in the room
The use of an athermal coating reduces heat loss in the cold season through window panes by 35-45%, and in the summer period protects the room from excessive heating. Due to such advantages of the material and the peculiarities of the manufacture of spraying, it is permissible to cover windows with a film that are located not only on the brightly lit side of the building, but also in rooms that are distinguished by a northern orientation.
A significant positive property is the creation of a special protective screen with the help of a metallized coating, which prevents electromagnetic radiation from entering the house. In this case, the propagation of electromagnetic waves does not propagate in both directions.
A high density of spraying makes glass with a glued film safer and increases the ability of windows to withstand significant loads. Many manufacturers are engaged in the production of a large number of protective films for windows, which differ in different bandwidth – from 90-95% to complete blackout. Most often, such products can be found on balcony windows, stairwells and in winter gardens.
Features of using tinting mirror film on windows
The main characteristic of tinting films for windows is the ability to completely block the ultraviolet flux emitted by the sun. Most of these coatings do not transmit more than 1-3% of the total radiation volume. Due to its attractive appearance, tinting protection is often used not only to cover facade elements, but also to decorate interior surfaces made of plastic or glass in an apartment. Depending on the specifics of production, the tinting film can be with a matte or glossy structure, as well as have a different density and thickness.
After applying a special coating, the incoming light is scattered, which makes it more convenient to use office equipment and watch programs even on an outdated screen, which does not have a built-in anti-glare system. Depending on the manufacturer and manufacturing features, films differ in size, appearance and functions. The most common surfaces are:
- sun protection;
Mirror films on windows from the sun can be found on windows most often, because their presence is easy to recognize with the naked eye. The main component in the manufacture of the coating is metallized polyethylene terephthalate, the main function of which is to reflect the solar flux. In addition, personal confidentiality is increased after coating, because it will be impossible to see what is happening inside the premises. It is important not to forget about the fact that in the evening, when the light is on, the reflective effect of the film will be significantly reduced.
Helpful information! Leading manufacturers claim that the mirror coating is capable of trapping 99.5% of UV rays. This allows you to protect your living or work space from bright light, associated heat and harmful sun exposure, increasing the comfort of your stay in the room.
It is this type of film that helps to retain the main heat inside the building in winter, because the heat rays are reflected exactly in the direction from which they come. According to the method of installation, solar-protective mirror films for windows are classified into two groups:
- External. Installed on the glass from the street side and are distinguished by the presence of an additional protective layer that can withstand all kinds of atmospheric influences. Products of light shades and dark metallic colors are available for purchase.
- Internal. You can buy mirror films for windows of any shade level. Installation takes place either between the chambers of the double-glazed window, or on the inner side of the glass, which is located in the room.
Other popular types of reflective window films
The so-called sun-protection film-curtain for windows is installed primarily in order to protect the room from the sun’s rays and at the same time maintain adequate lighting inside. Installation of this type of films is recommended only on windows with a south orientation in order to ensure coolness in the hot season. The level of the ability of such a coating to trap the sun’s rays reaches 98%, and the amount of retained infrared radiation reaches 95%, while the transmission capacity is more than 75%. In winter, installing a sun protection film helps to keep the heat coming from the heaters.
A special version of a protective film for glass is considered a cheap alternative to window grilles, because they have anti-vandal and anti-burglary characteristics. The coating is recommended for use by residents of the ground floors or owners of private cottages. In this case, the polymer thickness reaches its maximum values - 115-600 microns, which is almost twice as much as in previous versions of sunscreen coatings.
The films have a high level of protection this suggests that breaking such glass will be problematic. Even if the integrity is violated, it will remain on the polymer; it will not be possible to pull it out completely quickly.
Important! Some manufacturers offer their customers coatings that can minimize the effects of explosions, as well as those that have fire-fighting properties and delay the spread of fire and smoke for a long time.
Installation of frosted film on windows will cost several times less than installing frosted glass. A distinctive feature of the coating is high light transmission at the level of 87%, and the visibility from the street is minimal. Most often, frosted films are pasted over partitions or entrance doors in the office, as well as the surfaces of showcases. A large number of films of different shades are available for purchase. The main advantage is the ability to apply a store or company logo to a matte surface.
Decorative films on windows are installed primarily for the purpose of decorating glass. Currently, you can buy products with various ornaments or patterns that allow you to ideally fit the window opening into the surrounding interior and bring a zest to the room. This version of the film is often used on windows and partitions in the bathroom. Also, in houses and apartments with a vintage interior, it is important to stick stained glass films on the windows as the cheapest alternative to real stained glass.
What is the best solar window film?
The ability of a coating to transmit light flux is expressed as a percentage, and the indicator is the higher, the more sunlight can pass through the material. The density is selected based on the following indicators:
- the need to ensure the confidentiality of the premises;
- room lighting conditions;
- personal preferences of the owners.
What tint blocks the most heat?
It will not be difficult to choose the desired color of the coating in retail outlets due to the large assortment of shades. When choosing the desired color scheme, one should be guided not only by the surrounding interior, but also by the degree of light transmission of each shade. It is the color of the film that will subsequently become the main component of the appearance of the interior, because each tone has its own transparency indicators. Below are the indicators of the level of transparency (in percentage) of the most commonly purchased shades:
- purple, gray and bronze – 15;
- smoky – 20;
- gray, blue, golden – up to 35;
- silver – up to 50.
When buying a self-adhesive film for glass, you should not try to save money, because there is a high probability of purchasing a low-quality product. Cheap materials may have uneven application. In addition, they stick to the surface so much over time that it becomes impossible to separate them from the window, and it is recommended to change the coating every 7-8 years. In order not to have to regret the purchase and the money spent, it is recommended to initially give preference to the goods of trusted manufacturers. The following brands have recommended themselves best of all:
- Eastman Chemical. The largest American company with the most modern equipment for the production of film.
- Ultra Vision and Armolan. Other US firms that are constantly developing new technologies, offering the buyer functional and thoughtful innovations. They are considered to be companies that sell goods with an optimal price-quality ratio.
- Professional Window Film. A South Korean company that supplies high-quality film to the domestic market at an affordable cost.
- Sun Control. A well-known UK firm, but the main businesses are also concentrated in South Korea. The distinctive features of the films are premium quality and high cost.
Various methods and features of installing solar film for windows
Installing sun-reflecting film on windows is a simple task, but it requires minimal skills. You should not try to do everything quickly – it is better to spend a few hours, but do the job efficiently. If you are not confident in your own abilities, you can seek help from specialized companies, whose contacts are usually known at the point of sale of the material.
Before gluing the sun-protection film to the window yourself, you should take care of the presence of such tools:
- a spatula, and it is better to take not metal, but rubber or plastic, in order to avoid damage;
- office knife;
- spray gun;
- detergents for cleaning glasses or ordinary liquid soap.
There are three methods of coating:
- Inside a double-glazed window. Reliable overheating protection is provided. But the installation of the film is possible only at the stage of manufacturing the window, because it is located on the inside of the glass facing the street.
- On the outside of the outer glass. This type of installation provides maximum heat reflection, the coating is cooled by wind blowing.
- From inside the room. The glued inner part of the glass, which opens into the room, helps to keep the warmth inside the room, and in the summer does not allow the room to overheat unnecessarily. In this case, you need to choose the right level of light transmission capacity of the material, which should not be less than 30-40%.
How to install solar film for home windows
To be able to apply a coating without shifts, air bubbles and other nuances, you should pay attention to exogenous factors, such as:
- Ambient temperature. The optimal range is from 5 to 35 ° C. If you glue the coating at a temperature below the minimum recommended, it will take a long time for the glue to dry, and if it is too high, the glue will dry quickly and the coating will not have time to fix.
- Humidity. Despite the fact that in the process of work it is required to use a spray gun, you need to pay attention to the humidity indicators, which should be in the range of 30-75%.
- No dust. Before gluing, you should carry out a damp cleaning of the room so that dust particles in the air cannot deteriorate the quality of the gluing.
Helpful advice! Installation usually begins with surface preparation and cutting of reflective film for windows. To completely close the window glass in one piece, take a piece whose dimensions are 2-3 cm higher than the glass parameters.
Installation includes the following stages:
- After the window has been thoroughly washed, clean water is sprayed onto the glass surface: in this case, it is better to take bottled or distilled water.
- To prevent dust from floating in the air, it is recommended to spray a little water 60 cm from the glass.
- The protective coating is removed from the surface of the film, and the material itself is sprayed with water from the spray. This is done in order to prevent hardening and to make it possible, if necessary, to correct the installation flaws.
- A pre-prepared piece is applied to the window.
- Using a rubber spatula, water is removed from under the film – by pressing movements from the middle to the edges of the sheet.
After completing the work, a thorough inspection of the surface should be carried out so that water, air or dust does not accidentally remain under the sheet. It is also necessary to ensure that the film adheres to the glass evenly. After that, the excess material is cut off, the edges are tightly pressed against the glass. It is not recommended to touch the captivity for 5-7 days until the glue is completely dry.
Like any other protective coating, the film requires care and respect. In order to avoid violation of integrity, the following rules must be observed:
- Do not use any abrasive substances or detergents to clean windows, which contain elements that can scratch the coating.
- In the process of washing, do not use a hard sponge. The best option is a microfiber cloth or a special soft material for polishing glass and mirrors.
Helpful advice! The best surface cleaner is a solution of warm water and liquid soap.
No matter how good the foil for windows is, you will still have to remove it over time. For this, it is recommended to use one of the methods:
- Mechanical. It is carried out using a sharp knife, with which the canvas is cut into small strips and removed in parts.
- Chemical. For this method, you will need ammonia, in which a cotton cloth corresponding to the size of the glass is abundantly moistened and applied to the window for 2-3 hours. After that, you only need to rinse the window well.
- With the help of a building hair dryer. After heating the glass surface, the film is easily removed, but traces of glue may remain, which must be removed with a solvent.
The purchase of reflective film on windows from the sun is considered a profitable option, because the material is notable for its low cost and ease of installation, which can be carried out independently with minimal skills. In addition to the fact that the coating will reduce the effect of ultraviolet radiation on the organs of vision and prevent excessive heating of the room, the film will give the room a cozy look and make living more comfortable at any time of the year.