When carrying out repairs, I want to create an attractive room and at the same time not stretch the terms of work. Numerous types of stretch ceilings will help you choose the optimal design of the canvas, which will be an excellent addition to any interior. Matte, glossy, fabric and satin textures, which can be given almost any shape, do not lose their original appearance for a long time and are mounted within a maximum of a day.
The main types of stretch ceilings: the pros and cons of structures
Despite the fact that stretch ceilings appeared quite a long time ago, they still do not lose their relevance. On the contrary, canvases are becoming more and more popular, because new textures and surfaces are constantly being invented, and the cost becomes affordable for most buyers.
In the catalogs of stretch ceilings, photos illustrate that today materials are available for purchase, the surfaces of which imitate velvet, wood, stone or leather surfaces. When choosing non-standard options, you will need to be very careful when buying furniture and accessories, so as not to make the room too heavy and the interior overloaded.
When decorating modern rooms using bold ideas and non-trivial interiors, designers recommend choosing varieties of stretch ceilings with photo printing. Of course, the cost of such an option will be 2-2.5 times more expensive, but a room with an unusual design will convey the personality of the owner and will become one of a kind. Among the drawings, canvases with a starry sky are especially popular, which are installed in bedrooms or children’s rooms, and supplemented with diode ribbons and lanterns.
Important! The materials used for stretch ceilings are quite susceptible to high temperatures, which provoke deformation of the canvas. For this reason, it is categorically not recommended to place lanterns near the ceilings, which are very hot when they are on.
Like all other finishes, the types of materials used to create a ceiling differ in their advantages and disadvantages. Before giving preference to a stretch fabric, you should familiarize yourself with all the characteristics. One of the main advantages of stretch ceilings is the high installation speed.
Installation of a plasterboard ceiling in some cases takes more than one week, because you need to fix the profile, strengthen the surface with fiberglass, plaster and paint it. In the case of installing a stretch canvas, specialists measure the ceilings and after a few days they bring the finished canvas, which is assembled in one day. At the same time, the installation will not be accompanied by the formation of dust or a large amount of waste.
Other advantages of installing stretch ceilings
The installation of tension structures has many advantages, among which stand out:
- No need for preliminary work to level the ceiling. This will save you a fair amount of time and money. In addition, you do not have to get rid of the previous coating.
- Practicality. The space between the ceiling and the canvas can be used to aesthetically hide various communications.
- Lack of debris when installing stretch ceilings. The work is not accompanied by the formation of dust, which makes it possible to update the ceiling covering without taking furniture and other objects out of the room.
- Attractive appearance. Using high-quality materials, it is easy to achieve perfectly flat surfaces that allow you to hide any nuances on the ceiling.
- Reliability and durability. Well-known European manufacturers give at least a 10-year warranty on their canvases, although buyers claim that the attractive appearance lasts much longer.
- Safety. Previously, many buyers doubted whether stretch ceilings could be used in children’s rooms, because they believed that they emit harmful substances. In fact, in the composition of the canvases there are no toxic substances that are distinguished by an unpleasant odor or cause allergies.
- Rich assortment. To choose the material that is ideal for the room, you need to know what kind of stretch ceilings are in color and texture. In general, at present, there are practically no restrictions on the choice, because modern technologies allow you to create more and more new options.
- High moisture resistance and the absence of the likelihood of condensation. This makes stretch ceilings the best option for kitchens, baths, indoor pools and other rooms with high humidity.
- Elasticity. Due to the peculiarity of the materials of the canvases, it is easy to give the ceiling any, even the most bizarre, shape.
- Simple operation. Dismantling and installing ceilings does not take much time, and in case of minor damage, they can be restored.
- Flood protection. Due to its elasticity, the canvas is able to protect other surfaces from flooding from above. On the web, you can find videos showing ceilings that sagged under the weight of water, which did not lose their integrity.
- Shrinkage resistance. You can install ceilings in newly built houses and not worry that they will crack or deform during the shrinkage period.
Among the positive aspects, one can also note good heat and sound insulation qualities. In addition to the large number of advantages, it is necessary to mention the disadvantages of stretch fabrics, which include the following:
- Potential damage to ceilings with sharp objects. This mainly applies to PVC films, which are fragile and thin.
- The ability to tolerate high or too low temperatures poorly. It is best to operate ceilings at temperatures from +5 to +50 ° C, under other conditions there is a possibility of deformation and loss of elasticity of the canvas.
Some consider the high cost to be a minus, although if you recalculate the cost of making plasterboard ceilings, including the cost of materials and installation, then there is not such a big difference.
The most popular types of stretch ceilings: material characteristics
There are fabric and film coatings, and each material has different advantages and parameters. To figure out what types of stretch ceilings are and which of them are the best, you should study the characteristics of each and only then make a deliberate choice.
Fabric ceilings appeared much later than film ceilings. They are widely used. The fabrics are durable thanks to special polyurethane impregnations for polyester fabrics, which make the material durable and resistant to many external influences, including mechanical ones. These stretch ceilings are usually seamless and consist of a single sheet. Although it is possible to make custom-made canvas of non-standard size, consisting of two or more sheets.
Important! When ordering, it should be borne in mind that a covering consisting of one element will always be cheaper than a ceiling made of several separate sheets. Therefore, if you choose which ceiling is better to make, you should pay attention not only to the design, but also to the standard roll sizes.
Among the main advantages of using a fabric cloth are the following:
- the fabric is much better combined with other materials in the interior;
- the canvas harmoniously fits into the interior design and creates a pleasant indoor microclimate;
- the compositions used to impregnate fabrics are absolutely harmless to human health;
- the canvas is quite durable and, unlike PVC ceilings, it is very difficult to accidentally damage it with a sharp object;
- the ceilings are easier to install, because no additional equipment is required for their installation;
- if desired, the canvas can be repainted, but it is not recommended to update the color more than 5 times.
Fabric ceilings are “breathable”, which allows air to circulate freely between surfaces. This means that there is very little chance of condensation and mold forming on the fabric. This feature significantly increases the service life of the finishing material. A fabric cloth, unlike a film one, can withstand negative temperatures, so it can be used to decorate unheated rooms: balconies, verandas.
If, before renovating a spacious room, you ask yourself what kind of ceilings are in size, then you need to take into account that the fabric is made in rolls up to five meters wide, which allows you to close a large area with one sheet. The material also has disadvantages:
- despite the impregnation of the material, the micropores become clogged with dust over time, so the ceiling requires regular cleaning;
- the fabric absorbs odors and vapors, therefore, ceilings are not recommended for installation in the kitchen or bathroom;
- textiles will not be able to retain water in an emergency, for example, if the apartment is flooded by the neighbors upstairs;
- stretch fabric ceiling, unlike PVC film, does not have a wide variety of textures;
- prices for textile coating are much higher than for film sheets.
Other types of ceilings: brief characteristics of PVC films
PVC film ceilings are sold in rolls with a width of 1400 to 5600 mm, so this option is considered the best stretch ceiling for a spacious hall or living room. The film itself has a small thickness – about 0.22 mm. Nevertheless, the material is very strong and elastic, which allows it to withstand loads of up to 100 kg per m² .
PVC has the following advantages:
- A wide range of colors and the ability to apply photographs and drawings improve the design of any room.
- The canvases have different surfaces. You can choose glossy, matte or satin stretch ceiling patterns that will imitate plaster, painted ceiling or any natural materials.
- A correctly installed ceiling can last about 15 years without any problems, which will allow you to forget about repairs for a long time.
- With careful handling, the material does not require special care. It is recommended to simply clean it occasionally with a damp sponge.
- PVC ceilings are absolutely safe for human health and do not emit toxic substances or unpleasant odors during operation.
- Possibility of repair. If the integrity of the canvas is violated, you can not despair, because it is not difficult to glue the stretch ceiling with your own hands after a cut, for this you need a fragment of material, as well as glue.
The disadvantages of PVC-film ceilings include the fact that they cannot be installed in unheated rooms, since they cannot withstand temperatures below 5 degrees. Installation requires the use of a special heat gun, which excludes the possibility of self-installation.
What are types of stretch ceilings by structure and shape
Thanks to the elasticity of the material, the ceiling can be given any shape, sometimes even the most incredible. Various photos of types of stretch ceilings make it possible to understand that in a room you can not only create simple angular or rectangular surfaces, but also give them a unique appearance. It is worth highlighting the following main types of ceilings:
- Arched. The shape of the vaulted ceiling radically changes the appearance of the room. Usually this option is used in the living room or hall, creating a smooth transition from the ceiling to the wall plane. For example, in this way they depict a starry sky or a sunny day with floating clouds on a blue surface.
- Wavy. Most often, this type of stretch ceilings is used for a bedroom (photos are presented below). The wave-like shape of the structures transforms the room in a unique way, creating a feeling of expanding space and beneficially affecting the nervous system, especially if the soothing tones are correctly selected.
- Conical. As a rule, the cone in a stretch ceiling is located in the center of the structure, therefore, a lighting device mounted on a rigid support is usually used to complete the image. At the same time, you can select a lamp of any shape. This option is used more often in living rooms, spacious dining rooms or halls.
- In the form of a bell or a dune. This design will be a great addition to a luxurious interior; it is a hilly surface or a volumetric bell. To create such a non-trivial shape, it is better to choose a glossy canvas that favorably combines glare and reflections, which will add volume to the picture.
What are stretch ceilings depending on the number of tiers
Different types of ceilings are distinguished depending on the number of levels. The traditional option can be considered flat stretch ceilings, covering the entire surface. This method of decoration will be characterized by perfect smoothness, which will give the room an elegant look. If you choose the right color and select the necessary lighting sources, it will turn out to visually make the room higher. Despite the ease of installation, single-level surfaces look no less impressive than other complex structures.
It is interesting! It should be noted that the installation of a single-level stretch ceiling version is much easier than any other design. Due to the fact that the frame under the canvas is installed at the same level, it does not require complex calculations. For installation, it is enough to break the ceiling with horizontal lines at the desired height.
When performing a multi-level structure, you should first of all understand that this option will take at least 10-15 cm of the height of the room. Therefore, if the ceilings are lower than standard, it is better to refuse such an idea. In general, multi-level structures look attractive and unusual. It is especially good to use this option in spacious rooms where it is necessary to perform space zoning:
- in studio apartments;
- kitchens-dining rooms;
- living rooms combined with other rooms.
A multi-level ceiling will look more attractive if you choose the right lighting system, consisting of a series of spotlights. Attention should also be paid to the execution of joints so that there are no rough transitions from one surface to another. The entire ceiling must form a solid structure. In addition to the fact that high ceilings are required for a multi-tiered structure, attention should also be paid to the overall dimensions of the room. In a room with a small area, a massive ceiling will look too heavy and cumbersome, it can visually reduce the size of the room.