Waterproofing garage foundation with roll materials is the most effective and often used method of protection against the destructive effects of moisture in the concrete base of buildings and structures. The strength and durability of such an important structural element as the foundation depend on the quality of the waterproofing work. Contrary to popular belief, it is not so difficult to make high-quality waterproofing of the foundation with your own hands. Videos of the whole process with step-by-step comments are very much freely available. Here we consider information about the basic waterproofing materials for the foundation and the technology of their application to the surface.
Classification of roll waterproofing materials
All waterproofing rolled materials produced by the modern construction industry are usually divided into 3 main types:
- Sticky roll materials. They are strips of waterproof material with different composition, twisted into rolls. Installation is carried out by sticking to the surface that you want to protect, using adhesive mastic or, already applied to the material, an adhesive layer. For high-quality protection, several layers of overlap are applied. The most famous materials of this type are: roofing material, glassine, glassizol.
- Materials subjected to heating by a torch or a building hair dryer during installation. Waterproofing the foundation with roll materials by a fusion method provides very good adhesion to the surface to be protected. The softening effect of a special bitumen or polymer layer occurs with strong heating.
- Diffusion modern film membranes. This is a technological material, which due to the special arrangement of pores, is able not only to protect against external moisture, but also removes water vapor from the inside of the room. Due to this, the foundation , waterproofed in this way, retains strength and integrity for a very long time.
The first two types of roll materials are used for gluing waterproofing. The technology of each material has its own nuances, but there are general rules for all of them.
Technology of device for gluing waterproofing
From the name itself it is clear that such materials need to be glued to the protected surface of the foundation. This is done in several steps:
- They prepare the surface, cleaning it from contaminants, smoothing out irregularities and smoothing sharp corners.
- Application of primer mixtures, including special primers that increase adhesion to a concrete surface.
- Coating the foundation with mastics, which further enhance adhesion to the foundation.
- Directly mounting the roll material by gluing several layers according to the instructions attached to it.
- Drawing an additional layer of mastic on a surface of material.
- The device of a protective or decorative layer in the form of brickwork or sheet materials under which they make thermal insulation.
- Conducting drainage work with partial filling of the foundation with soil. To do this, at a distance of 1 meter from the wall, they dig a trench around the house, into which a drainage pipe is laid.
- The construction of the blind area. Its width should be 60 – 100 cm.
Waterproofing the foundation with taped-type roll materials has a low cost, but is often associated with the need for “dirty work” and the use of open sources of fire.
Useful advice! When installing the blind area around the building, it is necessary to waterproof it with the same material as the foundation. This will provide additional protection against water flows from the roof with their discharge away from the foundation.
Varieties of membrane waterproofing materials
Waterproofing membranes were invented not so long ago. They are made of polymer materials using a special technology that provides excellent protection of the foundation from ground and surface water. Installation technology makes such waterproofing very resistant to settlement and deformation of the foundation. Membrane materials are available for both vertical and horizontal waterproofing.
The vertical external walls of the foundations experience significant constant loads from the surrounding soil. For such surfaces, a profiled membrane is intended, which is able to distribute the load on the surface evenly. On the outside of the material there are tenon-shaped protrusions that perfectly protect the membrane from pressure. Moisture accumulates on them, which flows freely into the drainage device.
Foundation waterproofing by roll materials with a smooth structure is carried out while protecting its horizontal surfaces. A smooth film prevents water from rising through the capillaries of the soil to the base of the foundation.
Installation of films for vertical and horizontal waterproofing is carried out according to different technologies. The studded membrane is welded with a construction hairdryer to special metal-plastic guides mounted on the walls of the foundation. The smooth film is simply overlapped and then welded using hot air.
Waterproofing garage foundation by roll materials: vertical method
Work on the device for waterproofing the foundation with roll-type membrane-type materials by the horizontal method is carried out in the following order:
- Thorough preparation of the base plane. The foundation is cleaned of all types of contaminants and all protrusions and protruding pieces of reinforcement are ground. With severe contaminants that cannot be eliminated, geotextiles are glued to the foundation.
- Internal corners are reinforced with a special tape or mastic made of polymers. You can, in addition, install fillets on them.
- Every 1.5 m in length and 2 m in height, rondels are attached to the surface, which are necessary in order to weld the membrane sheet with hot air on them.
- The material is cut to the size of the foundation. The stock for allowances is 10 cm.
- With a hair dryer, the material is welded to the rondels at several points. To select the required temperature, you need to experiment. Especially high-quality it is necessary to boil the joints. This should be done with a double seam through 20 mm.
Useful advice! Smooth membranes must be glued on top with geotextiles. To do this, use special glue. This coating protects the waterproofing from damage. Studded and profiled materials do not need to be protected.
DIY foundation waterproofing: horizontal method description
Horizontal waterproofing is arranged to protect the bottom surface of the foundation from groundwater. There are a lot of videos about how to make such a waterproofing of the foundation with your own hands. However, it is worthwhile to analyze the process in detail.
Since the film has enormous loads from the entire monolith, the base must be prepared very efficiently. A sand cushion is laid at the bottom of the trench for the foundation, which is carefully tamped and leveled. Its thickness can reach 10 cm. Geotextiles with a density of 400 g / m 2 overlap with an allowance of 15 cm, which are welded with a hot stream of air, are placed on the pillow . A membrane with an overlap of 10 cm is already laid on geotextiles.
Useful advice! At the joints, the membrane must be welded with a double seam, so that a closed pocket is obtained, which is then inflated with a compressor to check for leaks. The pressure in this cavity should hold for about 20 minutes. If this condition is not fulfilled, the welding procedure is repeated.
On top of the waterproofing material lay another layer of geotextiles, the density of which is 500 g / m 2 . It compensates for the load and provides additional protection against damage. An additional 200 micron thick polyethylene film is additionally laid on top. This will not allow concrete to leak to the waterproofing layer. After that, pour the monolith of the foundation. This can be considered finished horizontal waterproofing the foundation with your own hands. Video of this technology allows you to visually see all the nuances of the process.
High-quality waterproofing of the foundation with roll materials ensures reliable and long-term operation, which affects the durability and safety of the entire building.