What Tools do I Need to Paint a Room? And How to Choose High-Quality Painting Tools

What Tools do I Need to Paint a Room? And How to Choose High-Quality Painting Tools

For high-quality decoration of the room, not only good materials are needed, but also a special set of tools. We already told how to choose paint for walls, and in this material read what tools do i need to paint a room and how to choose high-quality painting tools for various paints and surfaces

For each type of paints and varnishes you need your own paint tool. Saving on brushes and rollers, you run the risk of getting stains and a unique “pattern” of bristles from the paint brush or pile and foam from the paint roller on painted surfaces.


What Tools do I Need to Paint a Room

PAINT BRUSHES OF VARIOUS SIZES AND SHAPES – for small and complex surfaces;

PAINT ROLLER – for large flat area (floor, walls, ceiling).

TRAY FOR PAINT – for working with a paint roller.

SMALL CONTAINER FOR PAINT – for working with a paint brush.

DROP CLOTH – Really, no matter how careful you are, there will be drips.

DEVICE MIXING PAINT – for large volumes of nozzle-mixer on a drill, for small volumes a simple plastic or wooden spatula.

MASKING TAPE – to limit the area of ​​the painted surface and create a smooth edge.

If you intend to paint a large surface with one color or add color to the paint, prepare a capacious container for diluting the paint, since the paint in cans of different batches may differ slightly in color, which will be visible only after the painted surfaces dry.

How to choose a paint roller

The paint roller consists of two main elements: a handle and a roller with a fur coat. The material of the fur coat may be different.

FOAM RUBBER is intended only for water-based paints! Other paints corrode him.

POLYAMIDE FIBER – for the treatment of porous and rough surfaces. The pile length is from 8 to 20 mm.

POLYACRYLIC FIBER – for any paints and varnishes. It is characterized by durability, well washed, can be used repeatedly.

POLYESTER FIBER is a versatile material with good coloring properties, but differs in fragility and quickly “falls off”. For work in small areas.

VELOUR – creates a high-quality coating on a flat surface. Ideal for finishing work.

NATURAL SHEEPSKIN – effective with oil and alkyd paints, especially with enamels. Not recommended for water-based paints.

For applying to the surface of the patterns there are special rubber rollers with a raised surface.

Rules for choosing a paint roller

The width of the roller depends on the width of the surface that you will be painting. There are rollers with a width of 30 to 400 mm. The optimum size is 250 mm.

For flat surfaces, the length of the roller pile is up to 5 mm, for porous (concrete, relief plaster) the pile should be longer.

The fur coat consists of several strips. The roller, in which the strips are perpendicular to the roller, will last longer, such a fur coat can be replaced. If the strips are located obliquely, the coat is glued and it will not work to replace it.

If you plan to paint a large area, buy a roller with a removable roller or a removable fur coat and some spare consumables for it.


What paint brushes do i need

Paint brushes vary in size, shape and material of which the bristles are made.


Natural bristle brushes hold paint well and apply it evenly to the surface. Used with oil and alkyd paints, the best tool for working with enamels. Not recommended for water-based paints.

Brushes made of artificial fibers (polyester or nylon) can be used with any paints and varnishes, especially good for applying water-based and latex paints. Nylon brushes are recommended for painting unprocessed wooden surfaces (timber, board).


BRUSH SIZE (bristle width):

for surfaces with a large area – 75-100 mm.

for angular surfaces – 50 mm.

for decorative surfaces and small parts – 30-60 mm.


For some surfaces, brushes of a special shape are needed:

bristles with an edge cut at an angle – for coloring skirting boards;

narrow (30-40 mm) brush with a long-curved handle – for painting radiators of the heating system;

brushes with round bristles – for painting windows, pipes, baseboards, small decorative elements.


Leave a Reply