Asking the question of where it is better to put a humidifier in an apartment, you need to understand the purpose of its acquisition. If the priority is a healthy sleep of the child, the nursery or the bedroom of the parents would be the ideal place. It is equally important to correctly position the humidifier in the room in relation to other objects.
Choosing a location for a humidifier
Installing a humidifier in an apartment becomes a necessity with the onset of the heating season. The reason for the popularity of such climatic technology is the excessive dryness of the air in the rooms. Its consequence is overdrying of the mucous membranes, which causes a cough, worsens nasal breathing, and disturbed sleep, especially in children.
The location of the humidifier is advisable in places of maximum concentration of radiators, which causes a decrease in humidity.
Pediatricians say that it is an absolute must to put a humidifier in a room that is intended for a newborn.
To correctly install the device, a number of points are taken into account:
- For children, ultrasound models are preferred. Steam technology can cause burns, especially in the growing fidget.
- The appliance is placed in a place where the child’s access is restricted. If it is a cabinet, it is better to choose a model with roll-over protection and remote control.
It is possible to turn on the humidifier for the period when children are not in the room. Then a special place is not needed – a stable chair in the center of the room is enough.
In the teenager’s room, it is better to place the equipment away from the desktop so as not to damage books, notebooks, computer equipment. A suitable area is the center of the room.
Correct operation of climatic equipment is possible only if it is placed on a stable flat surface – a bedside table or a compact table with a height of 50 to 100 cm. If you put the device below, you can damage the furniture due to insufficient dispersion of steam and puddles that appear around the humidifier.
In the bedroom and nursery, the humidifier often works at night. Therefore, when choosing, attention is paid to the presence of a night mode. Its feature is a low noise level.
Kitchen and bathroom
This room, together with the bathroom, the hallway is the only room where the installation of humidifying equipment does not make sense. Constant contact with water, fumes help maintain optimal performance. On the contrary, if the rooms are poorly ventilated, the walls begin to damp. Therefore, in the kitchen, in the bathroom, attention is paid to well-organized ventilation.
An exception is a spacious kitchen with an area of more than 20 squares or its combination with a room in a studio apartment. With such a layout, the air-humidifying equipment is placed on the side that is not in contact with the stove and sink.
For a bathroom, it is acceptable to choose decorative ultrasonic devices with an aromatherapy function. The technique is turned on only for the duration of water procedures.
When planning to install a humidifier in a room that combines a dining room, a guest room, a relaxation area, the nuances of the arrangement of furniture are taken into account. When using the humidifier, the steam jet must be directed into a free area. Contact with walls, furniture is excluded (hard surfaces are covered with a persistent coating over time). The optimal distance to interior items is 30 cm.
With an abundance of indoor flowers in the living room, the device is located near the green zone. Plants love irrigation and moisture, so their proximity to steam units is allowed. The main thing is to ensure good ventilation of the room so that the humid air does not stagnate.
Where it is not recommended to put a humidifier
In order for the installation of a humidifier in an apartment to provide the expected result, the following points are taken into account:
- should not be placed on a soft, inclined, and wobbly surface;
- the distance between appliances and interior items, walls withstand at least 30 cm;
- the proximity of a breather and a humidifier is excluded (high humidity leads to the appearance of condensation on the unit supplying fresh air);
- Do not place the device in the active movement area due to the risk of falling and equipment breakdown.
We should also mention the rules for installing humidifiers for apartments with an aquarium. If it is large, the proximity to climate control equipment in the same room is not justified. The hallway is not equipped with moisturizing equipment – for shoes, outerwear, contact with excess moisture is dangerous for the loss of appearance.
The last nuance concerns the placement of equipment near the windowsill. If the distance from the radiator installed under the window to the device is less than 30 cm, the latter must be removed to a more distant place.
Let’s summarize for Choosing a humidifier location
The efficiency of work directly depends on the place where the humidifier will stand. There are recommendations for choosing the location of the device:
- The humidifier should be placed a short distance from the floor on a stool. The minimum height is 50 cm. This is due to the fact that water is heavier than air, and air flows down.
- The device should be placed on a firm, level surface. It is forbidden to place it on upholstered furniture, inclined surfaces, and unstable structures.
- The switched-on device is forbidden to move. You can move it to another location only after disconnecting from the network. Do not put the device on a shelf with books and other valuable things that can be damaged by water.
- The minimum distance from the humidifier to furniture, radiators, and walls is 30 cm.
- Steam devices should only be filled with pre-filtered water.
- Do not place the device next to household appliances and electronics. Fine particles settle on electrical appliances and can damage the microcircuit, as a result of which gadgets become unusable.
If there are plants in the house, the humidifier can be placed next to them only if it is not a steam device. The best rooms to set up are the bedroom, nursery, and living room. The appliance is not placed in the bathroom and kitchen due to excessive humidity in the room itself. It also makes no sense to put a humidifier in the hallway. Moisture and artificial lighting can damage furniture or wall finishes.
Features of devices
Depending on the volume, the area that the device can humidify will differ. A device with a capacity of 4-5 liters works on an area of 15-20 square meters, larger humidifiers for 6-7 liters work in rooms of 30-40 square meters. Models with a reservoir of 8-9 liters are suitable for installations of 50-60 m2. The higher the volume, the larger the dimensions of the unit itself.
There are climatic complexes capable of performing several tasks. They humidify the air, can include cooling and purification, and make the air wash. They are placed on wheels and have a lock. The size of the complexes is larger than that of a classic humidifier.
The benefits of a humidifier
Humid air helps the human body to function better. If there is fresh air in the room, a person falls asleep better and fatigue goes away faster. It also has beneficial effects on the skin by reducing dryness. The moist mucous membranes of the respiratory tract minimize the risk of viral infections.
Adequate moisture levels are also beneficial for plants. Lack of moisture leads to wilting and deterioration of the appearance of flowers.
An aromatherapy model can be used to eliminate anxiety, speed up falling asleep and reduce headaches. Just drip a few drops of oil into the water tank, and a pleasant aroma will fill the whole room.
Equipment care rules
Any technique requires proper care. The humidifiers are easy to use, easy to install and set up, and to function it is enough to disassemble and rinse the water tank every day. If filters are present, you need to keep them clean and periodically replace them with new ones. Compliance with the rules of operation and maintenance, which are indicated by the manufacturer in the instructions, will help the device to serve the declared period and prevent the formation of mold and plaque. It is important to carry out all cleaning actions only when disconnected from the mains.
You cannot repair an electrical device yourself if you do not have the skills. In the event of a breakdown, you should contact the master.
If you have an aquarium at home, enough water evaporates from it during the day. In large tanks, this value can be up to 3 liters per day. The evaporating liquid moisturizes the air masses so that the aquarium acts as a humidifier itself. In this case, the purchase of additional equipment is not required.
If it is not possible to buy an air humidifier, you can assemble it yourself. The device will also perform its functions, without having to connect it to the network.
You can make a device from a regular two-liter plastic bottle. Step-by-step creation algorithm:
- Use scissors to make a hole 5 cm wide and 10 cm long. The slot should be on the side of the bottle.
- Next, you need to take the fabric and cut two strips of equal size. They will act as a suspension of the bottle to the pipe from the battery. In this case, make sure that the hole is directed upwards. The length of the strips can be chosen arbitrarily.
- It is recommended to reinforce the joints of the fabric strips with tape.
- Then you need to take the gauze and fold it several times. You should get a rectangle at least 10 cm wide and about a meter long. One end must be released into the hole in the bottle, and the other must be wrapped around the pipe.
The device is ready. After filling with water, a homemade humidifier will perform its function.