The assortment of vinyl wallpaper is so huge that it is easy to make a mistake when buying. We suggest the advantages and disadvantages of different types so that you make the right choice.
Vinyl wallpaper by type of base
Vinyl wallpaper consists of thick paper or non-woven material and a polymer material applied on top, usually polyvinyl chloride. Consider the pros and cons of wallpapers with different backgrounds.
Vinyl on paper
Paper is the most common and inexpensive material and is often used as a backing for heavy, heavy PVC wallpapers.
- affordable price,
- a wide range of,
- can be glued to concrete, wood, plaster and even over old wallpaper, provided that they hold well;
- due to the fact that the paper is not translucent, light wallpaper can be used for dark walls ;
- convenient for pasting corners, projections and other irregularities, since the paper base greased with glue stretches a little.
- glue for high-quality adhesion is applied both to the wall and to the wallpaper, which significantly increases its consumption;
- the paper base quickly absorbs liquid, which also requires even more glue and an accelerated pace of work;
- when applying excess glue, the paper gets wet, and if it is stretched strongly, it can be accidentally torn;
- the paper base adheres to the surface for a long time, so the glued strips need to be pressed against the wall for a long time;
- after drying, the paper web gives some shrinkage, which can cause gaps between the joints.
Non-woven fabric is a non-woven fabric made from artificial fibers. It is stronger than paper, it is good for air and steam. Also, the canvas can stretch in any direction, which avoids folds and gaps when gluing wallpaper , moreover, it almost does not shrink after drying. Another plus is that the glue is applied only to the wall.
True, such wallpapers are more expensive than vinyl on paper, but in this case the price determines the quality of the product.
Vinyl wallpaper by manufacturing method
With vinyl foam top layer
This wallpaper is easy to recognize by its voluminous and loose structure, abundance of colors, patterns, sparkles.
- The dense and lush canvas hides the cracks, visually conceal the bulges and pits on the walls . Plus, under artificial lighting, a play of light is created on the foam layer. That is why such wallpapers are chosen for bedrooms or living rooms, or offices and kitchens, combined with living rooms .
- Foam vinyl works well on wooden walls, as well as on plywood or fiberboard partitions. It is sometimes glued to such coatings in order to zone the room .
- Some types of textured wallpaper can be painted (packaging must be marked accordingly). Most often, a water emulsion is used for this, and a primer is applied twice before painting.
- You can paint, experimenting with color, as much as you like, until the relief begins to disappear. Although, it happens that someone strives for just such an effect.
Hot Stamping Vinyl
There are several types of wallpapers in this category.
Of all types of wall paintings, these are the thickest. They have interesting, deep shades, intricate patterns. They have good light and moisture resistance, partly “correct” the unevenness of the walls.
However, they are difficult to glue. In addition, they do not allow air to pass through well, and this often leads to the appearance of mold and mildew on the walls . The latter problem can be avoided by purchasing wallpaper with micropores, which will allow the room to “breathe”.
A real field for creativity: a wide selection of interesting colors, even with imitation of different surfaces (wood, textile, brick). The wallpaper is durable, withstand mechanical stress. They retain a presentable look for many years.
Perhaps the most interesting type of vinyl canvases is silk-screened. They are made both on paper and on non-woven linen, weaving silk threads along the very top. Wallpaper can be embossed, smooth, restrained, or, conversely, a very bright, saturated color, but it always looks noble and expensive.
Chemical Embossed Wallpaper
In factories, compounds are used with which part of the vinyl surface is treated. The resulting canvases are highly UV and wet resistant. Since they are not afraid of moisture, they can not only be wiped gently, but also washed.
Washable wallpaper covered with polyethylene
They can have both a smooth and a foamed top layer. Suitable for rooms where cleaning is required every day or where liquids often get on the walls, such as kitchens, children’s rooms or bathrooms.
Polyplen is a kind of polyvinyl chloride. Washable wallpaper consists of several layers of PVC with the addition of various substances. Among them are plasticizers, pigments, stabilizers.
It is also called evaporated, because during the production process from PVC, all harmful components are removed, which evaporate during operation. Such wallpapers are hypoallergenic and environmentally friendly; they can be safely glued in children’s rooms. At the same time, they are quite durable, since they are based on three layers of paper.
Let’s summarize. Vinyl wallpapers have their pros and cons. Weigh them before you decide to buy.
Pros and cons of vinyl wallpaper
|Suitable for rooms with high humidity||For some time after renovation, there may be a specific smell in the room|
|Resistant to sun fading||Poor breathability. If there are no micropores in the wallpaper, mold may appear on the walls.|
|Serious competition among manufacturers, which makes it possible to choose high-quality wallpapers at reasonable prices||Wallpaper on a paper basis may shrink, and the joints between them may diverge slightly|
|Wide range of products in all price segments, including economy class||Before buying, you need to study the chemical composition of the selected wallpaper, since some factories use toxic substances.|
|You can save on carefully leveling the walls, since the wallpaper can hide minor defects|
|A wide range of colors, patterns, textures for different interior styles|